Beginner at the range - what should I be doing?

Jack

Visit site
Hi,

I've recently started golf and have starting going to the range regularly. My question is this:

What club would you suggest a beginner concentrates on?

To date I've been using a 6 iron exclusively (this is what an instructor started me off on). Obviously I'll have loads to work on with my swing - but should I keep things simple and just keep hitting the 6? Or would you suggest playing around with a range of clubs from the start?

Thanks in advance
Jack

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The trouble is as the clubs get longer they become a bit more difficult to control. It's easy then for you to lose confidence and go home.
As I'm sure everyone on here would agree....
At the start, get all good fundamentals.
Grip, stance, posture, ball position, and finishing position.

Watch any good player and look at the finishing position most of them have....balanced with the weight mostly on the front foot and up on the toe of the back foot.

As a teacher, I don't insist on many things but a good finish to me is vital to a good swing.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oo... I was there last year, god old range!!

If I were you stick with your wedges for now and also only hit 3/4 shots. For example dont overswing. Dont use ny long irons just yet as you will get annoyed and probably stop playing.

Get ya self two or three lessons to sort out your grip/posture and stance.

OR

Look up clemshaw on youtube and watch all his videos, hes very good. Watch all the David Leadbetter stuff you can get hold of too and Butch Harmon :)

Let me know if you hae anymore questions, im only a year ahead of you but if you do things right its worth it.

Im currenly shooting low 80s after putting lots of hard work in :)

Mattie

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i've only been playing golf 10 months and in my limited experiance i would say the best advise i could give would be to spend as much time on the putting green as you do on the range. i ignored the putting green for ages at my cost.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
I accept Charly's point about putting but you have to get to the green first and this means being able to hit the ball with at least a six iron a few times.

What Bob says but in my opinion tempo is the key at the start and this will only come with confidence and this will only come when you are certain you are going to HIT the ball.

I used a five iron initially and years later it was still the club I turned to when I was unsure about a shot - the knowledge I had, that at least I could hit this club, helped me with all the other clubs as I moved through the bag.

Welcome on here and I look forward to your postings re your 300 yard drives in a month or two as it all becomes so easy!

Soco11

Club Champion
Visit site
Irons for me, if I e er change anything regarding swing or trip i always practice with a 7 iron, this is probably this is my most popular club in the bag!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hitting only a 6 iron would have bored me senseless.

OK, so a driver or flop shot with a wedge or 20 yard draw 3 iron might be getting ahead of yourself a bit, but I'd take an 8 and a wedge as well. Why not?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
pitching wedge and 6 or 7 iron if I had to only take 2 clubs.

Yep. It's quite common for me to put a 7 and wedge in the boot of the car if a sneaky range trip might be possible.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I'd keep getting lessons at this early stage and working on the drills you are given. However I'd then go out and play either a par 3 course somewhere or maybe a round (or just 9 holes) at a local course as you can't beat the experience of playing off different lies to improve your game

Jack

Visit site
Many thanks to you all for your tips. And 19thAgain, thanks for your faith in my as yet untested driving ability.

I think I'm going to spend a lot of time using the six. But also borrow a mate's SW just for some variety and see how I'm going in a month. Having more lessons is a nice idea - but funds are not infinite - so will see how this goes. Plus I need to save some cash for some second-hand MP60s that I like the feel of.

Man, this hobby is going to end up being as expensive in summer as skiing is for winter.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
id "personally" book a 5 lesson course which should cover the basics. starting with no tuition only ingrains faults, which are a bast*** to get rid of once their there.

My friend started last season, with only 3 lessons off 28 he was coming in with mid 20's points, hes first round was 9 points and he'd never stood on a green. now compare him with someone who plays with us and has done for over 4 years, and off 28 still only manages 3/5 points. the only key different between the two is one spent the money on 3 lessons to get the basics right first, and only had 3 or 4 range sessions before he hit the course.

You cant build a nice house on crap foundations. ;)

Jack

Visit site
id "personally" book a 5 lesson course which should cover the basics. starting with no tuition only ingrains faults, which are a bast*** to get rid of once their there.

Yep - I agree. I started off with a couple of lessons and hope to check in every now and then to correct any developing faults.

Am also lucky enough to sit next a guy who's done some teaching and plays off scratch. He keeps some clubs in the office and I get a few minutes of tuition most days. (EG checking my grip). Unfortunately we're not allowed to hit balls in the office (yet). But still good for basics - and free.

Jack

Visit site
5, 7, 9 and PW for me. Might hit a few drives at the end to lower my confidence again! ;-)

Hah. As much as I love the sound of a driver being used I don't think I'll be trying that just yet. Maybe I'll give myself a couple of weeks ...

Visit site
i am not an expert here but according to the articles that i have read the best way to improve or to answer your problem is to give much time practicing in your putting.thats all,i hope it can help a little of your worries.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Man, this hobby is going to end up being as expensive in summer as skiing is for winter.

I know the feeling, nothing like picking expensive hobbies!! Especially when money is tight!! Also just remember golf doesn't stop in the winter either, double whammy!