Back with a bang

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a relatively short post, as I'm not feeling up to a blow by blow account of the round at the moment. But basically I just thought I'd share with you all the fact that having returned to the course after a period of 3 months without playing a single round I shot a score beyond my wildest dreams before going out. Admittedly it was on temporary greens, with mostly frozen ground and we were playing gimmes within putter handle distance of the hole but it was never really the score I was going to be concerned with in what were 'lottery' conditions. The reason for my elation was two fold. One I struck the ball off the tee as well as I ever have (all bar the one on the very first hole!), whilst my irons were also experiencing a rare turn of accuracy . And two I enjoyed the round more than I think I ever have, not only because I played well but because of the excellent company and thrill of just being back out on the course, and in to the swing of things again ;) ! I have honestly never felt so confident on a golf course as I did yesterday. Towards the end of the 18 holes I actually felt like a golfer. Consider my passion for the game well and truly reignited.

Oh and as a side note I did manage to get some practice in on the range Friday (so I wasn't going in completely cold-turkey), as I was acting as a 'model' for a mate studying Photography at University, who was tasked with taking photos involving external flashes in fading light. I think the distraction of the camera is partly what allowed me to forget about my usual twenty odd swing thoughts and do what came naturally, and fortunately I carried this form onto the course. Long may it continue, or else it may be me requesting my friends presence at a practice session! :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hehe well done, you're obviously a quick learner... I played yesterday and we were on temps too, I hit a wedge to 10 feet on the first and it bounced as if it were on the carpark, no lie it went 50 feet in the air and ran on at least another 80 yards, I've never hit a wedge 200 yards before :(

Although there were some nice shots in there I reckon I must have been at least 3,000 over par by the end,.. maybe more :)

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yea, it's probably worth saying that whilst I claim the ground to be frozen, it wasn't rock solid throughout the course and had thawed considerably by the latter half of the round. One 9 iron I hit to a downhill par 3 managed to spin back on itself so it wasn't all too bad, just in areas where the sun wasn't reaching. Made it more difficult in a way though the fact that one hole you were able to take a divot the next you couldn't, one hole you were running in wedges 160 yards the next you were able to fly it most of the way. One of my most pleasing statistics was hitting 2/4 tiny, temporary greens on par 3s- I'd never end up within that distance of the flag as a general rule even if they always played 20 odd yards shorter! Both shots were perfectly visualised draws, with pure strikes as well so no fortunate bounces were required- making them all the sweeter. From memory one was playing about 170 downhill, the other 145. Happy days ball striking wise.

I still hate temps though! They don't even give you larger holes at my place!