Bar levy/card

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not knowledgeable enough to comment on the other points but always makes me wonder this point above. If you were happy with the "deal" you got when you joined then why do you care what other people are paying?

I have absolutely zero idea about which of my playing friends are on intermediate memberships, maybe joined as couples so (I think) pay slightly less joining fee etc as I'm happy with what I pay (and I get value for money from that). Unless everyone at your club earns exactly the same then there is zero relevance in what salary people earn (I have friends who earn much more and much less than me but we pay the same).

Why are the members unhappy? Is it that they feel what they are paying is over the odds (in which case should probably leave), or is it just green eyed monster stuff?

If some new members get membership at an amount less than I pay - and if I am comfortable paying what I do - then rather than being resentful towards these members I am grateful for their memberships subs keeping mine down. The complaint is symptomatic of what is in my view that we are becoming rather too much of an envious and resentful society these days.

Better I say for all if we just accepted what we have and are comfortable with, rather than worrying about what others have - I take the view that that is their good fortune rather than my misfortune.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If some new members get membership at an amount less than I pay - and if I am comfortable paying what I do - then rather than being resentful towards these members I am grateful for their memberships subs keeping mine down. The complaint is symptomatic of what is in my view that we are becoming rather too much of an envious and resentful society these days.

Better I say for all if we just accepted what we have and are comfortable with, rather than worrying about what others have - I take the view that that is their good fortune rather than my misfortune.

Spot on with that. Unfortunately not everyone has that outlook on life.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with Nick and some of the other comments. A golf course is a golf course but a GOLF CLUB is more than just the golf - it is a social place where people play golf and enjoy the company of other members in the bar etc. At our place, the roll up is every day until 10.30 - people meet in the bar and put their names down with the pro who may be there or whoever is organising - many people have drink/breakfast etc. Then the fourballs go out and they all stop in the halfway hut - and nearly everyone goes into the bar afterwards for lots of piss-taking and banter - sport will be on the tv etc. It is a good vibe and i believe that you need to support the club by spending in the bar/restaurant

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with Nick and some of the other comments. A golf course is a golf course but a GOLF CLUB is more than just the golf - it is a social place where people play golf and enjoy the company of other members in the bar etc. At our place, the roll up is every day until 10.30 - people meet in the bar and put their names down with the pro who may be there or whoever is organising - many people have drink/breakfast etc. Then the fourballs go out and they all stop in the halfway hut - and nearly everyone goes into the bar afterwards for lots of piss-taking and banter - sport will be on the tv etc. It is a good vibe and i believe that you need to support the club by spending in the bar/restaurant

Can't argue with that and exactly what a good club should be about. Our roll ups are equally as fierce in terms of the on course banter and the weekend ones I play in are particularly savage back in the 19th but all done in good humour. Great blokes to play with and enjoy a bite and a beer with