Ball test - Pro V1 vs MP-S vs Tour B330 RX

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Before I start, I'll add a disclaimer that this is my opinion based on my experiences today and may not reflect your own experiences with these balls.

I was supposed to be playing the monthly medal today, but unfortunately due to family commitments, had to give it a miss. The only way I would get a game was if I went at the crack of dawn... So that's what I did. My usual partners were playing the medal at 9.30am, so played alone.

I decided to do a mini ball test of my own just to freshen things up a little.

Decided to compare the Titleist Pro V1 (2012), the Mizuno MP-s and the Bridgestone B330 Tour RX.

null_zpsd839b0e9.jpg

I decided to score one ball, but play 3 over the 18 holes. A little naughty but the course was literally empty and no excess damage was caused.

It's the first time I've had the opportunity to try a premium Bridgestone ball so I was very interested to see how it performed compared to my stock ball (Pro V1)

null_zpsf0427f6c.jpg

Off the tee

All the balls perform pretty similar off the tee. The Titleist is noticeably softer then the Mizuno and the Bridgestone. The Mizuno and the Bridgestone, on the other hand, do seem to offer more distance than the Titlesist. All the balls had a similar trajectory off the tee peg.

Of the 3 the Titleist and the Bridgestone seems to have the more consistent flight where the Mizuno seems to want to move though the air a lot more, a lot more of the time. Didn't matter whether I hit it the Mizuno first, second or last, it always seemed to turn more during its flight.

Irons

Again, I thought the Titleist was much softer off the face than the other two. All 3 performed pretty well with the irons. The Bridgstone again felt to me a little firmer having been playing the Pro V1 for the last 2 seasons. That said the Bridgestone was consistently longer than the Titleist with the same club. Could this be put down to quality of strike, perhaps, but consistently longer makes it harder to dismiss.

Wedges

This is where I was eager to see how the Bridgestone compared to the other two. I know from previous experience that the Titleist and the Mizuno are very similar when it comes to control with wedges, with the only difference being the Mizuno is a little firmer.

Our 8th green was completely re-laid at the start of the season. As a result it's playing pretty firm. Today, the pin was cut right at the back of the green, only around 3 yards from the fringe. The green slopes from front to back.

First ball in was the scoring ball (Titleist). The ball pitched about a 4ft short of the flag (left) and finished around 4-5ft past the flag. I felt that I didn't strike the ball pretty well, but it still held the green. The Mizuno pitched a little further back and ran out leaving around a 15ft putt. The Bridgestone, I caught as sweet as a nut. The ball pitched about 2ft shy of pin high, but offered very little in the way of spin control and ran to the back of the green into the fringe.

This could have been a combination of the firmness of the green and the slope, however, the Titleist handled the same firmness and slope, with what I felt a poorer contact than the Bridgestone, much better. Stopping much quicker after pitching.

You could probably argue I carried the Bridgestone too far, but after pacing out the roll from the pitch marks, the Titleist would still have held the green from where the Bridgestone pitched.

Chipping

Dead heat here I'm afraid. The only minor difference was the Bridgestone and Mizuno firmness compared to the Titleist.

Putting

Another aspect I was keen to see how the Bridgestone performed. Of the 3 balls, I actually preferred to putt with the Bridgestone. The one criticism I've always had of the Titlesit is that's it's too soft when putting. It's pretty much the same with the Mizuno, albeit the Mizuno is a tad firmer. The Bridgestone offers a good, crisp contact and doesn't make a bad noise as sit comes off the putter face. For me, it's just the right feeling for putting. Neither too soft, nor too hard. A perfect compromise.

Conclusion

From my previous review on the Mizuno MP-S ball, it's a very good alternative to the Pro V1. Fractionally longer than the Titleist, but a tad more spiny in the air.

The Bridgestone I thought was a very good ball. It's the ball I really wanted to play as I've never had the chance. I think I could get used to the firmer feel after a little use. The one thing I'm not so sure I couldn't used to is the compromised control with wedges. The ball just doesn't have the same level of spin compared to the Pro V1. To putt with, the Bridgestone is fantastic. Best of the 3 in my opinion when it comes to putting the ball in the hole.

Overall, all the balls are pretty solid. They all play very similar and offer very similar results albeit with a slightly different feel.

I'm off back out tomorrow morning with just the Bridgestone. I really want to like this ball. It's consistently longer than the Pro V1, equally good to chip with and much better to putt with. Couple to that cheaper to buy per dozen it's a more sensible choice. The Titleist ticks all the boxes though.

If, tomorrow, the Bridgestone performs a little better when hit into greens I could well be swayed. I suppose this time tomorrow I'll have my answer

NB: after all the above I was done in just over 3 hours and clear of the course without holding anyone up :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nice one Gareth.
I've been using the RX, amongst others, and I get the same results as you.
Could well be my Winter ball...
Maybe the RXS would hold better - is that the "spinnier" version..?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges though Gareth,as the RX as you probably know is the 'distance' ball of the 2 premium balls for >100mph swing speeds.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts if you could get hold of an RXS to test as well.

G

guest100718

The RX is allegedly for slower swingers. But swing speed matters little around the green...Id agree that the RX doesnt spin aswell as other premium balls.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges though Gareth,as the RX as you probably know is the 'distance' ball of the 2 premium balls for >100mph swing speeds.

that's < 100......... the B 330 and 330 S are for >100 :)

as to the test - the RX will be a similar feel to the Z-Star XV or 2013 ProV1x, Nike 20XI S

RXS to the ProV1

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bridgestone use 105mph for their definition of the boundary of swing speed between the various balls ... whether 104 mph is considered a slow swing speed is a debate that would rage on forever. :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
that's < 100......... the B 330 and 330 S are for >100 :)

as to the test - the RX will be a similar feel to the Z-Star XV or 2013 ProV1x, Nike 20XI S

RXS to the ProV1

My bad terminology. By > I meant 'up to'. For over 100 I'd write 100> or 100+. It was a long time ago :eek:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My bad terminology. By > I meant 'up to'. For over 100 I'd write 100> or 100+. It was a long time ago :eek:

fret not sir - from it's conspicuous absence from txt messages I suspect many on here wouldn't have had a clue what you were even trying to say; or what I said :) come to think of it.......

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have used the RX and Z star for a while now, really want to try the RXS as they are advertised as offering more spin than an RX.

Got some second hand HEX blacks of ebay and I have to say these are a little firmer and really nice to putt with and offer good spin.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting point you all make about the RX version of the Bridgestone versus the RXS.

When I used the Bridgestone fitting guide on line, for my criteria, it suggested the RX version. The same as the Titleist fitting tool suggested the Pro V1 when I first tried that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not tried the Mizuno offering. I like the Bridegstone's and they are a cheaper alternative to the Pro V. To be honest with the exception of the Callaway premium balls which I just find way too firm off the wedge and putter face, all the others are much of a muchness for a player of my ability. I will go for the best price at the time as my only criteria

rich1981

Club Champion
Visit site
That is one of the better reviews I have read on the forum, but I was put off by the fact the first pic shows you have two left feet.....freaky :D

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is one of the better reviews I have read on the forum, but I was put off by the fact the first pic shows you have two left feet.....freaky :D

Think he needed a bush moment - cross legged :)

Nice review Gareth. We have a Bridgestone ball fitting at the club mid October so have signed up for that. If everything about the Bridgestone performs better for you apart from some extra run out on wedges I would think you'd adapt to that pretty quicly.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

If you really want to know I had assumed the classic tea pot pose trying to work iOS 7 whilst juggling 3 balls whilst keeping the logos in the right place :mad:

Well spotted though :thup:

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
I used the RX or RXS the 2 season before this one before changing to ProV1/V1x and my findings were as follows;

Driver swing speed 108-112 average, i20 7 iron is 160-165.

When I first started using the RX (sub 105 swing speed) it was the longest and straightest off the tee, it did roll out more but I just played less club. Putted nice too. It flew lower than the RXS and about 5 yards longer.
RXS went higher, putted the same as RX and was pretty good with full wedge shots re spin.
when I used a prov during this time I would say the RXS did as good a job.

now swinging at a higher speed and a better player the ProV is a lot better and longer. I suspect if I tried the bridgestone 330-s it would be the same. Another ball which I have found which is very close to playing like a ProV1x is the Callaway hex chrom+ and that is £26 a dozen at a shop near me.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Excellent write up Gareth.

I've not tried the Mizzy yet. I did a test between the ProV, Callaway Hex Black Tour & the Bridgestone 330 RXS a couple of months back. Previously, I played the TM TP3 but they're no longer produced - didn't like the TP5, which TM have quickly dropped in favour of the lethal...

Anyway, the Prov shaded it off the tee but wasn't as responsive around the green as the Bridgestone - the Callaway was a bit nondiscript for me. A dozen Bridgestone's went into the bag. BUT on a bad day, that extra spin the Bridgestone seems to have can be a little dangerous off the tee - if you get it going sideways, it really goes sideways.

I'll use up the Bridgestone's but will be putting the ProV's in the bag once they're gone.