Beard proliferation

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Has there been a general increase in the number of people growing beards?

I'm not a particularly fashionable person and don't get out much, but the increase in beard wearers seems very noticeable in golf, especially in YouTube wear most of the "big names" sport a beard.

I have a vague memory from not many years back about a discussion on the tele concerning when was the last time a major was won by someone with a beard, because one of the contenders in that major had one although he didn't win in the end.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it was about 10-15 years ago that beards became a lot more common. I have gone the other way . Had a beard most of my adult life shaved it off four years ago.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'm not a particularly fashionable person and don't get out much, but the increase in beard wearers seems very noticeable in golf, especially in YouTube wear most of the "big names" sport a beard.

I have a vague memory from not many years back about a discussion on the tele concerning when was the last time a major was won by someone with a beard, because one of the contenders in that major had one although he didn't win in the end.

beards are in it seems

Ive found in my dads mates all grow beards when they retire from the office.. almost as a protest for being clean shaven their working lifes..

lot of the ex forces guys at work now have beards "because they can"

now its fashionable to have one for sure..

I just have one because its less upkeep that shaving every day

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Changes in recent years has probably come about from two factors

growing your hair for charity e.g. Movember

Lockdown - being at home all the time removed the need to shave everyday.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Very true, due to my bowling ball head I have this little head shaver. A beard is very easy to keep . Every 2 days shave the head (3 mins) and then once over the beard with the attachment (2 mins)

5 mins rather than however long wet shaving used to take me

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have never needed to shave every day.

Normally I just let it grow until I'm fed up of it then trim it back to stubble. Right now I have actually got more of a beard though, not sure why I just fancied it - maybe it was the Scottie Scheffler effect. 😁 I can't remember the last time I was actually clean-shaven. Has to be at least a decade ago.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never needed to shave every day.

Normally I just let it grow until I'm fed up of it then trim it back to stubble. Right now I have actually got more of a beard though, not sure why I just fancied it - maybe it was the Scottie Scheffler effect. 😁 I can't remember the last time I was actually clean-shaven. Has to be at least a decade ago.

When I first started work I used to clean shave then every set of nights "let it grow" to show I was having a rough week lol

Now with the kids it's always rough 😂

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Not directly (or at all :D) related to your question but...when we had our Club Championships long ago, one of the lady members husband was a bookie or worked for one of the spread betting indexes.

He would always run a book containing not only the usual market on which player would win but also things like the colour shirt the winner would be wearing (pink was particularly popular at the time), whether they had a beard/moustache, blonde/dark or ginger hair etc etc. all added a bit of fun to the day.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just before I left the RAF in 2020 they changed the regulations to allow beards, and the Army have just changed as well so I see a lot more people in uniform with beards when I go in to the office. I must be old fashioned as I still thing it looks wrong

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have very dry skin and if I have to shave more than once a week it can look like a blood fest. I do moisture it daily am and pm but usually grow it during the week and shave on a Sunday night. I know Shiels and Finch have had a beard for ages but I can't recall seeing it on tour until a few years ago. Thinking Beef and Hatton as the main ones and can't remember too many major winners apart from Scheffler (or I simply didn't register).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have very dry skin and if I have to shave more than once a week it can look like a blood fest. I do moisture it daily am and pm but usually grow it during the week and shave on a Sunday night. I know Shiels and Finch have had a beard for ages but I can't recall seeing it on tour until a few years ago. Thinking Beef and Hatton as the main ones and can't remember too many major winners apart from Scheffler (or I simply didn't register).
The previous Masters winner maybe? DJ as well? Clark has a bit of a beard going on too.

Visit site
Yep. It’s over the last 10 years.

I’d never have even considered going for a job interview with a beard, and for any client meetings I’d be clean shaven.

Around 2014ish, it became completely acceptable to “game” a beard ( 🤢)

I haven’t clean shaven for close to 10 years.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I grew a beard during Covid and never got rid of it, although I do keep it very closely trimmed. Can’t see me being clean shaven again any time soon.