Becoming a parent / impact on your golf

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
If they’ve got clubs every night if the week and football at weekend, they need to rein it in.

Through the winter I’ve agreed to let my 12 year old play footy on a Sunday (which he loves) but Saturday is for golf - he plays with me either having a knock or in the comps.

Get your kids some golf clubs and tell them “this is how it’s going to work from now on” ;-)
My kids have clubs and do occasionally come round with me but to be honest it's more fun for them than me.
As for reiging in the clubs unfortunately the wife is of the opinion that they should try everything. Hopefully they'll thank me one day. My daughter has already told me the money from her first major acting job will get me a villa in Spain. ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My kids have clubs and do occasionally come round with me but to be honest it's more fun for them than me.
As for reiging in the clubs unfortunately the wife is of the opinion that they should try everything. Hopefully they'll thank me one day. My daughter has already told me the money from her first major acting job will get me a villa in Spain. ?

Well hopefully it does buddy, then all you’ve got to worry about are the green fees to play golf ;-)

Albo

Visit site
My 2 have clubs every day of the week apart from Friday. One of them has football every day of the week other than Friday in fact. Most nights they both have something on.
I also coach football for them Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. I just have to find ways to fit golf in around parenting at the moment.
Thankfully football on a weekend is always mornings so I can usually get a game in the afternoon. And I am lucky in so far as sometimes able to leave work at 3 and get a game in before the kids have clubs on an evening. It is possible but I have to be very fast and lose with my playing times which means playing with others is often a no no.
Works for me though

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Haven't swang a club since October and my motivation for winter golf since having the bairn has definitely completely disappeared

will have a few range/simulator sessions soon though i think.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I played more! I was coming home from work and taking over from my wife so she could sleep as she also did the nights with me getting up early to go to work. She recognised that I needed a break too so I got Saturdays and Sundays was a family day.

It worked really well.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Albo

Visit site
Haha that looks great!

We ended up getting a bugaboo donkey pram which has an extendable side. I've often eyed it up and wondered how I could jig it to fit a pencil bag in.

If my course was a flat one I'd definitely consider taking the pram out for 9 in the evenings/mornings but it’s pretty hilly and bumpy.
Our youngest only ever used to sleep when out for a walk in his pram if you were going over rough ground, we used to scope out streets with bumpy pavements to walk him down so he’s actually go to sleep, never once did I consider how bumpy the golf course would have been

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trying to convince the missus on this.

She's of the view that it's too dangerous to take the wee one onto a golf course :ROFLMAO:
Weirdly we've had that conversation the other way around. She seriously thinks it'd be fine to wheel our baby girl around the golf course with us while we play, whereas I think she's mad. Not sure what a typical golf club's rule would be on whether they even allow it??

D

Deleted member 21258

Best of luck, I started playing late in life, then played and then stopped, then played and stopped again (some work and some family/ 2 children arriving to ruin the party).

Eventually came back to the sport when my son was old enough to want to play and the wife wanted to play.

Alas by that came round he was a teenager, I was getting old and time had past. bums!

Best of luck OP tho, no easy answers from me:D

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Best of luck, I started playing late in life, then played and then stopped, then played and stopped again (some work and some family/ 2 children arriving to ruin the party).

Eventually came back to the sport when my son was old enough to want to play and the wife wanted to play.

Alas by that came round he was a teenager, I was getting old and time had past. bums!

Best of luck OP tho, no easy answers from me:D
Good to see you back posting Darren 👍🏻

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
As others have said, it’s a fine margin to get it right.
I work away from home so always feel like I need to over compensate when home with the kids.
Always doing something and the golf sadly is never top of the pile.
For me a Sunday morning is the best time to get out and I try on a Wednesday as well.

D

Deleted member 21258

Good to see you back posting Darren 👍🏻

I think it will be very short lived, I've read some of the threads now :ROFLMAO:, and it still looks like the forum is self destructing.:cry:

Shame as this forum is about golf, which most have a common interest in.

Take care and hope to catch up for a round one day with you and Patrick.

mister v

Visit site
when my kids were small it hardly impacted on my golf at all. now my lad is 15 and entering every junior comp going i spend more time driving to different golf clubs rather than playing them!!!!
Still its really cool to see these juniors playing in opens / county comps ..... probably watching the next tiger / rory without knowing it!