Bar levy/card

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think two pints would actually cause you to fail a breathalyser test in England or Wales?

For the majority of people the answer is yes.

I was once breathalysed 2 hours after drinking two pints of bitter, drunk with a good lunch, and I was just turning the test. The cop was very nice though and let me off with a very stern warning.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suspect that they couldn't as random breath testing is unlawful and driving out of a golf club car park in itself isn't sufficient grounds to require a breath test. Do you think two pints would actually cause you to fail a breathalyser test in England or Wales?

Depends on the beer I suspect...some of the stronger ones, 2 pints would be more than enough unless you're a Yeti......😁

D

Deleted member 15344

Easy solution is to reduce the legal limit to as low as possible - any alcoholic drink that is consumed means that you can’t drive.

As for bay levies - don’t see the problem with them and

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We used to have levy but the card got you a 20% discount at the bar. We dropped the levy but reduced the discount to 10%.

When you analysed the accounts we did not make a single penny profit on our bar. We still had staff wages to pay and I used to think it was fair that every member paid a contribution to the bar running costs. We now have a franchised bar and catering so we longer have the staff costs and actually show a profit from the catering and bar. The downside is that although we get a 10% discount with the card the costs of food and drink have gone a lot more.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect that they couldn't as random breath testing is unlawful and driving out of a golf club car park in itself isn't sufficient grounds to require a breath test. Do you think two pints would actually cause you to fail a breathalyser test in England or Wales?

They seem to be allowed random checks at Christmas. I think there is an issue at golf clubs and a sharp clampdown would help resolve it.

Apparently there are many variables but I work on 2 putting me over the limit and I suspect that would be the case for most people, I actually just have a soft drink or a coffee if I'm driving. If you asked people to drive onto the main road and then pull over and voluntarily give a breath test to a police officer I doubt you would get many takers. If you are not over the limit at two pints then you are perilously close.

DCB

Visit site

Thought they could still use section 6 to administer a breath test. A possible road traffic offence when leaving the car park would be enough for a stop, once stopped, the suspicion that you had been drinking would be enough to test you.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're going to be spending cash in the bar why would you oppose a chunk going on your card up front?

Ours is £100 and that's done in about a fortnight! If your clubhouse/food etc is good then you'll whizz through it so a nonsense of an argument IMO, plus I assume you'll get some level of discount (i agree with the post about increasing discount in correlation with how much you spend :thup:)

Hate to think how much I put on my card over a year, probably 10/20x the initial "levy"

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
They seem to be allowed random checks at Christmas. I think there is an issue at golf clubs and a sharp clampdown would help resolve it.

No, they are not, the same law applies all 12 months of the year. I wouldn't disagree that there are probably issues with a few members at individual clubs, but I think you could fairly apply that comment to every pub/club/restaurant in the country.

Apparently there are many variables but I work on 2 putting me over the limit and I suspect that would be the case for most people, I actually just have a soft drink or a coffee if I'm driving. If you asked people to drive onto the main road and then pull over and voluntarily give a breath test to a police officer I doubt you would get many takers. If you are not over the limit at two pints then you are perilously close.

Yes there are many variables but I suspect that two pints wouldn't put the majority of the golfing population over the limit. I know what I base my opinion on, what do you base yours on? :)

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Thought they could still use section 6 to administer a breath test. A possible road traffic offence when leaving the car park would be enough for a stop, once stopped, the suspicion that you had been drinking would be enough to test you.

Yes, section 6 of the Road Traffic Act is the power to require a breath test. You can be required to take a breath test if the police suspect you have been drinking, if you have committed a moving road traffic offence or if you are involved in a road traffic accident. Simply sitting up outside a golf club and breath testing anything that drives out of the car park as suggested in the post I responded to is an abuse of that power. What offences do you think you might commit driving out of the car park?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Easy solution is to reduce the legal limit to as low as possible - any alcoholic drink that is consumed means that you can’t drive.

Ridiculously simplistic as usual and totally impractical. There's no great issue with the current limit, the issue is with the lack of people to enforce it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The reduced limits on alcohol level in Scotland effectively means one pint of a standard 4% abv beer will take you over the limit.

Back on topic, our club has a compulsory bar charge of £50p.a. which gives you 10% off any drinks, alcoholic or non-alcoholic. It doesn't last long with me.

nairn1967

Medal Winner
Visit site
I joined a nine hole course six months back, which I really like but which doesn't have a bar. It used to, but they converted it into something else some time back. It's a shame because a couple of pints is essential when I play with mates, and fortunately there's a pub 2 minutes drive away.
When I look at the main clubs in my area, they all seem to have a bar levy of about £50 on top of their membership fee. I take it that this is just a pre-paid credit? What's the point, is it because people don't use the bar these days? Seems crazy to me that people wouldn't, as long as it's inviting of course.

With so many clubs struggling these days in my opinion all clubs should adapt the bar levy policy, so many car park golfers ie those who play and take off right after their round would be encouraged to go in and support the club, remember you dont have to have alcohol, coffee and a bacon roll after a round is more appealing than a pint or two.
Support your club.
We have the levy at our club and it's so funny sitting in the bar at this time of year watching these folk come in to try and use up the £50, the initial £50 levy if not used is forfeited to the club if not used throughout the year, you can tell them a mile off, they are the ones who are leaving the club in December with bottles of wine under their arm :rofl:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Everyone’s metabolism is different for various reasons so the simplistic 2 pints and your over would affect the majority of people as many have inferred to is wrong imo.

Sex (gender), body weight, what food has been consumed and recent exercise to name just a few all contribute towards varying results, so the 2 pints and the majority of us would be over holds no water imo.

The current law is just fine imo.

andyp1977

Hacker
Visit site
I got pulled 15 years ago having had 2 pints. The years ban was difficult to take. Almost lost my job. I thought I’d be fine after 2. Needless to say I don’t have anything if I’m driving now. So yes, 2 pints can put you over.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Everyone’s metabolism is different for various reasons so the simplistic 2 pints and your over would affect the majority of people as many have inferred to is wrong imo.

Sex (gender), body weight, what food has been consumed and recent exercise to name just a few all contribute towards varying results, so the 2 pints and the majority of us would be over holds no water imo.

Exactly no two people are the same.
The person who has a drink once in a blue moon will probably be close to the limit with two pints, at the other end someone who drinks regularly won’t be.
Factor in age, body type, weight, metabolism, diet etc etc and no two people will have the same alcohol tolerance.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a fan tbh, Nuneaton had a cracking scheme where you could invest your winnings into either pro shop or bar. But no bar levy 👍

£4 a pint for none members and 20% disco for members 🤔 hardly a deal. As for drinking and driving 😱 are the police working at 10pm ?

D

Deleted member 15344

So if people have different tolerances and not one single one of us knows exactly how we will react to even just one drink wouldn’t it be safer for the limit to be reduced - there are plenty places that have very low drink drive limits - if only two pints can affect your reactions and people have caused accidents on two pints why not reduce it ?

Do people really need to have that extra pint or drink before driving

Would the change in law be that bad for people ? Surely changing the law to reduce the limit would help reduce the amount of people that are dangerous on the road ?

Imurg

Visit site
The person who has a drink once in a blue moon will probably be close to the limit with two pints, at the other end someone who drinks regularly won’t be.

Your reaction to alcohol is largely irrelevant.
It's how much alcohol in your system that matters - how much you regularly drink has no effect on that.
How quickly you metabolize the alcohol makes the difference.

Imurg

Visit site
So if people have different tolerances and not one single one of us knows exactly how we will react to even just one drink wouldn’t it be safer for the limit to be reduced - there are plenty places that have very low drink drive limits - if only two pints can affect your reactions and people have caused accidents on two pints why not reduce it ?

Do people really need to have that extra pint or drink before driving

Would the change in law be that bad for people ? Surely changing the law to reduce the limit would help reduce the amount of people that are dangerous on the road ?

Is the person 1% below the limit really much safer than the person 1% over?
Although being over the limit obviously isn't good, if you're just over it you're very marginally more dangerous than someone marginally under it.
The serial offenders 2-3-4 times over are the dangerous ones and no reduction in the limit is going to have an effect on them..
And, although over the limit, a serial drinker who is just over could be safer than an occasional drinker just under as the Wino may have built up a "resistance" to the effects.
Add into that then fact that you've actually got to try quite hard to get caught as there's simply not enough Police patrols to catch offenders