New Starter - In Urgent Need of Club Help

D

Deleted member 1147

They did but sadly they seem to have disappeared so most of the stuff on sale is pretty old whereas you can get pretty new Benross kit at a good price.
That’s a shame, they made some good wedges in particular

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
OP, it can be confusing. Lots of good advice on here already. You have been hitting the internet, a couple of suggestions if you haven't already seen them.

Golfbidder. Good for helping understand when models were released, and guiding on prices.
http://www.golfalot.com also good for releases and review viewpoints.

I think Benross is a good shout, as use good components but not so "fashionable" so can find good used and new older model bargains.(maybe HTX) Some non-beginners on here use their less game improvement options.
Also Wilson Staff, like say D200. Note Wilson split their branding between Wilson & Wilson Staff.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Benross are a good shout, I had a hybrid of theirs once that I picked up for £40 second hand - had a Kuro Kage shaft the same as a lot of the more expensive Taylor Made offerings!

DSCAlves

Visit site
After taking in all these great recommendations (thanks by the way!) I have decided I’m gonna go 1 of 2 ways.

First option: put together a second hand set which consist of: 5-SW Ping G15 irons, Adams Tight Lies 19.5* 5 wood, 2017 TaylorMade M2 HL 3 wood, odyssey white hot pro 2.0 putter and leave out a driver for now. This will come to around £350 once bag is included.

Second option: simply go for a Wilson Prostaff HDX set for £211 (discount)

I know the first option is more money but is it better value taking into consideration quality of clubs

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After taking in all these great recommendations (thanks by the way!) I have decided I’m gonna go 1 of 2 ways.

First option: put together a second hand set which consist of: 5-SW Ping G15 irons, Adams Tight Lies 19.5* 5 wood, 2017 TaylorMade M2 HL 3 wood, odyssey white hot pro 2.0 putter and leave out a driver for now. This will come to around £350 once bag is included.

I know the first option is more money but is it better value taking into consideration quality of clubs
Yes go for option one.
Most new players should not have a driver anyway until they can handle their Woods.
They get into to much trouble with driver a good 3 wood hits it just as far.
Good luck.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

I'd go option 1, and i'd probably be tempted to say don't bother with the 3 wood either. Get used to the irons and the 5 wood and really hone your craft!

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I can probably offer some advice here because I did the same thing about a year ago.

I was looking at similar package sets at around £2-300 mark. Went to a driving range near me that has a decent sized American golf branch attached with a reasonably sized second hand section. Asked to try some, and was given an old set of ping irons, a set of Wilson's (non package set), and 2x package set ones. Package set irons felt very weak like they could break on any swing. Ended up with the Wilson's £60 full set.

Bought a cheap driver (£60), 3 wood (40) and hybrid(28) second hand entirely because of the price. In hindsight could have got away with the 3 wood and hybrid and left the driver for at least 6 months.

Bought a cheap brand new putter (£50) and this was my big mistake. Don't cheap out on a putter. Make sure it's one you're comfortable with.

Added things over time when I started to learn what I wanted and what did/didn't suit me. Original set only cost about £200.

In summary, I'd go second hand over package set but I would go somewhere and try a few 1st.

At the end of the day, it's more important to get out playing than spending a fortune. Pointless dropping £5/600 on a set of you're going to use it twice. Get on the course and when you know you want to play a lot then spend a bit more if you need to/have the cash.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I think your wrong.
You might get lucky and the G15s suit you but why 3 different manufacturers?
Apologies if you've tried out many clubs and these are the ones you like best

My opinion still stands, try before you buy