Beginner Advice

Salty J

Hacker
Visit site
First off hello from a forum newbie. Last September I was taken along to a local driving range by a work colleague for a bit of a laugh (I had no interest in golf but just went along with the idea). The following week I'd booked a few lessons, a few weeks later I'd bagged a set of Ping irons & a putter...To cut a long story short I'm now completely hooked by a sport I'd never even considered trying!

Having been practicing away faithfully on average 3 times a week at the range with a handful of lessons thrown in I'm just itching to get on a full sized 18 hole course. I've tried my hand at the attached 9 hole par 3 3/4 times which I thoroughly enjoyed (2 birdies in one round left me buzzing for days!) My problem being it's just far too busy which I don't like.

So far I'm only using irons and just starting to use the hybrid. Short game seems OK, just struggle a bit with the longer game. While I can hit the 7 iron 130-140 yds or so it generally ends up slicing 15-20 yds left of target maybe 6/10 shots. This is generally improving though so hopefully I can reduce the slices over the next couple of months & try the 5 wood & driver (which I haven't touched yet).

So there lies my dilemma, which is where hopefully I can get some advice. What sort of standard are most beginners expected to reach before hitting a proper course? I'd be quite happy to just play at the quietest times for now. I'm quite fortunate as I get long periods off from work due to rotations which means weekday golf is ideal for me. With my local club offering 6 day membership for £550 it seems a bit of a steal. Ideally I'd try a few of the longer shots from the tee with the 5 iron/hybrid. If it stays in play then great. If I loose the ball I'd just walk up & drop a ball and play from there. In the meantime keep hitting the range and build up to the woods, driver and general consistency. So, would this be an acceptable way to take the leap from range to course or something that would be frowned upon by others?

Thanks in advance...

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First off hello from a forum newbie. Last September I was taken along to a local driving range by a work colleague for a bit of a laugh (I had no interest in golf but just went along with the idea). The following week I'd booked a few lessons, a few weeks later I'd bagged a set of Ping irons & a putter...To cut a long story short I'm now completely hooked by a sport I'd never even considered trying!

Having been practicing away faithfully on average 3 times a week at the range with a handful of lessons thrown in I'm just itching to get on a full sized 18 hole course. I've tried my hand at the attached 9 hole par 3 3/4 times which I thoroughly enjoyed (2 birdies in one round left me buzzing for days!) My problem being it's just far too busy which I don't like.

So far I'm only using irons and just starting to use the hybrid. Short game seems OK, just struggle a bit with the longer game. While I can hit the 7 iron 130-140 yds or so it generally ends up slicing 15-20 yds left of target maybe 6/10 shots. This is generally improving though so hopefully I can reduce the slices over the next couple of months & try the 5 wood & driver (which I haven't touched yet).

So there lies my dilemma, which is where hopefully I can get some advice. What sort of standard are most beginners expected to reach before hitting a proper course? I'd be quite happy to just play at the quietest times for now. I'm quite fortunate as I get long periods off from work due to rotations which means weekday golf is ideal for me. With my local club offering 6 day membership for £550 it seems a bit of a steal. Ideally I'd try a few of the longer shots from the tee with the 5 iron/hybrid. If it stays in play then great. If I loose the ball I'd just walk up & drop a ball and play from there. In the meantime keep hitting the range and build up to the woods, driver and general consistency. So, would this be an acceptable way to take the leap from range to course or something that would be frowned upon by others?

Thanks in advance...

From the sounds of it you are plenty capable to go on full sized golf courses and have been going about it quite cleverly until now. Just have the mate who took you to the range take you to his club at a quiet time or play a public course near you to see what its all about. Just get stuck in really.

Whereabouts are you? Might help with suggesting places

Salty J

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm up in West Yorkshire where we are spoilt for choice with golf courses. So far I've been hitting the range/9 hole at Express Golf/Shay Grange in Bingley. I did consider trying Baildon GC but it looks extremely hard...The roughs on those fairways look like ball magnets! Don't think moorland courses are within my grasp for a while yet!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Salty J heyup and welcome to the forum. Does said workmate not play golf. Don't be overawed where ever you play.
good luck with it all.

Salty J

Hacker
Visit site
Unfortunately I very rarely see that chap now due to being on opposite rotations this year. As we work away I can't get out to play with him while on leave.

Not coming from a golfing background I don't know anybody locally who plays. That's actually one of the main reasons I'd like to join a club, although I'd want to be at a "decent" standard before playing with others. I doubt it's much fun for an established player to be playing with a novice.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately I very rarely see that chap now due to being on opposite rotations this year. As we work away I can't get out to play with him while on leave.

Not coming from a golfing background I don't know anybody locally who plays. That's actually one of the main reasons I'd like to join a club, although I'd want to be at a "decent" standard before playing with others. I doubt it's much fun for an established player to be playing with a novice.
You seem to be going about it the right way.
A lot of people give up to soon but it can take a while to learn the game.
Explain your dilemma to the pro at the club and he may know some lads who can help.
I personally will play with anyone no matter what standard they are some won't but don't let them put you off.
The main aim on the course is to keep the ball in play do this and you can play anywhere.
so hit the club you hit best if that's 7 iron so be it.
good luck you just need to meet a couple of decent lads to help there is plenty of them about.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm up in West Yorkshire where we are spoilt for choice with golf courses. So far I've been hitting the range/9 hole at Express Golf/Shay Grange in Bingley. I did consider trying Baildon GC but it looks extremely hard...The roughs on those fairways look like ball magnets! Don't think moorland courses are within my grasp for a while yet!

I'm a member at Baildon, joined last year and love it. The course is tough, extremley tough at times but an absolutely fantastic course. If you joined there it would be £29 a month for a 7 day membership for the first year. Go speak to them or go have a round when it's quite and see what you think. The members are great, very welcoming and very easy to get on with. Lot of things happening at the club and all very positive.

Shay is great to learn on but very short and after a while you'll out grow it. You've loads of options round about that area. Shipley is a great course and not too long, Bingley is a mix of parkland, woodland and moorland and is similar to Baildon on the top holes, Hollins is very long, wide fairways and loads of variety, Bradford is similar to Hollins and probably in the same price bracket. Further away you've got Otley, Rawdon, Horsforth (really like Horsforth), Bradford Moor, Calverley, Woodhall...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just get out and enjoy it, after all playing on a course is what most enjoyable about golf for me.

My first hit of a golf club was on the first tee of a Cricket clubs golf day, i was hooked after that. joined a club soon after, met a couple of guys who were in the same boat as beginners straight away, so was sorted for playing partners.

get stuck in

Salty J

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Quite glad that the general consensus is "crack on". Gives the confidence a bit of a boost!

Marshy77, have you ever played West Bradford, Keighley, Or Silsden? Can't help but think the higher priced ones will be wasted on me for now. Although I do love the look of bingley st Ives. Always look in with envy when walking through the Estate, stunning looking course. Certainly one for when I've improved.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Quite glad that the general consensus is "crack on". Gives the confidence a bit of a boost!

Marshy77, have you ever played West Bradford, Keighley, Or Silsden? Can't help but think the higher priced ones will be wasted on me for now. Although I do love the look of bingley st Ives. Always look in with envy when walking through the Estate, stunning looking course. Certainly one for when I've improved.

Yes, yes and no. West Bradford and Keighley are both really good course's. Like people have said crack on. Get on teeofftimes and book a few different courses and just play them. Played Keighley a month ago and it was in really good condition, club house is good too. If you could pal up with someone I'd just get out and play, that's what I did before joining Baildon.

rosswilliams

Club Champion
Visit site
I was in the same boat a couple of years. Got bored with the par 3 so just went out on a course and didnt look back.

dont worry about gour standard, just go out and enjoy it

Copernicus

Club Champion
Visit site
I joined a club in June last year at a lesser standard than you did. I was fortunate in that there was a beginners club within the club ( for ladies at least!) but many of the full members are really welcoming, open to taking us beginners out and letting us play just as well as we can while we learn. The attitude is very much 'we all started somewhere' and 'it's in all our interests to help new members'. They also said it was not a waste of time because it gave them a pratice round where they could try out new shots or different clubs and they enjoyed new company.

In fact I was worried - like you - about whether I was good enough to join and play and only got the courage to do so because I asked a similar question to you on this forum and got overwhelming advice to join and start playing, and of course I too am now totally addicted! So go for it.

I also used a five iron from the tee for a while until I worked up to a driver. ( though to be honest somevdays there's no difference in distance!!)

One idea might be to ask around if anyone is up for playing Texas Scrambles or Greensomes games for fun in a quiet time on the course to get you started. Takes the pressure off a bit. Also practice as much as you can and do so on the club practice ground rather than a driving range.

I'm still working towards being ready to put handicap cards in but I absolutely love the game and joining a club was the best thing I did for a long while. Go for it!

Oh and to actually answer the questions, the way you describe taking the leap from range to course was perfectly fine with the people who helped me.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lot of clubs will have a "get into golf" scheme at a low cost. As well as getting cheap tuition, this is a great way to meet folk in the same boat as yourself so a good source of playing partners.

Salty J

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you for all your replies so far. I'm back home on leave at the end of March with a full 8 weeks off to immerse myself. So I'm relieved that getting on a course sounds feisable! One further question, on the occasions I've been hitting off grass I've actually done better than when playing off range mats. Is this common? Not sure if it's the alignment due to the square mats/bays, or just that any slight contact between club and ground catches more?

I've narrowed it down to 2/3 courses that appear quite welcoming, so I'll book a few rounds in at each before deciding on which one to sign up for. Also just booked 3 hrs of lessons with the pro at one, so hopefully he can provide some guidance.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Deffo just fire on mate, get out there and give it a go. Tell the club about your situation and you're concerns about playing, if they are a decent club they will try to help. I get a call a few times a year from our manager asking me if I'd take out a couple new people, I always do it, sometimes mi just play with them once and they then find their own way, others I play with a couple,of times. Vast majority of members won't bother about your ability, certainly doesn't bother me.
Just go for it man and welcome to the forum👍
Oh and if you're hitting better from grass then that's a good thing, range mats tend to let you away with a multitude of sins, hitting it fat/thin etc.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was in a similar situation last June when I started playing, I had never played a full course before but felt I was ok, anyway I joined my local course and had a few rounds with members to get my handicap and had better scores than them in 2/3 handicap rounds.

Basically I think if you hit the ball well most of the time you'll be fine, don't worry about how far you hit it just enjoy it and try to go on a day when it's quiet. If you do 18 holes in under 4 hours I'd say that's a good time and won't have a problem :)

Enjoy