Been experimenting with putters

Hoganman1

Visit site
Well, it's pretty clear that selecting a putter is a personal decision. Since I think it's the most important club in the bag;please choose wisely.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's only one putter manufacturer that doesn't make a Ping Anser copy.........Ping.
I still have mine but I swapped to a YES GOLF anser copy, the Callie. I just prefer the feel of the ball on the C grooves.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a half mallet Odyssey #9 and a massive Odyssey V-fang two ball but still have a hankering to go back to the Anser style. I just think it looks so simple behind the ball. Unfortunately it seems to let me down on the shorter ones hence why it's in the spare bag at home. Might just get it out on a whim at the weekend

Boomy

Visit site
I’m currently using an old Scotty Cameron California Del Mar, love the style, subtle and clean and very similar to the Wilson TPAXVIII which is my second putter of choice.

My putters:

AE46890B-1A7D-41D9-940E-2E48F604DB6A.jpegA4A58850-E320-46FE-B866-E57875FB7376.jpeg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never thought I'd say this but I genuinely considered trying an armlock putter the other day. My putting has been woeful since we went back, and the greens on my new course are a nightmare too.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I never thought I'd say this but I genuinely considered trying an armlock putter the other day. My putting has been woeful since we went back, and the greens on my new course are a nightmare too.

You mentioned yesterday you dont clean or mark your ball on the green.

You would be amazed at the amount of times I see people putting with muck stuck their balls and they come up short.

Even a grain or two of sand getting between the club face and ball can dramatically affect the putt.

You ball can settle in a small hole or depression on the green. It's worth marking the ball. Checking underneath and repairing it if needs be before putting.

Every little helps. These things can be a large benefit.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Putters are great to experiment with....lets face it...pretty much they are the only club you can actually hit whilst inside a shop...so for that reason alone they have a pick up and try factor that other clubs cannot match. Roll a few balls into a plastic cup 6ft away along a well worn carpet and out comes the credit card and your turn up at home with a "new shiny" and the wife gives you a look that is part disapproving and part pity.

I've just taken delivery of one of these bad boys....wanted one about 10 years ago when they were relatively current but never found a decent example of one....but sometimes ebay can be your friend if you wait long enough....its a Fourteen BR-3, a bit of Japanese domestic market exotica....

DSC_1206.JPGDSC_1207.JPGDSC_1208.JPG

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

You would be amazed at the amount of times I see people putting with muck stuck their balls and they come up short.

Even a grain or two of sand getting between the club face and ball can dramatically affect the putt.

You ball can settle in a small hole or depression on the green. It's worth marking the ball. Checking underneath and repairing it if needs be before putting.

You're not wrong. A number of times I've marked and checked the ball only to find some muck on it somewhere that you can't see from the top.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Putters are great to experiment with....lets face it...pretty much they are the only club you can actually hit whilst inside a shop...so for that reason alone they have a pick up and try factor that other clubs cannot match. Roll o few balls into a plastic cup 6ft away along a well work carpet and out comes the credit card and your turn up at home with a "new shiny" and the wife gives you a look that is part disapproving and part pity.

I've just taken delivery of one of these bad boys....wanted one about 10 years ago when they were relatively current but never found a decent example of one....but sometimes ebay can be your friend if you wait long enough....its a Fourteen BR-3, a bit of Japanese domestic market exotica....

View attachment 36499View attachment 36500View attachment 36501
Wow! That's an "interesting" looking putter.

Boomy

Visit site
I had one of those Wilson's back in the day. Traded it in and regretted it ever since!

They’re a superb putter, and gave aged really well. I was the same, I sold my original Wilson years ago but you can still pick them up on eBay. I have two, a mint original condition one with the original grip and shaft and the one pictured which has had a new 33” shaft fitted. Worth looking on eBay, golfbidder had one on too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

The amount I miss by it can't just be that. :LOL: It's normally a total misread by me. Cheers for the advice though, I know I should clean if I'm just out of a bunker or something but often too lazy.

YandaB

Visit site
The amount I miss by it can't just be that. :LOL: It's normally a total misread by me. Cheers for the advice though, I know I should clean if I'm just out of a bunker or something but often too lazy.
I'm faily sure that an armlock putter won't help with that :D

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I use a Ben Sayers Opel Line that I bought brand new in 1989 for £25. I still have the one that this replaced which was a Petron Impala that I bought second hand mid-1970s for a fiver.
Almost all good amateur players whose putting I have admired are (or were) using a putter that they have used for a long time and most often it is (or was) a fairly simple design.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got a Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 lovely putter and a firm feel, had it since 2017, fancy a change and am eyeing up a Scotty or Toulon Design. Strangely if I do go with a SC I'll got with the newport 'anser' style, but I'd go with the Las Vegas H7 Mallet style in the Toulon.

Best answer is to try out a few and see what ticks all the boxes.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I use a Ben Sayers Opel Line that I bought brand new in 1989 for £25. I still have the one that this replaced which was a Petron Impala that I bought second hand mid-1970s for a fiver.
Almost all good amateur players whose putting I have admired are (or were) using a putter that they have used for a long time and most often it is (or was) a fairly simple design.

I've got a couple of Petron putters and one of them is an Impala!
The U1 model as shown below on the designer draining board, nice putter.

I've not heard of the Ben Sayers Opel Line, was it anything to do with the car brand, maybe a sponsored club?

1620400589410.png

Diamond

Visit site
I have used the Odyssey White Hot Pro with a jumbo grip. I have found that it doesn’t always swing through straight and it looks like it twists a bit now and then. I have a Rosasco 1970 hickory putter I bought a year ago off eBay. Has a great feel to it but haven’t had the nerve to use it on the course. It never appears to twist on follow through like the Odyssey does.

Attachments

• FF909A27-0C24-4471-881B-268CA7C666EC.jpeg
    FF909A27-0C24-4471-881B-268CA7C666EC.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 5