Been away from golf for a year??

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Due to family commitments I had to let my membership go at my local links last year after the birth of my 2nd child and just lack of time to play .So after a year out I'm coming back but I'm going to join my local parkland which is a on my doorstep so I can midweek practice when the kids are in bed ect .last going off I was playing off a 11 handicap at the links which was also very long which has held the British amateur championships numerous times so it was always a challenge if you had a bad day the course would hang you out .I'm hoping because I won't be fighting the wind ect ,going back to parkland golf will be a bit more forgiving and help me improve quicker too .whats people's views anyone had some time off and gone back playing how long until you got back into your former form cheers in advance .

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You'll probably find the long/medium game comes back within a few range sessions or rounds.
The short game always takes longer for me when I've had enforced layoffs.
I was out for a year with a busted ankle and the short game took a few months to recover where the rest took a couple of weeks.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think lots of golfers will tell you links golf is the proper golf.
Having said that, hitting a 3 iron off a tight links fairway in March isn't easy, just don't thin it.
If you're getting back into golf, The lush parkland fairways will be more forgiving and easier to hit off, once they dry out.
As for getting back your old game, it depends how often you play and practice.
The long game will probably come back quicker than the short game so get down to the chipping/putting green and spend some time there.

One thing which may happen is your first game back could be brilliant.
You have no expectations and feel no pressure but then you start trying harder and it gets worse.
Don't worry, just play as often as your situation allows and enjoy it.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know what to expect first game back to be honest ,I'm expecting to be spreying the ball everywhere the first few rounds but I'm going to try and get plenty of practice with the putting and chipping and yes I'm hoping going back to the parkland fairways will help a lot plus it's a lovely course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't know what to expect first game back to be honest ,I'm expecting to be spreying the ball everywhere the first few rounds but I'm going to try and get plenty of practice with the putting and chipping and yes I'm hoping going back to the parkland fairways will help a lot plus it's a lovely course

Why not get a lesson or two once you start again and just get the basics sorted before you start working on the game and make sure you're doing the right things and that you're working on the right things

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why not get a lesson or two once you start again and just get the basics sorted before you start working on the game and make sure you're doing the right things and that you're working on the right things

Contrary to what you my think, lessons are not the be-all-and-end-all!

And in Post 4, someone who makes his living providing lessons doesn't suggests them! And gives highly appropriate advice imo!

Lessons may be useful eventually, but simply experiencing/enjoying the return is much more important initially imo! Certainly given the reasons for the break!