Beau Desert Opens

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Practice your putting on glass :whistle:

Ye I chatted to Fundy earlier and he eluded to the tendency for swift greens.

Gary, what score usually wins this thing?

Edit: Oh and do we need a handicap certificate or anything?

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Ye I chatted to Fundy earlier and he eluded to the tendency for swift greens.

Gary, what score usually wins this thing?

Edit: Oh and do we need a handicap certificate or anything?

Never been asked for a cert before, I always carry my County Card with my CDH number on the back though, pretty sure at registration they ask for full name & club, that's all.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not long to go now. :D

My handicap won't change because I'm taking a break from qualifiers as they've messed with my head.

Hopefully on the day I'll be able to come in with a point here or there when everyone else has blobbed.

I also remember the greens as being on the testing side.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never been asked for a certificate but then I've never troubled the judges.
I'd have thought CDH number would be enough though.

Don't know what usually wins, but they sometimes have old results on their website if you want to dig about.

We only just finished outside the prizes last year with 78 but the weather was "testing".

My 'insider tips' from what I remember of my few rounds there...

Don't get greedy on 4. 200yds to the top of the hill is all you need.
Wherever the flag is on 6, aim right of it and preferably leave it short.
Unless you've no confidence in whatever you hit 240 you may as well go for the green on 9, because the shot up from the dip after an iron off the tee is as hard as anything you might leave yourself around the green.
12 is a double dogleg and I've never played it well. You pick pick a line as far right as you dare, and it still won't be far enough right. It almost needs a line as far right as you dare WITH as 30yd slice. I'm thinking of hitting an iron off the tee just to give myself a shot at the green for the first time!
Laser the flag on 14 rather than just GPS it because the green although not very wide is about 50yds long.
Just because 15 is a par 5, if you hit the ball a long way it isn't automatically driver. It's possible to run out of fairway depending on the wind. Also, play your approach shot short to run on. If you land on the green you could think you've hit a perfect shot and be playing your next from over the back.
17 is another hole where you can run out of fairway, although the there's a thin sliver of fairway to the left of the rough cutting across it if you're brave. Not really a fan of long holes where driver is too much club but what can you do!
18 is yet another where you can hit too far off the tee. If you reach the top of the hill and stay short of the rough, the approach shot that comes next is one of my favourites from any course I've played, all downhill and across heather to a huge green with the clubhouse just behind.

Good luck :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Only up the road for me so will be around 9am for a butty then a few chips on the practice area.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I shall be leaving home at about 7 so should arrive at 9 or a touch earlier or later. Will need to shake the journey off hit a few balls and I am told 15 mins on the putting surface is a must.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I shall be leaving home at about 7 so should arrive at 9 or a touch earlier or later. Will need to shake the journey off hit a few balls and I am told 15 mins on the putting surface is a must.

Ha ha, make that an hour and 15 and the greens will still torture you if they're fast!!

Superb course, enjoy

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha ha, make that an hour and 15 and the greens will still torture you if they're fast!!

Superb course, enjoy

Played it today and have to say the course is borderline unplayable. to say the greens are like concrete is an understatement. I dropped my putter on the green and when the head hit the floor it rang like a bell ( not kidding)

The greens are like putting off your car bonnet too!!

I play there alot and despite the difficulty it's in amazing condition. The best I've seen it.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played it today and have to say the course is borderline unplayable. to say the greens are like concrete is an understatement. I dropped my putter on the green and when the head hit the floor it rang like a bell ( not kidding)

I play there alot and despite the difficulty it's in amazing condition. The best I've seen it.

Ouch, that's a warning and a half. I take it you ended up playing everything to land short and hope it makes its way onto the surface?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ouch, that's a warning and a half. I take it you ended up playing everything to land short and hope it makes its way onto the surface?

Land it on the green and you'll be through the back. today we were landing a good 15 yards short of the green and hoping for the best. Pretty much guess work and pure luck as the foreground isn't flat and level.

They've also chopped down a shed loads of trees. You'd think this would spoil the course but they've done it to open up the views of the chase. Just when i thought the course couldn't look any better.

Oh, and be prepared to be food raped by the squirrel on the 9th tee!

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Surely it cant be both of these????

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely it cant be both of these????

By amazing condition i mean the fairways and greens are "looking" great. all green and lush. Looks, however are deceiving. The stag is tomorrow so i think they've been working overtime on presentation

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Here's some pics from a previous meet I arranged, not sure who that knob is at the start :smirk:

Stu sp.jpg

5th.jpg

B1.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

Beau1.jpg

Beau2.jpg