Can I carry this with me during competition play?

Picto

Club Champion
Visit site
Following a recent set of lessons it transpired that my usual draw with a nasty habit of becoming a hook (especially with driver / 3 wood etc.) was mainly down to an issue with my grip.

In order to re-enforce the change I fashioned together a little training aid, consisting of a standard steel shaft together with a standard callaway grip with helpful grip markings. (This one).

I have been using this down the driving range to help keep my grip correct between every few shots. It's also doubles up as a useful alignment stick too.

Anyway, last night I went out for a few practice holes on my own and found it useful to make use of this training aid whilst waiting around on a couple of the tees where I caught up groups ahead of me.

So, my question is, can I take this "aid" with me if playing in a genuine game, as opposed to a bit of practice on my own? I suspect not under rule 14-3, but thought I would check...

Annoyingly, I would be happy for it to count towards my total of 14 clubs, but not having a head, I guess it would fall foul under the definition of a "club" under Appendix II...

Am I right that I would not be permitted to carry this "training aid" (and make use of it) during a proper round?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following a recent set of lessons it transpired that my usual draw with a nasty habit of becoming a hook (especially with driver / 3 wood etc.) was mainly down to an issue with my grip.

In order to re-enforce the change I fashioned together a little training aid, consisting of a standard steel shaft together with a standard callaway grip with helpful grip markings. (This one).

I have been using this down the driving range to help keep my grip correct between every few shots. It's also doubles up as a useful alignment stick too.

Anyway, last night I went out for a few practice holes on my own and found it useful to make use of this training aid whilst waiting around on a couple of the tees where I caught up groups ahead of me.

So, my question is, can I take this "aid" with me if playing in a genuine game, as opposed to a bit of practice on my own? I suspect not under rule 14-3, but thought I would check...

Annoyingly, I would be happy for it to count towards my total of 14 clubs, but not having a head, I guess it would fall foul under the definition of a "club" under Appendix II...

Am I right that I would not be permitted to carry this "training aid" (and make use of it) during a proper round?

Got you under 14-3 as you thought. You could have it in your bag so it's there before you start the round but the moment you use it during a stipulated round then you are in breech. Nothing to stop you gripping all your clubs with that grip mind you.

Last edited:

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Theres nothing to stop you carrying it (it doesn't count as one of your 14 as it's 'headless' so doesn't constitute a club) and using it on the 1st tee before you play but as soon as your rounds underway then you can't use it.