Been experimenting with putters

bradleywedge

Visit site
In that the last 3 I have bought have all been mallet putters. After using the same blade putter for 25 years thought I was ready for a change. How wrong I was, all 3 putters since I have not taken to. Finally resorted to going to one of these (hopefully the last one I will buy):

51263_400x400.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whatever benefits they're meant to offer, I could never stand to look at the huge mallet putters and ones that look like a Klingon bird of prey. Don't suit my eye at all. Current putter is a wide blade and it's spot on. So much better to look down at.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In that the last 3 I have bought have all been mallet putters. After using the same blade putter for 25 years thought I was ready for a change. How wrong I was, all 3 putters since I have not taken to. Finally resorted to going to one of these (hopefully the last one I will buy):

51263_400x400.jpg

Oh how naive, ha ha. I hope your search is ended though, it is a handsome beast.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Whatever benefits they're meant to offer, I could never stand to look at the huge mallet putters and ones that look like a Klingon bird of prey. Don't suit my eye at all. Current putter is a wide blade and it's spot on. So much better to look down at.

Yes, those are my thoughts too, I thought I putted straight through with no arc, hence the use of the mallet, but in hindsight I think I have a slight arc in my putting stroke, so that is why a blade style putter should suit.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Mmmm - My Scotty is in the naughty cupboard at the moment while I have a summer fling with the old favourite Ping B62.

Problem with this is that for the first time in her life my missus is struggling on the greens - she's voiced an opinion that she might try out the Scotty - as it's very different from her normal mallet type putter I'd doubt she'd get on with it - but what if she does.

Hoganman1

Visit site
You cannot go wrong with an "Anser" type putter. Especially if it's a Scotty Cameron. I have an old Pro Platinum Newport that I putted with for years. My current putter is an Odyssey White Hot Tour that's over ten years old. If it ever goes sour I'll probably go back to the Scotty. I've actually never tried a mallet. It was hard enough going from my 8813 blade type to an Anser type back in the 80s.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
It hurts that its the case but the best putter i have at my disposal is a frankenstein armlock i made from an old scotty cameron studio

Been practicing a lot with the Concept X Scotty which is a blade with wings on the back to give it some additional stability, plenty of similar designs in the ping and oddyssey range.

I've started to find good success with that now i've got used to it. I can still get the yips with that though the however the armlock I honestly never miss a thing under 6 foot as its so robotic I never push or pull short putts with the yips under pressure. I get some stick for it though when it comes out but in match play it finds the bag every time when i feel the pressure.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It hurts that its the case but the best putter i have at my disposal is a frankenstein armlock i made from an old scotty cameron pro platinum.

Been practicing a lot with the Concept X Scotty which is a blade with wings on the back to give it some additional stability, plenty of similar designs in the ping and oddyssey range.

I've started to find good success with that now i've got used to it. I can still get the yips with that though the however the armlock I honestly never miss a thing under 6 foot as its so robotic I never push or pull short putts with the yips under pressure. I get some stick for it though when it comes out but in match play it finds the bag every time when i feel the pressure.
That's interesting. I remember you talking about making that. I have a normal 35 inch putter, but I changed my grip ever so slightly at the start of this year I think, so the top inch of the grip is above my hands and pressed against my left wrist. Like a tiny miniature arm lock (wrist lock?). And my putting has been so much improved since I did it. I think it just gives the putter a little bit of forward lean to get the ball rolling, and stops it turning off line as much. Would be fun to try an arm lock as an extension (literally) of the same concept, but I just couldn't bare to have such a long putter in the bag I don't think.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
That's interesting. I remember you talking about making that. I have a normal 35 inch putter, but I changed my grip ever so slightly at the start of this year I think, so the top inch of the grip is above my hands and pressed against my left wrist. Like a tiny miniature arm lock (wrist lock?). And my putting has been so much improved since I did it. I think it just gives the putter a little bit of forward lean to get the ball rolling, and stops it turning off line as much. Would be fun to try an arm lock as an extension (literally) of the same concept, but I just couldn't bare to have such a long putter in the bag I don't think.

Yeah ive always put with a bit of shaft lean and it does suit my style, i can see how even that could help to a degree anything is helping to steady the putter, especially if you can get handsy under pressure.

The length is a lot it sticks out like the driver almost and the grip is so fat that it's a nightmare getting clubs tangled together in the bag. I refuse to use it when playing with new people as it becomes the main topic for the round and had an old goat was adamant i was a cheat and anchoring. I'd much rather just get good with a more traditional putter but there are certainly some advantages with it for me at least.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Oh yes you can....(y)(n):poop::ROFLMAO:
You're right. Many people prefer mallets. I was just trying to affirm his decision. I think good putting come from confidence. If he's committed to his Scotty "Anser type" he will probably make more putts.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cameron putters are not for everyone, much easier and more forgiving to stick to one with an insert. Can't go wrong with an Odyssey.
Cameron putters used to be great quality, milled in the USA, now mass produced in China with huge prices - not for me.

D

Deleted member 3432

Cameron putters are not for everyone, much easier and more forgiving to stick to one with an insert. Can't go wrong with an Odyssey.
Cameron putters used to be great quality, milled in the USA, now mass produced in China with huge prices - not for me.

I can't for the life of me lag putt with the Odyssey insert, its like hitting it with a wet sponge to me.

I very much prefer a firmer feel, just need to find a No7 slant neck head shape that rolls it like a Yes putter then I would be very happy.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't for the life of me lag putt with the Odyssey insert, its like hitting it with a wet sponge to me.

I very much prefer a firmer feel, just need to find a No7 slant neck head shape that rolls it like a Yes putter then I would be very happy.

Odyssey inserts are not soft, except for maybe the white hot rx. The metal x insert was rubbish.
I had a few Camerons about 15 years ago and they were lovely to look at but found that the ball could jump off the face.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Go to a SAM lab and see what type of putter type is best for your stroke.

Then get that type of putter and narrow it down until you get the one that works best for you.

I have a Seemore Giant thing and it’s the only club in the bag that is safe

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Then get that type of putter and narrow it down until you get the one that works best for you.

The rest must be really bad then..

D

Deleted member 3432

Odyssey inserts are not soft, except for maybe the white hot rx. The metal x insert was rubbish.
I had a few Camerons about 15 years ago and they were lovely to look at but found that the ball could jump off the face.

I think with the Odyssey insert (one of the microhinge jobs) the the sound of the contact is so muted I get no feedback so never seem to have the pace of the greens. Probably the sound making me think its soft, whatever it is, it doesn't work for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ah, a guy at my club has one of those! I never would have believed how aptly named it is until I saw it. The head genuinely looks like a blade putter made for a giant. Absolutely massive! :LOL: