Best Gross Prize in Stableford!!

IanMcC

Visit site
How can a gross score sheet show points? A scoresheet surely shows strokes taken plus penalty strokes.
Maybe not for the first time you are cryptically playing with words, rather than just accepting the obvious. OK, its not a SCORE sheet, as it doesn't show gross scores at each hole, but that is what CSI call it, and the gross score sheet shows stableford scores without any handicap adjustments. I see nothing wrong with this, apart from it might not be a proper scoresheet in some eyes. It gives you the correct result though, so time to move on, I feel. I have attached a CSI screenshot of the print options, and also a section of a gross score sheet from our 9 hole comp today, with names removed.

Attachments

• gross score sheet.PNG
    gross score sheet.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Competition prints.PNG
    Competition prints.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 17

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
How can a gross score sheet show points? A scoresheet surely shows strokes taken plus penalty strokes.

That is plainly incorrect, the poster was referring to the Gross Scoresheet (or leadeboard) print available from the ISV for a stableford competetion. This will show the total Gross Stableford Points and so it should given it is a stableford Competetion. If the club wished it to show Gross Strokes then it would have to be set up as a Strokeplay Competetion in the ISV.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not read the rest of the thread so apologies if already covered,…but our system can work out best gross stab score. Ie, gross par =2 points, birdie 3 points, bogey 1 point etc
So that’s how I’d imagine it’s done in your circumstance Dave.
Hope You’re enjoying your captaincy ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I suppose the price is not technically lowest gross, but the lowest Stableford scratch score? After all, you could have two scratch golfer, A and B. A shoots 18 pars to finish with a gross 72 and 36 stableford scratch points. Player B shoots 3 birdies, 14 pars and a quadruple bogey for a gross 73 and 37 stableford scratch points.

So, Player A would have beaten Player B on lowest gross score, but Player B beats Player A on lowest stableford scratch score.

So, I'm guessing for clubs that give a lowest gross in Stableford competitions, Player B would officially be declared the winner over Player A?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose the price is not technically lowest gross, but the lowest Stableford scratch score? After all, you could have two scratch golfer, A and B. A shoots 18 pars to finish with a gross 72 and 36 stableford scratch points. Player B shoots 3 birdies, 14 pars and a quadruple bogey for a gross 73 and 37 stableford scratch points.

So, Player A would have beaten Player B on lowest gross score, but Player B beats Player A on lowest stableford scratch score.

So, I'm guessing for clubs that give a lowest gross in Stableford competitions, Player B would officially be declared the winner over Player A?

Are you assuming it is a scratch stableford comp . In all my years of playing I have never seen such a comp.

Swango1980

Visit site
Are you assuming it is a scratch stableford comp . In all my years of playing I have never seen such a comp.
Not sure, or maybe I'm asking the question to others that have replied in terms of what their clubs do? I've not played at a club that give out gross scores in Stableford comps, so never thought about it.

Posts 4 and 29 suggest their gross prizes in Stableford are based on awarding points assuming a scratch handicap. So, a player could blob a hole and it just counts as 0 points, but presumably still be eligible for the gross prize if their points total is high enough. However, technically the player doesn't actually have a lowest gross as they didn't finish all 18 holes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure, or maybe I'm asking the question to others that have replied in terms of what their clubs do? I've not played at a club that give out gross scores in Stableford comps, so never thought about it.

Posts 4 and 29 suggest their gross prizes in Stableford are based on awarding points assuming a scratch handicap. So, a player could blob a hole and it just counts as 0 points, but presumably still be eligible for the gross prize if their points total is high enough. However, technically the player doesn't actually have a lowest gross as they didn't finish all 18 holes.

We give it out (or used to) based upon gross scores. We always used to give a best gross prize in Saturday comps but not others. At one time it was a silver tea spoon.

The stableford comp is exactly that. One of my bumper payout Saturdays was for best gross and best Stableford.

wjemather

Visit site
Stableford is just one of many stroke play scoring methods. It is usual for nett to be the only result given, but gross is equally valid.

What some are describing here is operating two very different scoring systems (Stableford and regular stroke play, i.e. total strokes) in the same competition. Aside from negating the advantages of having people pickup and move on when they cannot score (especially accepting a 0 in favour of walking back to the tee), it sounds like a recipe for confusion.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Stableford is just one of many stroke play scoring methods. It is usual for nett to be the only result given, but gross is equally valid.

What some are describing here is operating two very different scoring systems (Stableford and regular stroke play, i.e. total strokes) in the same competition. Aside from negating the advantages of having people pickup and move on when they cannot score (especially accepting a 0 in favour of walking back to the tee), it sounds like a recipe for confusion.
Exactly right. For those that are looking to interpret the Gross scores, in otherwise a stableford competetion, as total shots made is this made clear in the terms of competetion.

CountLippe

Visit site

The Frank Stableford Open at Wallasey is probably the most famous. The main prize is for Gross points. Using 'best gross points' instead of best gross would have shortened this thread :ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Using 'best gross points' instead of best gross would have shortened this thread :ROFLMAO:

Not sure what you mean by this.

As previously said we pay out a prize for the best gross score ie the person who completes the whole course in the fewest number of strokes and a prize for the person who has the largest number of stableford points.

This can be the same person winning both prizes but in the it main means there are 2 winners.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure what you mean by this.

As previously said we pay out a prize for the best gross score ie the person who completes the whole course in the fewest number of strokes and a prize for the person who has the largest number of stableford points.

This can be the same person winning both prizes but in the it main means there are 2 winners.
They mean calculating a Stableford score for everyone, assuming a scratch handicap. Highest points wins the "gross"

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Yeah I know but apparently one was awarded in last years Captains Day.
So... can it be done? & if it can be engineered....
Should it be done?
Once saw it at Craibstone GC in an Open, absolute farce, how can you have a scratch score when it's points based?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe not for the first time you are cryptically playing with words, rather than just accepting the obvious. OK, its not a SCORE sheet, as it doesn't show gross scores at each hole, but that is what CSI call it, and the gross score sheet shows stableford scores without any handicap adjustments. I see nothing wrong with this, apart from it might not be a proper scoresheet in some eyes. It gives you the correct result though, so time to move on, I feel. I have attached a CSI screenshot of the print options, and also a section of a gross score sheet from our 9 hole comp today, with names removed.

HandicapMaster does exactly the same thing....it gives you the opportunity to generate a competition report sheet showing the Stableford points that would be scored if all players played off scratch....and it is called a "gross scores" report.