Balls, The softer the better for me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part of the issue regarding softness and feel is thst with the modern ball constructions different clubhead speeds will experience different feels with the irons, or different wood constructions and putters inserts (or not) - all with the same ball!

For a huge number of golfers what they are feeling is the cover rather than the compression. Most premium balls have soft covers, but of course in that sector the use of multiple layers can then provide a different ball feel depending on how much the ball is compressed in the strike. Thus, as a practical example, someone who hits their 7 iron 175 may judge a particular ball as hard that another, playing the same club but carrying it 125 might judge it very soft!

However, putting all that aside, Srixon soft feel and Callaway supersoft should both fit the spec set out in the initial post. Of course many others will too

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
tour soft is softer.

Not according to Titleist;

The Titleist DT TruSoft golf ball has been redesigned with a new core and a new cover delivering longer distance on all shots. It’s the softest feeling Titleist and provides superior distance through low spin on long shots and increased short game spin for stopping power on the green.

https://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-balls/dt-trusoft

Last edited:

jpxpro

Assistant Pro
Visit site
this might be of interest, i recently done a ball test using a new wilson dx2 soft, new titleist pro v1 (2017) and mizuno jpx-s balls

34zlmdj.png

DaveTheHead00

Medal Winner
Visit site
this might be of interest, i recently done a ball test using a new wilson dx2 soft, new titleist pro v1 (2017) and mizuno jpx-s balls

34zlmdj.png

Now that’s very interesting. The softest of those is the Wilson and look at this low sidespin numbers. That might calm down the miss hits and give some straighter flights.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
They do look a good ball. Bit worried about how much they do spin and the price point puts them alongside the premium balls out there. but they have the potential to be a big noise in the ball market in 2018. Will definitely get a sleeve to try

They are just the new version of the b333 RXS, clubhouse have the current ones for 24.99 a box. It’s a good ball, I used them for a bit last year because I got quite a few free

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
As far as I know, the Wilson Dx2 soft ladies (or now the DUO soft ladies, which seems to be the predecessor) is the softest ball on the market. The Srixon Ultisoft is really soft as well. I have not tried the DUO yet, but played both the Dx2 and the Ultisoft last year and liked them both very much. They have good stopping power on the green as well.

DaveTheHead00

Medal Winner
Visit site
As far as I know, the Wilson Dx2 soft ladies (or now the DUO soft ladies, which seems to be the predecessor) is the softest ball on the market. The Srixon Ultisoft is really soft as well. I have not tried the DUO yet, but played both the Dx2 and the Ultisoft last year and liked them both very much. They have good stopping power on the green as well.

I'm going to be trying the DX2 Soft, And The Ultisoft. The advice on this thread is exactly what I needed. I think its great that I started the thread expecting every one to love the Callaway Supersoft but actually turns out that the most popular makes for softness are as you suggested, the Wilson and Srixon balls.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

34zlmdj.png

What is interesting is that Mizuno's marketing claims the micro dimples on he JPX give the ball a longer flight. Which on the iron shots it not to far behind, but on driver where you would imagine it would perform, it is way behind.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What is interesting is that Mizuno's marketing claims the micro dimples on he JPX give the ball a longer flight. Which on the iron shots it not to far behind, but on driver where you would imagine it would perform, it is way behind.

I thought that. I'd like to see a few more balls (Srixon Ulti soft, Project A, as they've been mentioned, Supersoft etc) and get some sort of definitive list

jpxpro

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ive got access to a gc2, will try and gather a larger selection of balls and see what numbers they produce, obviously like all tests each player is individual and subject to strike etc but should give an idea of what balls perform better than others

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
ive got access to a gc2, will try and gather a larger selection of balls and see what numbers they produce, obviously like all tests each player is individual and subject to strike etc but should give an idea of what balls perform better than others

Cheers. Would certainly be interesting to see this soft category of ball tested fully so people could get a solid idea of spin, carry etc.