Ok so the TopTracer has been lying to me … following on from previous thread.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my numbers are definitely inflated because of the lofts it seems.

My next set of clubs will be 100% more focused on ball control.

Almost makes me want to whip my credit card out now

There is fairly big jumps in the lofts. The loft gaps get smaller as you go down the clubs towards the long irons.

I have titlesit ap3 irons. I see these as strong lofted irons. These rad speeds are even stronger again.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Are there many sets out there with around 4 degrees between each club from a 9i - 4i ?

Not these days but it's how lofts used to progress.
Most of my sets go like that from 3 iron to PW with a bit of variation which probably comes from manufacturing tolerance when they were made and lofts moving through play over the years.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I’ve learnt over the last couple of day’s is that I’m going to need a ‘forged’ set with 4 degrees inbetween.

Anyone selling?
My only advise would be to drop the 1 length clubs.
Other than that, go wild.
Forged clubs are not better than cast. It’ll make ZERO difference to scores

Springveldt

Visit site
From what I’ve learnt over the last couple of day’s is that I’m going to need a ‘forged’ set with 4 degrees inbetween.

Anyone selling?
I don’t think you do. The spin is low for the stated iron number but it’s not that low for the lofts. Also factor in that you are hitting off a mat which also lowers the spin, you will see Crossfield say all the time that on the course, off of grass the spin could be up to 1K higher.

Also look at the height and the land angle, those are actually really good. That’s were the stopping power will come from. Your 8 iron numbers are very similar to my 7 iron numbers, your spin is around 400rpm lower but that was caused by a flyer only spinning low 4000’s and I have no issues stopping a 7 iron.

You could even change the ball to the V1X which will spin a touch more and fly higher but at a height over 100 feet and a land angle of 47 that will hold a green with no issues.

As others have said, get out and play before you even consider changing irons. Those current numbers are not bad at all unless you have ideas of being scratch or better imho. Don’t waste time chasing perfect numbers in a simulator, I’ve been there and done that and it didn’t help my handicap at all. What did help was playing actual golf and trying to hit functional shots, not perfect shots.

phillarrow

Visit site
Hi mate, I wouldn't be too quick to knock those who are advising you against getting too drawn into the stats. It's genuine advice and is well meaning.

I'm one of the people who have responded to your other threads and talked about your gapping etc. I'm also someone who loves the stats and technical side of the game.
However, I didn't realise just how new you were to golf.

In all honesty, right now every conversation about gapping, descent angles, spin numbers etc. really is futile.
You can hit the ball far and that's a massive advantage, especially for a new golfer. However, and based on how far you can hit it, your actual score will depend on how straight you are and how well you can chip and put. Everything else is just stuff at this stage.

Knowing your carry distances will really help but it's still not as important right now as just getting out there and seeing how your numbers translate to the course.

My advice would be:
1) Accept whatever your long game is right now whilst working on ball striking and learning your typical shape on the course.
2) The time you're currently spending on the technical side of the data - spend it on practising chipping and putting instead.
3) If you intend to change to normal irons, do it before too long - before you've totally ingrained that one swing into your system and have to 're-learn' swings with different stances.

Other than that, enjoy yourself. Good luck for your first comp. ?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Hi mate, I wouldn't be too quick to knock those who are advising you against getting too drawn into the stats. It's genuine advice and is well meaning.

I think some miserable old folks on here have it got it twisted.

I’m simply trying to understand what the data means. People have mistaken this and painted some sort of picture of me where they think I’m just sat at a screen analysing the numbers numbers 24/7 like some sort of weirdo coupled with the idea that i spend more time doing this than playing golf ?.

but the irony of that is it couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ll easily churn out over 100 rounds this summer.

And I appreciate the sentiments btw. I feel like over the week on this forum I’ve learn some very useful things from numerous members that will no doubt help me moving forward.

Last edited: