Back after a while !! Need advice

craig26

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all

Been missing for a couple of years, not literally just from the forum!! Anyway managed to lose 10 shots of the handicap and now bounce between 17-18 (currently 17.5) in that time.

But my main reason for posting is has anyone ever used American Golf for club fitting?

Following my request at Christmas of “Don’t buy me anything golf related” it seems golf vouchers don’t fall under that category!! So am now looking at replacing my driver so any advice good or bad about fitting at American Golf would be greatly appreciated

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes I've been, first guy said I needed 2 degrees upright, 2nd time different guy said I needed 2 degrees flat, I went to an official Callaway fitting centre after that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You will get a mixed bag of comments on this one, be prepared. Often it seems to come down to the staff in your local shop. If you don't go there much then there are plenty of Liverpool lads on here who will surely know which is the best one nearby.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did it once recently. I don't think it's very in depth, but the counter-point is that it's free obviously. My fitter was a young guy (early 20s I would guess) who said he plays off 5 handicap. That didn't fill me with great confidence, but he showed good knowledge of club technology and different brands. After watching me hit my 7 iron at a screen and looking at the numbers, he straight away recommended Callaway XR Steelheads, and after trying them and some others, they did turn out to be my favourites. He recommended 2 degrees upright but I decided to go and get a standard set second hand to save myself a few hundred quid. At my level I don't think my swing is consistent enough to take a fitting as gospel, I just liked the feel of the clubs which was all I really needed to get out of the fitting.

In summary then - I think it's fairly brief and not as in-depth as others but it's free so why not. It's an easy way to try and compare a bunch of new clubs if nothing else.

P.S. from what others have said, they won't have a vast array of different shaft options etc in store though.

Last edited:

craig26

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes thought as much, if wasn't for all the vouchers they wouldn't be my first choice, was actually thinking of going the Trafford centre AM in Manchester simply because they have a range rather than smashing a ball against a screen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes thought as much, if wasn't for all the vouchers they wouldn't be my first choice, was actually thinking of going the Trafford centre AM in Manchester simply because they have a range rather than smashing a ball against a screen.
You could always do the other fitting first, then take a free AG fitting and just see if it backs up what you decided from the first fitting. Presumably you'll actually buy the clubs in AG anyway if you have the vouchers for there. So no harm in getting both fittings.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The set up in the Aintree branch is quite good.
Fitters are very knolagable. There is an Aussie guy there he is very good seek him out.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a driver fitting yesterday at AG, went in expecting to get a Cobra F6/7 or a Callaway XR16, was recommended a Callaway Rogue. Luckily it's not available yet and so I could not be parted from my money.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't buy on the day of your fitting. Check online for prices from competitors and AG will price match the lowest, assuming it is the same and in stock etc

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the main purpose of a club fitting, is to give you confidence?

If this is the case then i suppose asking these questions and receiving a mixed bag of answers, just erodes confidence.

For that reason, regardless of AG having some top fitters available, i would not touch them with a barge pole personally. I simply dont have the cash to waste on ill fitting clubs. More importantly, i dont have the cash to waste on clubs that i will always question the specs.

Even a small shred of doubt can eat away and start to really niggle you.

Avoid.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
There's plenty of places that will fit you on a trackman and refund the price of the fitting if you buy a new club. I personally wouldn't go with AG. I'd get fitted there for free to try some clubs out for 'feel' then go and do it properly to verify your decision.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
i

Sorry to post a negative here Burbage I Had a ping fitting there a few years ago for the g25 irons when they came out. Surprisingly black dot regular. Went to ping hq who fitted me as maroon dot stiff 1/2 inch longer!