Best club near Tetbury

Bswarbs

Visit site
Hi all,

I have recently moved near Tetbury/Chippenham. Keen to join somewhere there is a good community and lots going on but ultimately a decent course. Any suggestions?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Depends exactly where you are...

Minchinhampton is worth a look. Two courses, good practice facilities and clubhouse. Course drains well too!! (Three courses if you include the Old Course on the Common)

Bowood is just east of Chippenham
Dave Thomas, big greens and bunkers. Might be your thing.

Chippenham itself. I've not played it since its redesign. But previously a bit uninspiring.

Players Club one junction west on M4. Some great water holes..

There's some to Google!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Chippenham, where I am a member is having a lot of work done in the next few years to improve drainage and update all the bunkers. Good social scene as well.
Some other clubs worth a mention are Castle Combe (probably a waiting list), Cumberwell Park and The Kendleshire. Lots of courses in the area to suit all price ranges

Bswarbs

Visit site
Just to resurrect, I put my name down for Minchinhampton but there is at least an 18 month waiting list so need somewhere for the interim. I live near Sherston and work in Bristol if that helps. Looking at the Players or Kendleshire but open to suggestions. I like the Manor but heard it’s not great for a quick round in the evening.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Unfortunately North Wiltshire/Glos is not blessed for great courses, as much of the land is clay, boggy and doesn't drain well

Chippenham - boggy in winter, plays 15 holes for a few months due to drainage, but one of the cheaper courses in the area. Quite tight with adjacent fairways.
Bowood - long, stadium course, lovely in summer but high subs and boggy in winter. Lots of bunkers. a few in the middle of the fairway which upsets people. Clubhouse not traditional and strange.
Castle Combe - high subs, drains well but buggy needed for the hill climbs, and quite a few societies due to reputation and location.
Cumberwell Park - average subs, about £1500 and 3 x 9 hole courses which are quite good but may be too far from you
Players Club - stadium course, well maintained but bit a cliquey
Kendleshire - nice course and good condition, nearer Bristol so may be a trek for you
Minchinhampton - 2 courses that drain well but subs are rising, members bit disgruntled with rising costs vs state of the course

Hope that helps. Any disagreements.. it's only my subjective opinion and may not reflect yours ;)

Bswarbs

Visit site
Unfortunately North Wiltshire/Glos is not blessed for great courses, as much of the land is clay, boggy and doesn't drain well

Chippenham - boggy in winter, plays 15 holes for a few months due to drainage, but one of the cheaper courses in the area. Quite tight with adjacent fairways.
Bowood - long, stadium course, lovely in summer but high subs and boggy in winter. Lots of bunkers. a few in the middle of the fairway which upsets people. Clubhouse not traditional and strange.
Castle Combe - high subs, drains well but buggy needed for the hill climbs, and quite a few societies due to reputation and location.
Cumberwell Park - average subs, about £1500 and 3 x 9 hole courses which are quite good but may be too far from you
Kendleshire - nice course and good condition, nearer Bristol so may be a trek for you
Minchinhampton - 2 courses that drain well but subs are rising, members bit disgruntled with rising costs vs state of the course

Hope that helps. Any disagreements.. it's only my subjective opinion and may not reflect yours ;)
That’s really helpful, thanks. I have lessons at Cumberwell and love it but it’s 30 mins away and nowhere near my commute, which puts me off.
Kendleshire is the one I liked the look of but never played and not sure on the practice facilities.

JayB

Visit site
That’s really helpful, thanks. I have lessons at Cumberwell and love it but it’s 30 mins away and nowhere near my commute, which puts me off.
Kendleshire is the one I liked the look of but never played and not sure on the practice facilities.
Practice facilities are pretty good at The Kendleshire, just be aware I believe it's quite a busy course and suffers a little during the winter months. Also there is a £400 joining fee, might not be an issue for you but needs to be considered if potentially only staying for a year or so.

Bswarbs

Visit site
Practice facilities are pretty good at The Kendleshire, just be aware I believe it's quite a busy course and suffers a little during the winter months. Also there is a £400 joining fee, might not be an issue for you but needs to be considered if potentially only staying for a year or so.
Good to know, where would you join? I’m torn between Players, Kendleshire and Cumberwell. In an ideal world there would be no waiting list and Minchinhampton but such is life.

JayB

Visit site
If you want somewhere to tie you over for a bit, depending on the drive Cotswold Edge isn't far from you, currently only around £550 for the rest of the year with no joining fee. Interesting course, open front nine and tight back nine. Unfortunately, the back nine I believe struggles in winter. One personal down-side to me, I could be wrong, but I get the impression the club revolves around the notice board and hasn't quite caught up with the times.

Chipping Sodbury is also only 20 mins from you. Nice course if a little long IMHO. Holds up reasonably well in the winter and it has a good social side and atmosphere.

Bswarbs

Visit site
From Sherston, while you're waiting for Minch, Kendleshire is the safe bet. Decent enough course, practice area and decent bunch of folk there. (Although I'm a few years our if date)

Handy if you're coming out of Bristol too
yes, that’s what I was thinking. The other option is I don’t bother and wait until minchinhampton and spend the money on lessons. I’ve kind of got to the stage where if I’m going to get better I need to play more.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
@D-S is right about Kingsdown and Stinchcombe as clubs, but I was thinking geography. Those are not miles away but not as close to route home.

Bunk out of work in the summer, then Kendleshire is on way home. (And you'll also pass the Players Club too on same road) I probably prefer Players of the two courses, but there's not much in it.

No idea what they are charging these days, I've been away for over 10 years. That might be a factor....

JayB

Visit site
Good to know, where would you join? I’m torn between Players, Kendleshire and Cumberwell. In an ideal world there would be no waiting list and Minchinhampton but such is life.
Sorry, I missed this earlier.

I can't comment on Cumberwell as I've never been, but If I had to choose from the other two it would probably be Kendleshire

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I always enjoyed playing North Wiltshire GC.
On the chalk downs at Devizes so seldom closed.
It was a friendly club [25 years ago]
Slightly scary first and last holes playing parallel to the road.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Cumberwell has 4 full 9 hole courses and a very good par 3 9 hole course. And not sure £1500 is average for subs around here 🤣
As mentioned, Chippenham is embarking on a big drainage project and also adding a path around all the course to allow buggies and trollers all year.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My little tuppence on this.

Mate of mine left The Players after being a member for many years as the club was becoming, for him, too corporate - focussing on developing the clubhouse, club non-golfing facilities and club visitor stay accommodation, with more than just an eye on major functions and corporates. All with the courses and the members down the list of priorities. He moved to Minchinhampton, a place we played a couple of times long before he decided to move…and we enjoyed both courses.

D-S

Visit site
I still say Stinchcombe or Kingsdown, 24 mins away from Sherston - Minch is 19 mins away - The Kendleshire 25 mins but a bit more accessible - Cumberwell 35 mins - Kingsdown 30 mins