Selsdon Golf Course to close

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
IIRC, wasn't Bob Torrence (Sam's father) the teaching Pro there for a while? Certainly the very first Bob Torrence Academy was there.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shame you couldn’t make it blue, it ended up a great day and installed a bit of faith that it may not be a done deal re the closure, that said we may all be living in hope but for the time of year the course was in very good condition especially given it’s unknown future. Forgot how much I enjoy the layout which is crazy given I’m only about 700 yards from their driving range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shame you couldn’t make it blue, it ended up a great day and installed a bit of faith that it may not be a done deal re the closure, that said we may all be living in hope but for the time of year the course was in very good condition especially given it’s unknown future. Forgot how much I enjoy the layout which is crazy given I’m only about 700 yards from their driving range.

You make it sound like it isn't a done deal. Anything official. What did you hear?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They were still seeding tee boxes, first and second cuts were all striped, greens were being cut as we arrived, there a lot going on for a course thanks closing in 10 days

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I won’t mention someones club twirl that almost resulted in lost teeth

I was pleasantly surprised of the condition of the course that’s on its last legs

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I won’t mention someones club twirl that almost resulted in lost teeth

I was pleasantly surprised of the condition of the course that’s on its last legs

I even twirled the club like a pansie, wasn’t hard enough to break the skin on custard let alone a tooth but funny as heck, what a wally! Good 2nd putt tho ;)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really enjoyed the day chaps. Thanks for letting me tag along. Give yourselves another 30 years or so and you might be hitting the ball as far as I do ;)

Even though it's within 4 miles from home, I'd only played there twice before, last time about 20 years ago. I had forgotten what a good layout it is and, considering the time of year and the fact that it closes in a couple of weeks, what good condition it was in. Not so keen on so many elevated greens though I found that laying up with the approach shot and chipping on worked best for me :whistle:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really enjoyed the day chaps. Thanks for letting me tag along. Give yourselves another 30 years or so and you might be hitting the ball as far as I do ;)

Even though it's within 4 miles from home, I'd only played there twice before, last time about 20 years ago. I had forgotten what a good layout it is and, considering the time of year and the fact that it closes in a couple of weeks, what good condition it was in. Not so keen on so many elevated greens though I found that laying up with the approach shot and chipping on worked best for me :whistle:

Worked best for Alex too ???

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From a semi reputable source, the new owners are exploring the option of leasing the course out so it remains as a source income and also publicity for its main function. As to whether this will be a p&p or members course will be determined by any potential interested parties. I’ll keep it on my regular walks to see how the course looks during the hotel renovations

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
From a semi reputable source, the new owners are exploring the option of leasing the course out so it remains as a source income and also publicity for its main function. As to whether this will be a p&p or members course will be determined by any potential interested parties. I’ll keep it on my regular walks to see how the course looks during the hotel renovations

Will those “regular walks” involve a few clubs and some balls?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well it seems all may not be lost.

After closing the course and leaving it as grazing land for the new birch well-being hotel, the backers pulled the funding and the development went into administration.

The site including hotel is now back up for sale. I know the bunkers were filled in but other than that the land remains unchanged

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well it seems all may not be lost.

After closing the course and leaving it as grazing land for the new birch well-being hotel, the backers pulled the funding and the development went into administration.

The site including hotel is now back up for sale. I know the bunkers were filled in but other than that the land remains unchanged

Depends on who buys and their intent. Not done and dusted yet but it would be good to see it back to a golf course

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Short term they were grazing but have all been removed. Given their mess should be minimal and a natural fertiliser the recovery could be pretty quick.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I don't know enough about timescales on this stuff, but won't it be pretty wild by now? Fairways, rough, etc probably just needs mowing, but won't the greens require huge work to get them back to greens?