Considering buying a new pair of shoes? The Adizero 2014 may get you in trouble.

Scazza

Head Pro
Visit site
There was another thread on Adizeroes recently and correct me if I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) but didn't someone post a response from adidas either directly to them or via social media saying they were in talks with those clubs banning them

Here was my direct reply from Adidas/TM when I emailed them about my course banning the Adizero shoe.

Thank you for your email into adidas Golf.

I am surprised and saddened to read of the incident that has occurred with your golf club and their apparent decision to ban the shoe. It is not something we have heard of neither do we endorse.
Unfortunately there is not much I can suggest other than say I have passed on the details to the area sales manager who will investigate further.

But certainly there is no reason why these shoes should experience any sort of ban as they have been used worldwide on all professional tours without any sort of negative feedback and sold in numerous outlets throughout the UK with no such cause for concern.

However as I have said I have passed on the details but on this occasion I am unable currently to take this case further.

Kind regards

I never did hear from the Area Sales Manager....

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I read the meetings with clubs were to try and get the ban lifted following the release of the new adizero and not to do anything about the older tour model. Some club's lifted the ban on the new adizero but kept the ban in place for the old tour model. The old 6 spike model were fine as they were the same underneath as most other golf shoes

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wrote to Adidas and also sent an email about the issue and received no response to either. I sold the shoes at half the price paid for £40 worn just a few times due to the damage caused.

The problem is down to the design and should have resulted in a redesign of the sole and spikes. The least Adidas should have done is apologised for the issue however because of the total lack of customer service, I will not buy another product from Adidas.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wrote to Adidas and also sent an email about the issue and received no response to either. I sold the shoes at half the price paid for £40 worn just a few times due to the damage caused.

The problem is down to the design and should have resulted in a redesign of the sole and spikes. The least Adidas should have done is apologised for the issue however because of the total lack of customer service, I will not buy another product from Adidas.

Problem is that as soon as they admit anything then they are facing a full product recall in countries that have less than perfect weather. It would cost millions as well as possibly killing off adizero as a brand that they have spent millions marketing.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was tempted by the new Adizero as I have the 6 spikes and love them but I don't fancy having to by a backup pair of golf shoes just Incase courses I go to play have banned them.

Might go back to the Lunars or try the new Footjoy out instead now.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
GB 72 all they had to do is design a soft rubber winter spike for winter greens to compliment the shoe. It would have cost them nothing in terms of revenue due to after sales and they would have retained their customer base.

Instead they have probably lost quite a few customers not to mention the pro shops that may be reluctant to stock future reincarnations of the shoe. However given that the UK probably only account for a small percentage of Adidas sales, the impact to Adidas will be minimal but that doesn't excuse their lack of professionalism when it comes to customer service and accepting that a product design was flawed and may not be fit for purpose.

Last edited:

JohnF

Club Champion
Visit site
Played yesterday using the 2013 version, not a problem with the greens at my club and that is with the water level from the loch at it's highest since I joined 4 years ago. Now we have all seen the pictures of greens from around the UK but I don't see why all the blame should be Adidas fault.

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Presumably just the spiked version of the shoe and not the spikeless?

To be honest, I have a pair of 2013 Adizero Tour spiked and although I didn't notice any damage, etc... in the Summer I have been very concious during the last couple of rounds following Jan/Feb because the indentations I am leaving on greens is very noticable. To the point where I am considering getting some new shoes now. I didn't see what people were moaning about during the back end of last year (perhaps because we didn't see any rain really at the courses I played at), but now I can understand why it is such an issue.

My presumption was that Adidas would take the negative feedback on board and do something about it, but apparently they've just released a new version of the shoe with exactly the same problem!

A damned shame really, because I honestly think they are the most comfy pair of golf shoes I have ever worn. So light and my feet have never been wet after a round.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
Just received a mail from Brocket Hall, they've banned them:

Adidas Adizero Tour Shoes

Please be advised Brocket Hall Golf Club will ban the usage of the Adidas Adizero Tour golf shoe, after research and feedback within the industry that greens experience heavy damage from golfers wearing these shoes.

It is very noticeable that golfers wearing these shoes are causing heavy damage to the green surface and as such, following discussions with John Moorhouse, the ban of these golf shoes will take effect immediately.

Kind regards

David Griffin
Director of Golf Operations

CK

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
GB 72 all they had to do is design a soft rubber winter spike for winter greens to compliment the shoe. It would have cost them nothing in terms of revenue due to after sales and they would have retained their customer base.

Instead they have probably lost quite a few customers not to mention the pro shops that may be reluctant to stock future reincarnations of the shoe. However given that the UK probably only account for a small percentage of Adidas sales, the impact to Adidas will be minimal but that doesn't excuse their lack of professionalism when it comes to customer service and accepting that a product design was flawed and may not be fit for purpose.

adidas shoes have been rubbish for a while. The 360's fell apart, the adizeros look awful and rip up greens :eek:

Has anyone had any feedback from the company? their silence would seems to be deafening

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They look more like football boots than golf shoes ... Maybe I'm just getting old! :smirk:

That is exactly what they are football boots with cleats not studs . These were designed to stop a footballer falling over by digging studs in the ground for traction that's what they do to the greens only with cleats.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
adidas shoes have been rubbish for a while. The 360's fell apart, the adizeros look awful and rip up greens :eek:

But they're always so close! The 360s were superb ... except for the heel. And I've got the adizero tours, I was very sceptical initially about the whole lightweight thing but when I tried them on I was converted (and I did try FJ and Nike at the same time to compare). All we need is an Adidas shoe with the comfort and spikes form the 360 combined with the heel and weight of the zeros :D.

I've just picked up a pair of the 6 spikes for £22 from the offer that el marko posted, so third time lucky?

Hunka Turf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Here was my direct reply from Adidas/TM when I emailed them about my course banning the Adizero shoe.

I never did hear from the Area Sales Manager....

I had exactly the same reply from Adidas. Funny thing was I never mentioned a course ban in my email (my course hasn't banned them) so they clearly didn't even read it.

They're just denying there's a problem. Poor customer service.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I wonder if GM have contacts at Adidas, and could have words on behalf of a lot of forumers who have these shoes. It seems that more and more clubs are banning them.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
But they're always so close! The 360s were superb ... except for the heel. And I've got the adizero tours, I was very sceptical initially about the whole lightweight thing but when I tried them on I was converted (and I did try FJ and Nike at the same time to compare). All we need is an Adidas shoe with the comfort and spikes form the 360 combined with the heel and weight of the zeros :D.

I've just picked up a pair of the 6 spikes for £22 from the offer that el marko posted, so third time lucky?

Yep I loved my 360s for the 6 weeks they were in one piece, I wouldn't buy a pair of Adidas again. Even though some of the designs (not adizeros) are nice, I wouldn't trust them to last.:eek:

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a pair of 360 Ltd's that are about 4yrs old, and have been fantastic, uber comfy out of the box, and only started letting in water in the last year.
I needed some new shoes, and looked at Adidas again, and quite honestly, think the whole Adizero range looks really cheap & crap, and hence I went FJ and bought some Dryjoy Tours.

Adidas Golf needs to do some PR work soon if they are to go forward......