Best club near Tetbury

JayB

Visit site
I still say Stinchcombe or Kingsdown, 24 mins away from Sherston - Minch is 19 mins away - The Kendleshire 25 mins but a bit more accessible - Cumberwell 35 mins - Kingsdown 30 mins
I agree with Kingsdown although it's a little out the way for the OP as not positioned between home and work, played a few times and really enjoyed it. Used to live round the corner before I started playing golf, if I was still there now I'd definitely be a member.

One downside of Stinchcombe for me is the amount of public using the area, I'm not the best golfer and can get a little nervous when people are in range

JayB

Visit site
My little tuppence on this.

Mate of mine left The Players after being a member for many years as the club was becoming, for him, too corporate - focussing on developing the clubhouse, club non-golfing facilities and club visitor stay accommodation, with more than just an eye on major functions and corporates. All with the courses and the members down the list of priorities. He moved to Minchinhampton, a place we played a couple of times long before he decided to move…and we enjoyed both courses.
I've also heard this from a number of current and past members.

Chemas001

Visit site
Just to resurrect, I put my name down for Minchinhampton but there is at least an 18 month waiting list so need somewhere for the interim. I live near Sherston and work in Bristol if that helps. Looking at the Players or Kendleshire but open to suggestions. I like the Manor but heard it’s not great for a quick round in the evening.
Did they not give you an option to join the Old Course first? Playing rights on the New Course after 4pm weekdays and after 1pm on Sundays, ideal for summer evening golf and effectively 3 courses to choose from for less than £700.

JayB

Visit site
Just out of interest Bswarbs, how much experience do you have in golf?

You say you're having lessons, are you experienced, returning or a new golfer looking to join a club for the first time?

This could have a bearing on what type of course to recommend, for example, while I wouldn't normally recommend The Players, I'm judging it from my point of view. If you're a new golfer, alongside the main course is a shorter 18 hole, Par 68 course and an 18 hole par 3 course which would be ideal.

Thornbury is another one, an 18 hole par 3 course and also the main course is open and forgiving, while I wouldn't call is easy, it can be a good confidence booster if struggling a little with your game.