Balls to you all

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ok folks,

We've had the what clubs in your bag debate but I'm also interested to know about your golf balls.

What handicap are you and what ball do you use and why. Are you a high handicapper using a Pro V1 because it is "de rigueur" or are you a mid handicapper using a ball for distance but with sufficient feel on the short shots. How many of you low handicappers DON'T use the Pro V1 or V1x and why not.

To start the ball rolling (sic)

Handicap 15 - I use Callway HX tour 56 - I find it flies well and is reasonably long, but has a soft feel and stops well on the greens yet there is a nice feel of the putter head (not puddingly like some of the premium balls). Also our course is a quite windy and it has a nice stable flight even on the most blustery days.

There you go folks, lets see if you've got the balls

B

birdieman

Off 4.
Currently using Nike One Platinum, quite long but stops ok too, not as stoppy a ProV1 but greens are soft this year so not important. Used to play Callaway HX Tour but found they cut up to quick. Nike's last well and dont easily scuff but also perform as a premium ball should.
Mildly superstitious, was playing distinctly average all early/mid season until I changed to a Nike One just for a change, then scored really well with it so have kept playing it since with better results.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a high handicapper and use Wilson Staff DX2 Soft. Got given a sleeve and they just felt right, long off the tee but soft enough around the green. I have given most balls a go over the last year and have always come back to these.

ForeLeft

Medal Winner
Visit site
I play off 22 and won a box of callaway warbirds in a texas scramble recently. As I have not lost them all, I am still playing with them. They seem ok.
As a high handicapper, I have never really given much thought to type of balls or if there would be any real advantage in changing. ( I have however, drawn the line at lake balls!)

I would be interested to hear if a ball change at my level would be worth considering......(driving rubbish but short game quite good)

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i play off 14 and use pro v1s to start a round, then if i lose a couple i play with cheaper balls. (doesnt happen too often)

i really need to see what ball would suit me better, but havent got round to it. im a pretty good ball striker for my handicap, and feel they give me what im looking for with my irons. not so sure about the rest though

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I prefer Pro Vis for competitions. However, I find more balls than I need looking for those that a regular partner loses. So I'm happy to use any Titleist, Calloway or Dunlop that I don't have to pay for.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Off 8,

I’ve tried allsorts but to be honest I find myself coming back to Pro V1 every time. It just feels right.

However in no particular order i've also tried:

Callaway HX 56 - Nice ball but found they mark up way too easily.

Nike One Black - Cracking ball and not too dissimilar in feel to the Pro V1.

Srixon ZURC & ZURS - Both of which are great balls but feel a little bit on the hard side to me.

I’ll also make use of any old tatty ball I can find in my bag if i’m having one of those ‘I don’t know where the ball is going’ days on the course. The prospect of losing upteen £3 a time golf balls in a round is sometimes too much to bear :(

DHM.

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Here is a related question: What is the worst ball you have played with?
I was out one evening playing a few solitary holes (very badly), and soon run out of decent balls. After delving to the finds ball pocket of my bag i was stuck with a dilemma. DDH, Penfold commando or lady pinnacle. DDH it was, for my next shot anyway. Then walked in, even i have standards(ish).

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
A Penfold Commando brings back some memories of yesteryear.

How they can be classified as a golf ball i'll never know.

You're better off playing golf with a malteser ;)

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A Penfold Commando brings back some memories of yesteryear.

How they can be classified as a golf ball i'll never know.

You're better off playing golf with a malteser ;)

Showing your age. Do you remember the Penfold Ace and the Dunlop Warwick?

B

birdieman

I remember getting excited finding a Dunlop 65i or a Spalding Tour Edition in the thick stuff.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can you remember the Bromford, GBD or the Spalding Bruce Devlin? Bruce Devlin was a top Aussie player and the ball named after him was like a pebble, probably a forerunner of the TopFlite.
How many of the posters can remember when your balls were of two different sizes? One American and one British. I think about 1972 our smaller balls were scrapped. This is a fact, just ask an older golfer.

thebelgie24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
god shanker u brought back memories their,i remember putting comps in our back gardens when we were kids an one of my mates uncles came over from usa,he showed us his...ooh er,had forgotten that,cheers,ps im only 39!

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst playing a fousome with some members at Formby we were informing everyone which ball we were playing and the usual Pro v1 number 3 and Callaways were mentioned. My partner then said he was playing a Penfold. Quick as a flash one of the crusty old members said "Don't bother telling us the number cos you will be the only one here playing one of those." My partner was duly embarrassed and the stress of this "gentlemans" comment caused him to duff his first tee shot. Unfortunately, he didn't regain his composure for the entire round. Is this what would be described as the ultimate act of gamesmanship?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Nike one black or prov1 for me. Both seem very similar. My irons cut up everything, but these seem the best. I absolutely shred nxt tours, so these are probably my worst choice.

robtee

Visit site
Play off 8
Have used pro v1 for a number of years and get on fine, the problem is that if i try a different ball and i don't play as well i always blame the ball! so now i can't change
I find the pro v1 drives well but is best around the greens and gives me better response on short chips and general putting
Whatever ball you use i would stick with the one you feel happiest with, unless you keep losing balls then i'd use a ping-pong ball!!

holein1

Club Champion
Visit site
Anyone tried the TaylorMade Men’s TP Red Golf Balls or the black ones if so are they any good. Or should i stick to my pro v's

imanhacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep, played both red & black and I can honestly say they are both very good and well worth trying. Used either one them for the last few weeks although I have yet to determine which I prefer.