Ban for Justin Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Banning him for one tournament isn't "cancel culture" which is the complete ostracism of someone from the public spotlight.

If this happened in football, the player would get a ban.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Turn of the mics if an apology does not cover this, it's not like he is spouting homophobic slurs on the regular. I'm sure he is embarrassed by his actions and a warning should be the end of it.

Mandofred

Visit site
You can't win unless you just never open your mouth, and then they will just call you the worlds most boring golfer....fine line to walk. Somebody is always looking for something. He got spanked for it......move on. If he were to continue to make this a regular occurrence, then get serious.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
He hasn’t got any previous and seems to be one of the soundest blokes out there. From the quotes I read he’s pretty devastated by what he said. It’s not great at all but hopefully just a really bad loose one that won’t be repeated

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
No.

These issues are always sensitive, there seems to be a genuine regret for his inappropriate comment and there was no malice in it - other to himself. Let's just get on with it.

D

Deleted member 27823

I liked JT but firmly believe that when people let the mask slip and show you who they are you should believe them.

Very sad about this.

The apology sounds sincere, perhaps this will force him to examine his prejudices and redeem himself one day.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I liked JT but firmly believe that when people let the mask slip and show you who they are you should believe them.

Very sad about this.

The apology sounds sincere, perhaps this will force him to examine his prejudices and redeem himself one day.
JT is at an age where these sort of words would be used at school as an insult. It's more immaturity than anything, I think. He did wrong, he apologised, and I don't see this as a 'mask slipping' moment.

If he really did have homophobic tendencies, we would likely have heard about them by now.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can see professional players wanting no microphones if punishment is too severe which would be a shame too , but there are loads out there waiting for a slip to be offended and most times to be offended on other peoples behalf ..

No idea what he said but obviously was bad enough to get such coverage and the apology . So nobody go getting ur underware in a twist ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Patrick Reed cursed with the same word about 5 years ago and got fined as I recall. Defo not going to be banned for it imo

D

Deleted member 15344

Very sad about this.

I think we are in danger of going a touch too far in regards being judgemental against him based on an outburst against himself

He wasn’t aiming the outburst at anyone

If he had said to someone you “add insult” - then it’s something to look at him maybe having some issues

But was cursing himself -it’s ill judged and he clearly was devastated by it all

It’s a poor mistake and he will be punished but let’s not persecute him

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Very sad about this.

Karen i understand where ur coming from and maybe im lucky i havevnt faced any of this , what ever it is called when u let a word out in frustration .

I am not for a minute condoning what ever he said and would not condone any type racism sexism or other kind of discrimination ..

Im Irish and the amount ot anti Irish jokes , sketches , the be gum be gorra stuff goes on is unnatrual , but i wouldnt call anyone to examine their predjuices abd redeem themselves .. now if they were constantly at it or using their position to promote it , id say , u need to get help u need to change,

I often say stuff i shouldnt but i would in no way try to insult some1 on purpose , i would never treat some1 diff because of their ways or beliefs , but i do say stupid things at times , (ok alot);

The guy knows he has done wrong , he has apologised , maybe give him benifit of doubt ??

Status
Not open for further replies.