Be honest, would you do the same?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know situations like this have arose similar in golf before but I just wanted to highlight this article on golf digest.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/hi...itles-after-reporting-her-own-scorecard-error

Given the wrap that teenagers often get, I though it was worth publicising further as I'm not 100% sure I would have been so forthcoming as a teenager.

In summary, Kate playing in the US high school state champions won individual and team titles, but she then realised she'd signed for a 4 rather than a 5 on the last hole. She picked it up and told her coach and the event organisers resulting in her disqualification from both competitions dropping her team to 2nd.

Kicker is that she would have still won both even with her 5. Truly great spirit and playing the game how it should be! So, in your youth (or now), do you think you'd have done the same?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
99% sure I would have.

Can’t say for certain as I’m very much not the person I was back then as I have grown up and gained life experience.

I certainly hope I would have done!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was that age I was complete rubbish and certainly not playing competitively so it's impossible to say. I can say now I definitely would do the same and report the error once I realised it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played cricket to a decent level when I was younger. I used to walk, thought it was the right thing. I then got on the end of a series of bad decisions, often given by the opposition umpire after I started distributing their bowlers all over the pitch. I stopped walking at that point as I was a competitive beggar. I suspect that means that back then, had I played golf, I may have thought twice about it if it was the difference between winning and losing. Different thing now, no question, but I take my hat off to this girl. Mind, if I still played cricket I still wouldn't walk. I've yet to see a bowler call a batsman back, cheating bunch, appeal for anything, grumble grrrr.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I called myself out on sweetie winnings a few weeks ago, won my section with a net 67, didn't sign the sweetie sheet, it wasn't checked and I told them so, losing out on the money, so yes I would.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Genuine error. The rules of golf surely need to change to allow amendments. OK it could be open to abuse, but so are many things in life.

If no foul play was intended allow the amendment and award the prize. And you wonder why golf gets such a bad rep about being 'stuffy' etc.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It does feel like that should have happened but I guess that opens the door for people to make their cards two shots lower in case it gives them the win and then "come clean" either if it doesn't impact the result or they're found out.

Saying that the playing partner should still have scored it right on their card so you shouldn't have a difference on both.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did it in a club championship probably 10 years ago, obviously not a team event and only my position under threat, went to bed on the Saturday night and suddenly thought "I didn't take 5 on the first it was 6!" it was only when I got to the club was in contact with the comp sec and playing partner from the day before and we talked through my shots on the day that I realised I was ok.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does feel like that should have happened but I guess that opens the door for people to make their cards two shots lower in case it gives them the win and then "come clean" either if it doesn't impact the result or they're found out.

Saying that the playing partner should still have scored it right on their card so you shouldn't have a difference on both.

I'm not sure of the procedure, if it any different to the playing in the Saturday Medal, but as long as the scores match at the end and before the cards are signed by both players any discrepancies should be caught, discussed, amended, agreed and then signed for.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site

Absolutely there should be a trail somewhere that leads to the correct score. Having said that it is steep learning curve for her.

With so many 'witnesses' around, and an easy one to check on other scorecards I think that she could not have deliberately done it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We learn the rules by breaking them , this is how I learned.
Well done to the girl it will do her more good in the end , but not a nice way to lose.

Could you look at your trophy cabinet and think I should not really have won that one?

Its a bit harsh on the rest of the team but rules are rules, and can’t really see a way around it that wouldn’t be abused.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Genuine error. The rules of golf surely need to change to allow amendments. OK it could be open to abuse, but so are many things in life.

If no foul play was intended allow the amendment and award the prize. And you wonder why golf gets such a bad rep about being 'stuffy' etc.

Surely what this young girl did is the very essence of the game !!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
[/B]

Surely what this young girl did is the very essence of the game !!
Her actions, yes absolutely. But what he meant was how the rules of golf are so stubborn and inflexible. Why - if she realises she made an honest mistake, does the decent thing and contacts those in charge to have her score changed - can her score not just be corrected without penalty? She would not have gained any advantage because he score would be as it should be.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Her actions, yes absolutely. But what he meant was how the rules of golf are so stubborn and inflexible. Why - if she realises she made an honest mistake, does the decent thing and contacts those in charge to have her score changed - can her score not just be corrected without penalty? She would not have gained any advantage because he score would be as it should be.

Oh if only that were possible.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh if only that were possible.
Yeah, there are far too many intances where the rules punish people for innocent mistakes, where they don't even gain an advantage. One example was the penalty for a double hit in one stroke, but that either has or is being changed (I forget) - so there is hope. They are readdressing some of the rules.. slowly.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Feel sorry for the poor girl but she did the correct thing. You would have thought at that level there would have been a scorers tent, similar to the top amateur and pro events where they can go through it with the PP double check the scores again and make 100% sure it's right before signing. Maybe that happened and it was down to the excitement of winning but a harsh lesson learned but great for the integrity of our game