Bar spending

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was just having a browse through my bar account spending and realised I’ve been spending on average £40 a month! I’ve played in a couple of club pairs matches so will have bought 4 drinks on those occasions, plus played a full weekend a couple of times, but I’m still shocked. It’s so easy to just top it up by £20, before you know it another top up’s needed.

Anyone want to say how much they spend and whether it’s more or less than they’d like to?

Springveldt

Visit site
Just checked and since the end of June I’ve added £125 to my card. I’ve got £13 left on it and I’ve had a few 2’s in that time. It’s my round tonight again so will need to add some more.

To be fair, that also includes competition money coming off, it’s not all bar and food.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm probably £10-£15 per month, over the year. I don't tend to buy food there and we buy individually on the whole, rather than in rounds so I don't have sudden big spends. In winter it's a coffee after a round, in summer a pint of lemonade. Sometimes I go wild and get a bag of crisps as well :oops: . I always go in after a game but clearly I am not boosting the coffers by too much

@Hobbit can you remember the numbers we were quoted at your old club, Cleveland? They were pretty scary from memory, some serious drinkers there.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Last month I had a few mugs of tea at £1 each, but I did treat myself to a pint of bitter after 36-hole club championship.
Things were very different for me 30 to 40 years ago, however.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Digressing off tangent a little but I’ve been carrying out some work at our golf club refurbishing the ladies locker room.
While there, a dirty warter pump failed in the kitchen, so I replaced it for them - cost - almost £700, That’s the majority of what I pay in subs per year!! Speaking to the manager and he was saying the overheads on the place are eye watering, we have 48 holes plus a driving range. I normally do about £1000 a year off my card, couple of drinks after a round for me and buggerlugs, the odd bar of chocolate and occasional meal, but it all helps our clubs to survive.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I spend around £40 a month there - that's nothing, and easily done. Play every weekend so 4 times a month minimum - buying a round for 2, 3 or 4 people say 3 of those times when pints are £5.20... easy £40 for the month if not more.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
£720 bar, £60 comps since January. Would like to be spending a lot less. For some reason I seem to be first to the bar much more than my fair share. Im going to have to start hanging back!

mister v

Visit site
this year i've topped up £1070 to date on my bar card. we're quite a sociable club. I just wish one of my playing partners would top up his bar card now and then...........

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£720 bar, £60 comps since January. Would like to be spending a lot less. For some reason I seem to be first to the bar much more than my fair share. Im going to have to start hanging back!
My usual playing partner is good at keeping track of whose round it is, as am I, which means it’s nice not having to remind him. But similar to you, when we play with a 3rd or 4th player in various comps, I’m normally first to the bar and have often not received one back and never played with them again, yet!

From the other replies it sounds as though I’m not a big spender, which is a bit of a relief!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Last month I had a few mugs of tea at £1 each, but I did treat myself to a pint of bitter after 36-hole club championship.
Things were very different for me 30 to 40 years ago, however.

£1 for a tea? It’s £2.40 at ours! I put at least £20 a week on my card, probably more.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know , probably a fair bit , though I don't think our prices are high. Almost all food and softdrinks as I'm usually driving.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
£1 for a tea? It’s £2.40 at ours! I put at least £20 a week on my card, probably more.
You had to order a pot-for-one and that was going up towards £2.40.

Club Champs day a few years ago, I sat outside after the morning round with a huge flask of boiled water, big stainless steel pot, my own teabags, a large mug and "ate my own snap" as the E-Midlanders say.
Things changed after that. Now its just tea-by-mug and much less hassle for the staff in terms of presentation and washing up.
And much less hassle for me not to to have to take all my own equipment.
Menu is also streamlined, improved in quality, and better value.
A quiet simple protest by me. Action not words and I harmed nobody.
Things have got better.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Between £40 and £60 a month, depending on whether I buy drinks halfway (non alcoholic) or post round playing partners.
Although this month was £470 on one day, plus the monthly standard amount...! 😉

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
15th July balance was £0.66
15th August balance is £78.81

In that period I’ve put £170 onto my account so spent ~£92. That’s probably a fairly typical monthly spend. So in a year probably around £1,000.

TBH I buy quite a lot of bar food as well as drinks.