Back pain and the age old debate - Carry vs Trolley

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Of late, I've been experiencing a little pain in my lower back. Nothing too severe or enough to stop me playing just a little uncomfortable.

Now, I'm not for one second putting this down to carrying my clubs. I firmly believe that a grown adult is fully capable of carrying a set of golf clubs around a golf course.

Well, I've had a Powakaddy trolley sat around doing nothing at home for the last 18 months or so, so last night decided to blow the dust off and see if it still works.

.... And it does.

After 18 months of doing nothing put it together, connected the battery and off it went down the garden. After a bit of a clean, looks in good nick ready for tomorrows round.

Now, this is not a debate as to what is better, carrying vs trolley, more about the preferred choice of getting around the course.

I enjoy carrying, but if my lower back is going to suffer because of it, then I suppose I'll have to start using the 'leccy trolley again.

I seem to remember a while back Snelly switched from carrying to a trolley for similar reasons(?).

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? How did you find the change?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I switch between the two, occasionally I get a bit of jip in the lower back so use the trolley, for me its not the carrying rather the initial lift of the bag, make sure you lift with the legs and not the back, its so easy to be lazy when lifting, 'bend zee knees'

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I tend to get some soreness in my lower back right at the begining of my golf season or if haven't played much for a while. For me, it isn't so much anything to worry about, I just treat it the same as soreness in arms or legs from going to the gym. I am almost certain that I would shoot slightly better and be less tired if I had a trolley, however golf is really a way of me keeping relatively fit as well as my main hobby so I prefer to carry.

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
I will be doing the reverse this year. Always used a trolley before - the main reason being I have a tour bag which is incredibly heavy to carry around so will get a very light carry bag for the winter. Maybe sooner if I can afford it as it's a pain having to follow the trolley path on a couple of holes.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got an electric trolley as pushing was aggravating my bad back, I carry as well and find I have no problems carrying. Push trolleys seem to aggravate me more than anything

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We get old, its a fact of life. What we could do at 20, we can't do so well at 40, and even less chance at 55. Golf is about being able to perform at your best for 18 holes, not 15 holes then limp in dragging your bag behind you. I can walk behind my trolley for 12 holes before the pain sets in. Occasionally, I'll put a few clubs in a carry bag and do 9 holes.

I'd prefer to carry for 18 holes as I used to but I'm not ashamed to admit that using a trolley is the only way I can get around 18 holes now. If using a trolley helps you play your best, leave your ego in your locker and just do it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to trolly, especially in comps so I cna pack stuff like waterproofs, gloves, drinks etc. I tend to have a nice light carry bag for cheeky nine holes after work or if I'm playing away and car sharing with limited space

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Gareth what if its your swing causing the pain, it is with me and carrying is no issue.

However, there's a lovely 'free' feeling of walking without a ton weight on your back, especially with the setting down and lifting.

I like both for lots of reasons.

G

guest100718

I still enjoy carrying for a twilite round but I use my golfstream for weekend rounds and comps.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few years ago I started to get a bit of back pain, and stiffening shoulders towards the end of a round. Bought a Powakaddy and now wouldn't be without it.

Means I can play 18, 27 or even 36 holes (at a push) without having to worry about my shoulders or back.

Wouldn't be without it now.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
I mix between the two and lately it's been carrying, I think it's quicker and easier as you don't have to follow certain paths etc. whether or not there's a benefit when you come to 15-18 hole I think there can be depending on the conditions.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've got a trolley for first time ever this year, I'm 55 and loved carrying a bag but found it hard when going back to playing regularly after nearly a decade of only playing a minimum amount.

It's definitely easier on my back and my golf is feeling the benefits - hate getting the trolley in and out of the shed to go to the course though.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a back problem recently. when I was at the chiropractor I asked could carrying have caused it. he said back pain is often not one thing. its a culmination of many things. sometimes doing one thing can tip it over the edge.

I suggest you fix the back pain properly. not dodge around it. as with most health issues, if you don't fix it , you are just storing it up for later life.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been suffering recently.

I got a new carry bag last week and have been enjoying it.... best carry bag in years.

I took out my electric trolley last night and the battery won't charge. The red light comes on briefly and then switches off (not as in turning green) so I guess the battery has had it. (Although if anyone recognises this symptom, please shout out).

So, my plan to try 18 with a trolley to see if my back is less creaky is on hold. Pity really, as I was hopeful....

Try it out, see what happens. It could just be me getting old and it's 99% swinging the club not carrying the bag. (not that it's a big bag and only has 9 clubs anyway...)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
with regard to 'lower back pain' carrying may be good for it, and it may not. your doctor will be able to advise - and, bluntly, you should find out.

it is also the case that pulling, pushing and being pulled by a trolley will all influence your posture and the different loadings on your body during the round - significantly differences between the 3.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
we clean our clubs, have them bent to exact specs, custom lengths, custom shafts, non-slip grips, milled faces, get lessons to work out kinks in our swing, hit the range countless times to ingrain the moves...

then try and walk off a little back pain. :rofl:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to carry all the time, summer time was energy sapping, winter was heavy with the extra kit and when it rained it was a pain carrying a soaking bag and getting your back soaked even more.

Changed to pull trolley and noticed a nice improvement in energy levels, eventually moved to electic and no my bag contains all that I need ... only use a carry for quick few holes and range sessions.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fire up the trolley.

No idea of your physical make up but pain still in most cases = bad; find out what you need to do not what you want to do.

I've a little experience in this as I carry a few clubs for a couple of months in the winter but for the rest of the year go electric. Finding out I'd got arthritis in my spine a few years ago (sadly, the only golf element I have in common with Mickelson:eek:) focussed attention pretty quick and never looked back. I'd prefer to carry as it's a nicer experience and more in-keeping with the game (whatever that actually means, but I still subscribe) however back pain is not to be taken lightly.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? How did you find the change?

I've struggled with back pain since my teens, and I'm 32 now. I also have bad feet, shin splints and sciatica that causes pain in my hip. I'll occasionally carry a half set if I'm playing 9 holes but I prefer to use a trolley. It can be a bit of a pain in the winter having to navigate around the squishy bits that have been roped off, but I honestly wouldn't care if I never had to carry my clubs ever again. Using a trolley doesn't appreciably add any more time to the round, neither does it take much more time to get ready before a round.

Plus I can carry more stuff without having to worry about adding too much weight to my bag.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Gave up the trolly a couple of years ago... buggy it nearly all the time now! Occasionally if ground really wet I might have to walk with trolly but its best avoided if at all possible