Banditry

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I know, we've discussed it previously. It's just really difficult because our greens are hellish in summer. You can so easily rack up three or four three-putts and it's pretty hard to break 80 if you do that.

Oh, and the next FIVE rounds at the bottom of my record are all counting rounds from my old course now. So I'm more likely to hit 17 than my goal of 12 I should think. Wish me luck. :LOL:

1654677810925.jpeg

D

Deleted member 3432

I class myself in this position. Pre lockdown I was 13hc looking to get as low as possible. Now I’m sitting at 16.9, which gives me 19 shots around most courses off the whites. It’s embarrassing.

Sadly tho, I’m not sure I’ve bottomed out yet so I started practicing last night…

Blue tee comp on Saturday Dave and going to be windy, get yourself up here for some torture..(y)

Stick in, bound to be better golf round the corner if the weather improves...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My own experience of playing off handicap far higher than my ability was not of my making and happened when I first gave up working.

I had spent so much of the summer playing at other courses that I had not played in any comps. Before the first comp I went in to see the sec and asked for a cut. "Do it in a medal" was the reply so I won the next medal by 4 shots, back in to see him "I'll cut you by another shot", I won the next medal "I'll cut you by another shot" at which point I gave up and did it all in medals coming down from 16 to 8.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never been classed as a bandit, maybe as a junior where I had a single season when I came down from 28 to 9 handicap but that was due to playing & practising a lot & since then it's certainly never been the case.

My brother joined the club last week after playing maybe a round a year for the last 20 years, he's put 3 cards in & has been given a handicap index of 22 so he will play off 24. He thinks this is too low & he wont be able to play to it, I on the other hand think he will be a bandit once he gets a little more consistent. If you saw him hit the ball there is no way you'd believe he was playing off 24, he came to the driving range with me & was hitting his driver around 280 yards fairly regularly on Trackman Range he got one out there at 310 yards & carries his 7 iron around 170 yards. He is his own worst enemy though as he gets really frustrated when he hits a bad shot & he then follows it up with a few more, always on the same hole so he'll come off with an 8, 9 or 10 but then he'll go and par the hardest hole on the course by launching a good drive & hitting the green in 2 which I would say 70% of the members can't reach in regulation. I think his expectations are too high, he plays with me & because he can hit it nearly as far as myself it's like he expects to be able to score like me but I've been playing for the last 20 years whilst he hasn't. He did say he tries to make up for a bad shot & puts a lot of pressure on himself to hit a good one next time or tries to pull off a shot he maybe shouldn't but I had a chat with him about this & hopefully he takes on board what I told him. In summary once he sorts a couple of issues out in his game he will be definitely be in the bandit category, he has the natural ability & speed to be single digit handicap player so he may well raise a few eyebrows at the club.

I don't understand why the bits I've underlined above put him into a bandit category. Isn't the point here that he has a followed the rules, got a handicap, but has potential to inmprove? Isn't that one of the fundamentals of playing a sport?

Perhaps the definitions of bandit aren't clear. There seems to be :

bandit - artificially mainpulates their game so that they can win competitions that are (in their mind at least) prestigious. This is bad.
bandit - capable of playing better than their handicap sometimes so will win ocassionally. Nothing wrong with that.
bandit - someone improving, so will see handicap reduce over time, but in the meantime can get some pretty impressive net scores. This sometimes seems to rub people up the wrong way. I'm not sure what they are doing wrong and why they should attract complaint.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting. My last club has got a few members who's handicap rose quite alarmingly when whs came in. Why was this?

It was always forecast to happen. The problem with the old system is that it could takes years to reach your correct handicap if you were getting worse unless it was done by review. Even with the new system I have seen several players (including myself) who have reached the hard cap (5 shots)

I have played with the same Saturday group for years and many of them have seen an increase of 5 shots or so since the WHS came in, one guy has gone from 16 to 32 (mind you he is a bandit who is known to do things to protect his handicap and regularly shoots 40+ points in a couple of swindles).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cos their recent form was crap prior to implementation of WHS
People do try to over analyse and over complicate the whole move to WHS but really it is quite simple, as you point out in this post. Score well and your HI comes down, score badly and it goes up. It doesn't move based on what you want it to be, it doesn't move based on your 1-2 good rounds per year, it shows where you are at on the whole at this time. People just don't like to see this, a bit like real world drive lengths, because it hurts their ego.

Springveldt

Visit site
Finished last season on 19.0. Played consistently well over the winter in non-qualifying competitions, winning a few of them, and was convinced my handicap would drop like a stone when the qualifiers started again in April.

Currently on 18.3 after 15 qualifiers this season, so it didn't really pan out how I expected!
Those shorter winter tees really give you a false sense of confidence. Same for me, was sure I would get my index down to 4.4 this year but so far have only 2 counting scores from 11 rounds after playing well all winter.

As for the topic, I had the situation once as a junior where my handicap didn't catch up to all the practice I had been putting in. Had a ridiculous sub 60 net in a comp.

As an adult when I took the game up again I had a lot of lessons and practice before submitting my cards. When I did I had an initial handicap of 15 and won a board comp (my 7th competition) with a net 64. Wasn't really a bandit though as I only won by 1 shot. I've also lost with a net 64 when I was off 12.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
It was always forecast to happen. The problem with the old system is that it could takes years to reach your correct handicap if you were getting worse unless it was done by review. Even with the new system I have seen several players (including myself) who have reached the hard cap (5 shots)

I have played with the same Saturday group for years and many of them have seen an increase of 5 shots or so since the WHS came in, one guy has gone from 16 to 32 (mind you he is a bandit who is known to do things to protect his handicap and regularly shoots 40+ points in a couple of swindles).

If the player was following the rules, surely by definition their handicap was correct, even it meant that player was struggling to score well, or was performing exceptionally.

Handicapping is an arbitrary system. There is a new way doing it. There was an old way of doing it. They are not the same, and cannot be compared. Players should not be criticised if they are not enagging in shady practices.

Springveldt

Visit site
Having returned to golf in November after a 13 year break I joined a club put 3 cards in got a 16.3 handicap which I was pleased with as I didn’t think I’d need a shot every hole. After 7 months I was at 5.4 and won a fair few comps. No board majors though. So maybe I got talked about during that time but I’ve made lots of friends at the club and they’ve seen me get better as I’ve put in a lot of time /practice. When I restarted I had no clue I was going to do so well being in my 50,s with being pretty short off the tee ect.
What was your handicap before the break? Dropping 11 shots in 7 months is mental, especially when you started at 16. You must have been a good player before the break.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't understand why the bits I've underlined above put him into a bandit category. Isn't the point here that he has a followed the rules, got a handicap, but has potential to inmprove? Isn't that one of the fundamentals of playing a sport?

Perhaps the definitions of bandit aren't clear. There seems to be :

bandit - artificially mainpulates their game so that they can win competitions that are (in their mind at least) prestigious. This is bad.
bandit - capable of playing better than their handicap sometimes so will win ocassionally. Nothing wrong with that.
bandit - someone improving, so will see handicap reduce over time, but in the meantime can get some pretty impressive net scores. This sometimes seems to rub people up the wrong way. I'm not sure what they are doing wrong and why they should attract complaint.

In my opinion he has done nothing wrong as he's doing it all by the book & he can't currently be classed as a bandit, but he will be put into that category by the people who play with him or see him play. I introduced him to some people I know other day, then he smashed one down the middle & long, they asked what he played off & their faces said it all but they wont have seen the 2 x 8's, 9 & 10 he made that day & the 7 x 3 putts he made.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion he has done nothing wrong as he's doing it all by the book & he can't currently be classed as a bandit, but he will be put into that category by the people who play with him or see him play. I introduced him to some people I know other day, then he smashed one down the middle & long, they asked what he played off & their faces said it all but they wont have seen the 2 x 8's, 9 & 10 he made that day & the 7 x 3 putts he made.
I am on a weird run right now of hitting my 1st tee shot of the day right up the middle, clean as you like. It's been like that all season. The rest may be good, bad or indifferent but that 1st is solid. People see one shot and make up their minds about someone when it is clearly only one shot. Golf is slightly odd like that. As you say, you see all of the ones that follow.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I wouldn’t call it bandit golf but my first hcap was 27. I had never played in a board comp and was crapping bricks as I teed up with my brother and an ex lady captain On Captains day. Long story short I won with 43 or 44 points. I was absolutely knackered both mentally and physically. The last three holes were like doing a second marathon. I had only been a member about 4 months and the usual
“ bandit” comments were quoted from pals when I went into the 19 th hole. Felt gutted for the guy who I beat on countback that played off about 4. He had the round of his life. I think I was cut about 3 shots in old money. I was more happy with that.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Interesting. My last club has got a few members who's handicap rose quite alarmingly when whs came in. Why was this?
I think he didn't have many cards in coming up to the introduction, as he'd played up in Scotland a lot and not many comps at Westerham. He'd also been playing quite badly in comps before that.
He's playing much better now! Shot a nett 67 in the last medal!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I am on a weird run right now of hitting my 1st tee shot of the day right up the middle, clean as you like. It's been like that all season. The rest may be good, bad or indifferent but that 1st is solid. People see one shot and make up their minds about someone when it is clearly only one shot. Golf is slightly odd like that. As you say, you see all of the ones that follow.
I played in a forum meet one year. I set off with 5x 2’s, nice and steady, a guy I played with made a couple of comments that my game is better than my hcap. But it was said in a way to have a dig. I had two thoughts at that point.
1, I was playing to hcap and although I had hit a few shots that were good. It was nothing special.
2, he was playing crap and I nearly said as much, but what does his crap golf have to do with my game.
He was very quick to judge ☹️

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Not me but my sister... Returned to golf, played for a year, joined a club pay as you play club and got a ropey (8 higher than her previous playing) handicap in about the first 3 weeks. Had no way to enter comps as it wasnt part of her membership. But had a handicap cert which was all she wanted.

Fast forward about 18 months, had a bit more cash so joined a proper club. First comp... prior to entering spoke to handicap sec about her untapped talent and near certain banditry, was ignored, told that everyone thinks they are fantastic until the big day. Despite her explanations that she'd played in plenty comps prior to this....

Turned up, nett 62. Deliberately left her card unsigned. Thought nothing of it

Turned up to a torrent of pelters at the wednesday sweep, bear in mind this was pre internet days so she didnt even know the results. The numpties had only ignored the fact her card was unsigned and left her in the comp.

More meetings and raking through the bins to find cards. Rightly DQ'd

From then on and for the next 10 years everyone thought she was a bandit, and that bandits could be disqualified if their scores were too good in they're first comp....

Absolute disaster all round...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a forum meet one year. I set off with 5x 2’s, nice and steady, a guy I played with made a couple of comments that my game is better than my hcap. But it was said in a way to have a dig. I had two thoughts at that point.
1, I was playing to hcap and although I had hit a few shots that were good. It was nothing special.
2, he was playing crap and I nearly said as much, but what does his crap golf have to do with my game.
He was very quick to judge ☹️
All very disappointing but ultimately says more about them.