Back Yard Golf Training

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Just had the back and side of the house slabbed. I've been thinking of acquiring a golf mat for practicing my full swing on. There's just enough room for a net, but to be honest I'd rather do without the hassle of putting it up and taking it down every night (let's call that Plan B).

I was thinking of drilling through some balls and threading string through them, securing the string to the mat and hitting that as I work on my swing. That would allow me to concentrate on feedback from the strike rather than the result.

Anybody tried/used something similar, or see any obvious flaw? (apart from the string breaking!!)

PS. Artifical grass will replace existing lawn in a couple of weeks so I can practice putting too :cool:

Ta

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I mentioned in a thread elsewhere my dear old dad had a ball attached by string to what looked like an old tent peg. Apparently they were pretty popular in the 70's for home practice. Put the peg in the ground and hit the ball. All was good until one day the string broke and it sailed through the back window of the house opposite in the next road.

To be honest I'm not sure how much useful feedback this is going to give you. Won't HID be annoyed about the holes (more so than the guys looking to buy the new cart bag)

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Homer. The missus is very understanding!

I know it's not the same as hitting balls into the wild blue yonder. It would supplement my normal practice, and I'm working on the theory that concentrating solely on the quality of the strike would be a good thing.

Just imagine it, 30 mins working on full swing. 30-45 minutes putting practice, couple of beers on the patio. Can't wait for summer to come!!!!

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Soudns a good idea :) Dont see how it would help as you cant see the flight of the ball:)

Seeing the strike, getting good compression on the ball, hitting it flush. Ingraining swing changes/improvements before taking them to the course.

Better than doing nothing (hopefully!) :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steve. I think it's a great idea.

I only use the net these days before a match (not the range). I'm only interested in warming up and hitting it nice. If I'm catching it good, I know it'll be straight enough.

chipsandegg

Head Pro
Visit site
I mentioned in a thread elsewhere my dear old dad had a ball attached by string to what looked like an old tent peg. Apparently they were pretty popular in the 70's for home practice. Put the peg in the ground and hit the ball. All was good until one day the string broke and it sailed through the back window of the house opposite in the next road.

To be honest I'm not sure how much useful feedback this is going to give you. Won't HID be annoyed about the holes (more so than the guys looking to buy the new cart bag)

Wow Homer, i dont believe that, My dad had one, i thought we were the only people on the planet to have ever owmed one. half was strin and the other half was elastic and when you hit it, it came back and i remember my dad telling me that it is guaranteed not to hit you (which it never did from what i can remember) it will have been about 1976 when he had it and it was called The Smack Back.. A bit of nostalgia for the old folks :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And I thought I was the only one. For years I was never allowed near it and then got to hit it one day. Felt like a real golfer. My dad never did go and get the ball back although I think my mum went round and did some serious grovelling and had to pen her purse big time

chipsandegg

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Just had the back and side of the house slabbed. I've been thinking of acquiring a golf mat for practicing my full swing on. There's just enough room for a net, but to be honest I'd rather do without the hassle of putting it up and taking it down every night (let's call that Plan B).

I was thinking of drilling through some balls and threading string through them, securing the string to the mat and hitting that as I work on my swing. That would allow me to concentrate on feedback from the strike rather than the result.

Anybody tried/used something similar, or see any obvious flaw? (apart from the string breaking!!)

PS. Artifical grass will replace existing lawn in a couple of weeks so I can practice putting too :cool:

Ta

check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4BqoD9BHlc