New driver advice

Bainbo1973

Visit site
Hi All,
I would like some advice before purchasing a new driver please. I currently use a Wilson Staff D200, standard length with a regular flex UST elements chrome 44g shaft which I hit pretty well. I’ve just been to my local American Golf to try the new Cobra F9 driver and, after seeing me hit some shots, he set me up with the Fujikura Atmos Blue 70g shaft, standard length, regular flex. He told me that the shaft I currently use is far too light for my swing speed (which was circa 89mph) but what I can’t understand is, if I hit my current driver well but wasn’t really overwhelmed with how I was hitting the Cobra F9 how can his advice be correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 3432

Hi All,
I would like some advice before purchasing a new driver please. I currently use a Wilson Staff D200, standard length with a regular flex UST elements chrome 44g shaft which I hit pretty well. I’ve just been to my local American Golf to try the new Cobra F9 driver and, after seeing me hit some shots, he set me up with the Fujikura Atmos Blue 70g shaft, standard length, regular flex. He told me that the shaft I currently use is far too light for my swing speed (which was circa 89mph) but what I can’t understand is, if I hit my current driver well but wasn’t really overwhelmed with how I was hitting the Cobra F9 how can his advice be correct?

Sounds like he is trying it on in the hope of making a sale.

Shaft weight is just one of the variables in club fitting.

Go to a proper fitter who will explain properly what he is doing and why during the fitting process.

A good fitter will also tell you if what you are currently using is worth keeping.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems strange comment.

Your swing speed isn't at a level that additional weight might bring stability,nor transitional assistance. It's pretty normal (as a speed) and many standard driver shafts are in the 50-55g range because they support clubhead speed...

Definitely a case of second opinion required; might be right for you but the argument isn't sound.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi All,

I might be wrong, but I think that is the standard shaft for the f9. Maybe he was trying to find a spurious reason for giving you it to try and impress you? Or maybe he didn't have a lighter one to hand...

Bainbo1973

Visit site
I might be wrong, but I think that is the standard shaft for the f9. Maybe he was trying to find a spurious reason for giving you it to try and impress you? Or maybe he didn't have a lighter one to hand...
He did have the lighter UST Helium shaft there but didn’t even put that one on because he said my swing speed was not for a lightweight shaft.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did he tell you why he reccomend the new shaft apart from saying your current is to light. I would take the advice already given, go to a fitter.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The most important factor is the results of the shots not shaft weight, flex etc. If you are hitting the lighter shaft better then I would ignore his advice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would never take someone's word over my own experience. If he tells you something but the results don't bear it out then he's wrong isn't he? As others have said, just saying anything to make the sale. If he told you you'd hit it 20 yards further and you didn't, you wouldn't take his word for it then would you?

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
personally i wouldn't believe a word of it, had experience of AG telly porkies in the past.... more interested in selling a club than getting whats right for you.

GolfingPastor

Visit site
The only decent AG fitting I have experienced was in the Bristol store that has a driving range and launch monitor set up.
Hard to get fobbed off when you can see the results alongside what feels/looks right