Beckenham Place Park

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Mayor is a politician and a politician needs votes. Putting money into what is seen as a middle-class pursuit for a small minority would be toxic when the budgets for critical services are being slashed by tens of millions every year....with residents still expecting the same level of service.

It's a shame, but one that I can understand.

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
The Mayor is a politician and a politician needs votes. Putting money into what is seen as a middle-class pursuit for a small minority would be toxic when the budgets for critical services are being slashed by tens of millions every year....with residents still expecting the same level of service.

It's a shame, but one that I can understand.

Lots to say about this.

Firstly, Mayor Bullock isn't seeking re-election. I suppose then one might comment that at least he's being genuine. He's certainly genuinely under the false impression that golf is a middle-class pursuit.

Secondly, the point has been made over and over by the campaign that golf at Beckenham Place Park is anything BUT middle-class and exclusive (either gender, any 'race', any level of competence, no handicap cert. required, relaxed (non-existent!) dress code, any age, etc.).

Thirdly, even a Lewisham Council staff member is on record saying that the cost to maintain the park without the golf course will be much the same as it will with the golf course...but without the income...but then they want to add a lake (which will cost to maintain).

Note that Beckenham Place Park has had cricket removed, football removed, golf removed, and will have the tennis removed. That leaves no formal sporting recreation, which may reduce the status of the park from Metropolitan Open Land and all the protection that that status affords. It is feared (and of course this is cynical conjecture) that the next step will be that the land is sold off for development.