BBC Sports personality of the year 2009

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to agree. Whilst I know that the 'more popular' sports tend to get more votes, how Giggs won is a mystery to me. To be honest would not have had him in the top 10.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be fair it was a bit of a shock to him too.
Thought Button was a shoe-in for this but hey - its the Great British Public who gave it to him and we know how intelligent they are......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I though Haye would win because he has been doing the talk show rounds lately and so in the public eye still. To be fair I think both he and Button can feel a bit aggrieved. I think Ennis was a definite hometown nod. Good to see Seve getting the recognition he deserves even if the awarding of the trophy was all a bit weird

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If there was a model pro award, fair enough. For me Cavendish should have won it. Eddie Izzard has actually outdone a lot of those people this year!!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
It's not about what an individual has won, more personality. Have to say that in the past there have been some winners with no personality whatsoever.....Nigel Mansell springs to mind.

Don't think Ennis being up there has anything to do with the "hometown nod" as it was a nationwide voting process.

Think Giggs won it due to the granny vote....."ooh he's a lovely lad"

How many more people saw the montage and said "I didn't know he'd died!!!" When they showed the sporting people who had died this year.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
The problem is it went to the public vote and as many surveys have already proved, there are only 3 kinds of people who pay good money to vote in these things.

Morons
Drunks
and Drunk Morons.

Giggs sports personality of the years what a joke

D

Deleted member 1147

What annoys me most is the use of the word "personality".
It should be biggest achiever of the year because there was very little personality in that room last night.

Also, when there are a list of world champions and record achievers I don't know how a man who only played about 10 league matches last season can possibly win.

I wouldn't have minded him getting a lifetime achievement award however.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haye should've got it imo.

I'm a massive Ryan Giggs fan, but that's two awards in the last 12 months that aren't merited. To be fair to him though, i think he was as shocked as the rest of us.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Some may say it's not a sport, come to think of it imo neither is horse racing or motor racing. Angling never gets a mention.
England has one of the most successful teams in this field, winning World Championships year after year. Do they get a mention at the awards? Nah, not a mumbled acknowledgement of their achievements.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
It used to be a really good event the Sports personality awards, where they would do a proper reveiw of the year for lots of sports have a closer look at some more obscure sports etc - now the whole program is just about trying to get you to ring in and vote and most importantly spend your money

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree with Freddie. Each sport had their own piece not some 30 second video montage. There was always a demo with a presenter as the fall guy, a tape of classic outtakes and more acknowledgment of the minority sports and our World champions. Its now all about the vote and the precious money it brings. Its a shadow of its former self

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Sports personality ? I think that was the first time i have heard him speak.He is a cert for most embarrassed sportsman of the year award.

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
For me Cavendish should have won it.

Im very biased I suppose to my favourite sport of cycling but I agree.
As Sue Barker said many experts are saying that winning 6 stages one Tour De France might never be done again by anyone and he won Milan San Remo which is like winning a major and it was one of our guys!

Amazing achievement that is not realised by the british public because the sport is not main stream in this country like football.

When Button went up 2nd I was sure it was going to be David Haye.
Giggs is a great role model but on this years achievements he was surpassed by almost all the other contenders!