Ball Problems

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I really can't understand the obsession, particularly in mid - high h/cappers, for wanting to get lots of "stop" or backspin on the greens.

It's fine if you know exactly how the ball will react every time you pitch or chip it but for that to happen, you need to be able to hit it consistently well - not something that most of us do imho.

Surely, it's far better to get the ball on to the green and let it run out towards the hole. It's a much easier shot to play, judge and get used to, and I would submit that it's a far higher percentage shot.

I have to agree with the venerable gentleman. For most of us, get it on the green first and woory about the spin later. A good well struck shot is always going to naturally generate spin and on the wet greens we have at the moment it will stop (and maybe spin a tad) anyway. Even in the sumer if you hit down on a shot properly and compress it (ball then turf) then most makes will still bounce and then grip.

It depends on your game and budget. If you can afford to lose 2-3 premium balls a round and buy replacements then any ball on the market is there for you. If you are losing a ball a round and want value for money then the 2 piece market has some very good makes in there. If you are a beginner, then play with whatever you can get cheaply until you get better. The lower guys arguably benefit the most from premium balls for the shots around the green and off the putter but a low handicap and top of the range ball aren't mutually exclusive to low scores

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really can't understand the obsession, particularly in mid - high h/cappers, for wanting to get lots of "stop" or backspin on the greens.

It's fine if you know exactly how the ball will react every time you pitch or chip it but for that to happen, you need to be able to hit it consistently well - not something that most of us do imho.

Surely, it's far better to get the ball on to the green and let it run out towards the hole. It's a much easier shot to play, judge and get used to, and I would submit that it's a far higher percentage shot.

I get what your saying but its more the knowing if you hit this properly or fairly well it should get up and down and stop. What I said in my original post is it can be a gamble if you try and roll it up its more about the control you can gain. I know I would rather try and attack a pin from 100yards and land it dead or a hop n stop. Rather than sit there thinking right pin is in the middle I need to try pitch it so many yards short on about this level so I can get the right roll down to the pin, its so much more simpler to go right 100 yards out pw should put it pin level.

Getting massive amount of back spin looks good but I have no idea how to use it so its another reason why a pro v1 is no good to me as it poses same questions about how far past do you need to spin it back and what level to aim at.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Agree 100% when close to the green. I like knowing that my 52° will roll the same distance it flies or my 8 iron is 30/70 etc.

When I do like the spin is from further out when I can land the ball on the green and know it will stop even with long irons.

PPE

Head Pro
Visit site
How straight do you hit your driver? If you are not very straight I would recommend a low spinning 2-piece ball ie AD333, E6+ or (my fav.) Callaway Diablo.
If, like you say, the short game is a problem then the softer Z-Star, B330 or Wilson FG Tour.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah its as long as it gives good feel on the putter I dont mind using a ad333, my driving has no real issues at the moment. As long as the ad333 would stop fairly quickly then it sounds like the ball for me. I may buy some z star lake balls at a cheap price to test out for the future if I dont get on so well with the ad333.

Seems quite a popular ball amongst the forum thanks for the comments certainly gave me a few things to think about.