New golfer in need of club advice.(Benross)

Brucey

Visit site
Hey everyone,

I’m new to golf and the forum so go easy on me. After years of hitting balls down my local driving range and persistent persuasion from friends I’ve finally decided to take my golf a little more seriously and start having some lessons and get some clubs.

I recently went into American Golf for a custom fitting and to see what sort clubs were in my price range. I’m a smidge over 6’3’’ so was shaped up for a longer set and larger grip of the Benross Delta X.

So my question is…are Benross a good brand/make for beginners? I can’t find many reviews of them online. I’m just a little lost overall, do I buy this set new? Or do I jumble together some ‘better’ secondhand clubs cheaper?
Thanks

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Benross are great. I have a whole bag full. Same tech as the big boys but no players to sponsor, so cheaper overall. They have started to creep up in price over the last few years though.

However, I would caution an American Golf custom fit - they seem to be hugely hit and miss. I would talk to the pro you are having lessons with and see what they suggest. What clubs are you playing with now?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Benross are very good club makers. At one time they made a range aimed at all handicap levels but now mainly concentrate on beginners and mid handicap players.

If you go second hand you will still probably need to buy clubs with an upright lie and a longer shaft length.

Go to ping.com and do an online static fit to get a rough idea of what your fit is.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They are good clubs. Loads of options though. sub70 are £400 for a fitted set of irons and are meant to be great. Pxg 0211's are now £80 a fitted iron.

So dont feel like benross is the only option cheaper than the big manufacturers.

Did the fitter in american golf explain to you clearly why you need longer clubs? You are tall, but that doesnt mean you are most suited to irons longer than standard - depends on several variables.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Welcome to the forum. As has been said, Benross make good clubs. One of my friends tried their drivers against his own and the major brands, and he found no difference in performance between the Benross and the bigger name brands. I've used their driver and fairways in the past and still have them in my spare bag.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Hey everyone,

I’m new to golf and the forum so go easy on me. After years of hitting balls down my local driving range and persistent persuasion from friends I’ve finally decided to take my golf a little more seriously and start having some lessons and get some clubs.

I recently went into American Golf for a custom fitting and to see what sort clubs were in my price range. I’m a smidge over 6’3’’ so was shaped up for a longer set and larger grip of the Benross Delta X.

So my question is…are Benross a good brand/make for beginners? I can’t find many reviews of them online. I’m just a little lost overall, do I buy this set new? Or do I jumble together some ‘better’ secondhand clubs cheaper?
Thanks
As others have said, Benross make good clubs.
I've only been playing 18 months and after having, Callaway xhot, Ping G15s and Cobra SZ sets I've settled with Benross HTX compressors, love them and feel great for my slow swing, very forgiving too.
Ping G15s were good but these feel much better.
Other clubs I've hit that feel good and are cheaper than the main brands are the Wilson D7s & D9s.

Chris132

Visit site
I've been playing for 24 years (-10 years in the middle) I currently play off 12 and have 6-PW in Miura blades, they feel great and are very accurate for distance. But... They are unforgiving which is no surprise. I'm buying a set of Benross Delta X and really looking forward to it. I had a couple of their wedges a couple of years ago and was very impressed. I believe they make very good clubs.

phillarrow

Visit site
I've had Benross woods before and was using them when I got down to 11, before taking a break from the game. Great value clubs. I would highly recommend them to beginners or those looking for new clubs on a tighter budget. ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Benross are indeed very good clubs and great value for money.
With no players to sponsor and no huge marketing budget, end-user costs can be kept low
The quality is as good as 'main brands' but aimed at mid/lower end of market.
Only possible downside is that trade-in/resale value will be somewhat lower, should you decide to upgrade. But probably less 'loss' than main brands, so another 'plus'!
FWIW. American Golf (or International Liesure Group, the Group that owns AG) have owned Benross since 2019.

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I have a single benross hybrid gifted to me by a mate when I first took up golf properly at the start of lockdown.

Since then I've got the bug and had a whole new bag of brand new, bigger name, clubs but the trusty benross is still in there - when I have a bad swing day this is the only club that just goes well no matter what I do with it.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Well this thread just cost me 30 quid. Found the same hybrid in 17d, given how easy i find my current 23d to get airborne I reckon its worth a punt.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Nothing wrong with Benross clubs; the heads are cast in the same factories as some of the bigger boys, the shafts and grips are named brands, they'll serve you well; won the club 4 ball better ball knockout using them. They don't have to pay pros so the price is lower. The only issue is that there is a smaller market for them when you chop them in so they won't hold their value as well.

I did a driver fit through Golf Monthly at Silvermere when I was using the Benross driver. The fitter promised me some extra yards with the Titleist, and was true to his word; but he was honest enough to say that at £120 per yard for each of the two extra yards he found, he didn't think it was worth it!