Ball strike patterns

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ball strike patterns, not actually sure if that's the correct way to describe my question but think you'll see what I mean ;)

I have just started to play again after a lay off of about 7-8 years, I wasn't a great player back then but could get it round quite nicely and would probably have been off about 14ish if I'd had an official HC.

Since starting again I've noticed I hit a lot of irons out of the toe, probably at least half, so I thought I'd have a go on the range to see if I could fathom out why and discovered something quite interesting.

The marks on the face did indeed show most of my iron shots were being hit from the toe or more correctly from the toe side of centre with the marks being on the end of the grooves and not right on the tip, and now the bit that interested me. I had a go with my driver too and while I've not had too many issues with the driver there have been one or two shots that just went very low and very left and only about 50-60yds - a wipe after every shot revealed ball marks all from the heel of the face, same sort of area as the irons but opposite, heel side of centre.

Clearly I need some lessons to sort this and fully intend to but in the mean time wondered if anybody had any ideas why this is happening.

The irons are Mizuno T-Zoid MX20's with Dynamic Gold Lite R300 steel shafts and the driver is TM R540 with a R Flex mas2 70 graphite shaft.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am no way qualified to comment (but will anyway! LOL), but could it be as simple as you are standing too far away from the ball with your irons and too close with the driver?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
unlike the previous 2 posters I believe what you are describing could also be a function of shaft, or swingweight.

I base this on finding the same thing (toe) on my 3 wood - extremely consistent but in the wrong place! Only that club.

Tried out another couple of 3 woods, very similar, with particular attention to where they came of the face - bought the one with 3/3 from the middle there and then :)

So, logically you can set up with your irons to the inside of the face, and your driver to the toe - or try and find one that is better suited to you now (starting with the driver obviously!)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
On a slightly unrelated point.

Many of the R540 Drivers are non-conforming - high COR.

You can tell the difference by the presence (conforming) or not (non-conforming) of grooves near the middle of the face. The lists and photos are on the R&A website.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a slightly unrelated point.

Many of the R540 Drivers are non-conforming - high COR.

You can tell the difference by the presence (conforming) or not (non-conforming) of grooves near the middle of the face. The lists and photos are on the R&A website.

Just checked my driver - oops........

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to a Callaway demo day recently and the rep tested my impact with some tape. He showed me a mark somewhere between middle and the toe end of the clubface.

Offered me a club with a .5 inch (I think) longer shaft and tested again, the mark went to the middle. Next set I buy I will be CF and its something I will definitely be looking at.

The same rep advised me to move from a standard grip with 2 wraps to midsize. I decided to change all my bag to midsize and I've been more consistent since so maybe he knows a thing or two.