Bar levy/card

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our is £25 (I think) and we also get a 10% discount.

Tends to go on buying the teas after a game so quickly used up.

Would be happy for it to be higher if it helped maintain the facility as there's nothing worse than playing somewhere that doesn't do food after 3 o'clock and the clubhouse is morgue when you go in for a drink afterwards.

D

Deleted member 23270

It's pretty simple really. A golf club needs to raise x pounds a year to survive so people either spend money in the bar or the fees go up.

I know which I would rather do ;)

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Found this thread interesting.Current club is looking at bringing in £300 bar levy for new members..£100 put on bar card for subsequent 3 years.No catering facilities in place, to cut a long story short replacing the established caterer, who left over a year ago has been poorly handled, plus i think the club's hand are tied has to how they solve this.San Miguel about £4.10 a pint (about £3.70 with discount).No sky and a more often than not empty clubhouse........Couple of other points, fees gone up £15,(gone up every year), also introducing discounted membership if you are 34 and under instead of current 25 years an under..Some of whom are on much better salaries than some of the mid aged members....Lots of members i know are unhappy about this (and leaving), yet a newly formed 'marketing team'.lol, and other powers that be see this as the way forward...We'll see eh..

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think if you are a member of a club all members should contribute to all the facilities at the club, even the ones they do not use.

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Found this thread interesting.Current club is looking at bringing in £300 bar levy for new members..£100 put on bar card for subsequent 3 years.No catering facilities in place, to cut a long story short replacing the established caterer, who left over a year ago has been poorly handled, plus i think the club's hand are tied has to how they solve this.San Miguel about £4.10 a pint (about £3.70 with discount).No sky and a more often than not empty clubhouse........Couple of other points, fees gone up £15,(gone up every year), also introducing discounted membership if you are 34 and under instead of current 25 years an under..Some of whom are on much better salaries than some of the mid aged members....Lots of members i know are unhappy about this (and leaving), yet a newly formed 'marketing team'.lol, and other powers that be see this as the way forward...We'll see eh..

I'm out.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When it comes to bar levy’s I can see both sides.

My clubs is £125 and for the first 5 years of membership this wasn’t an issue. I didn’t have kids and so always had a pint and breakfast after a round. The club offer 10% discount and I’d usually stop at the club at least once or twice a week on top
of the weekend and would end up topping up the card continuously across the year.

Now I have children it’s hard enough getting out for golf let alone staying after so I do find I’m one of the golfers that has to disappear straight off as it’s now worth the grief I get from domestic management if I get home an hour later due to time in the bar. For this reason the £125 levy stays largely unspent.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
also introducing discounted membership if you are 34 and under instead of current 25 years an under..Some of whom are on much better salaries than some of the mid aged members....Lots of members i know are unhappy about this (and leaving), yet a newly formed 'marketing team'.lol, and other powers that be see this as the way forward...We'll see eh..

Not knowledgeable enough to comment on the other points but always makes me wonder this point above. If you were happy with the "deal" you got when you joined then why do you care what other people are paying?

I have absolutely zero idea about which of my playing friends are on intermediate memberships, maybe joined as couples so (I think) pay slightly less joining fee etc as I'm happy with what I pay (and I get value for money from that). Unless everyone at your club earns exactly the same then there is zero relevance in what salary people earn (I have friends who earn much more and much less than me but we pay the same).

Why are the members unhappy? Is it that they feel what they are paying is over the odds (in which case should probably leave), or is it just green eyed monster stuff?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple of other points, fees gone up £15,(gone up every year), also introducing discounted membership if you are 34 and under instead of current 25 years an under..Some of whom are on much better salaries than some of the mid aged members....Lots of members i know are unhappy about this (and leaving), yet a newly formed 'marketing team'.lol, and other powers that be see this as the way forward...We'll see eh..

I'd be waving goodbye at this.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd be waving goodbye at this.

Why ?
Introducing reduced fees for under 30’s etc with them going back up on a step level has allowed a lot of under 30’s to join clubs and play the game - for us it allowed our under 30 level to go from 2/3 people to just over 80 , all still members and we still have a waiting list

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Green eyed monster stuff lol. Think you interpreted what I wrote in your own view. You were right at first. Maybe not knowledgable enough.

You're missing my point TBF, I haven't interpreted anything I'm asking a question :thup:

Well why are people leaving because other members are paying less? What difference does it make to them?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We introduced a discounted system for under 35s a couple of years ago, it didn't make lots of older members leave.

On the subject of levies, we don't have one but we do have bar cards that are used to get the members discount on drinks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can understand a discounted membership scheme and we run discounted fees up to 35 years of age. Hasn't impacted membership and we only operate on level of discount on the bar car across the membership. I don't agree with the scheme all the way to 35 years of age and believe those from 30-35 should be in a position to pay full fees, but I can't change the situation and just get on with it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I can understand a discounted membership scheme and we run discounted fees up to 35 years of age. Hasn't impacted membership and we only operate on level of discount on the bar car across the membership. I don't agree with the scheme all the way to 35 years of age and believe those from 30-35 should be in a position to pay full fees, but I can't change the situation and just get on with it.

To a large extent I think discounted memberships are a sop. How many of those below 34 bleat they can't afford the fees but both them and their partner have a car and holiday abroad?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really can’t see the issue for under 34yr olds ,
is it financial or lack of time or both ?
I am sure everyone could make a case why they should get a discount.
So a 33yr old shift worker can play every day
A 36 yr old can only play sat as he works days but he pays more because of his age !
I thought this was made illegal with sexism you should not discriminate on grounds of sex , religion or age if you use the club you should pay the fees.

Imagine going into a pub and paying for your pint then a 32 yr old orders the same as you but pays less should you say anything.