Back after a decade out!

Visit site
Hello everyone! Thought I would join a golf forum to gain some insight and tips and share my progress. Played a lot from 12-18 and got down to a 6 handicap but gave it all up for uni and boozing and haven't got back into it since. Plus I got the putting and chipping yips and generally wasn't enjoying playing. Few rounds here and there over the last couple of years but that's it. All that is about to change this week anyway, joining the local club and I'm pretty excited to get playing again.

Going to have an old man moment now (I'm only 27) but the game seems to have moved on a lot! Barely recognise and of the new gear that's out now; adjustable weights in clubs (are these legal?), GPS, teenagers with electric trolleys, no spider studs in golf shoes, golf trainers seem more popular than shoes etc. Anyway I got some new shoes but I'll be sticking with what I have for now with the exception of a putter and possibly a new wedge and 3 wood. Current gear is; Titleist 905T 9.5deg Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, Mizuno MP30 irons (extended 2"), Mizuno Faldo Gap Wedge, Vokey rusty sand wedge and a 2-ball blade putter.

So the immediate things is to get a few rounds under my belt, practice will place more emphasis on short game (from 50 yards in) and course management (In my experience people can massively improve their game if they focus on these two), and to get a handicap sorted (I'm hoping this will be in the teens :mad: but we'll see). In the medium to longer term I want to be playing off single figures again. Will have a better idea of a time scale for that in a couple of weeks.

Any input (especially on what is useful out of all this space age equipment kicking about these days) welcome,

Cheers

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Welcome back to the game

It’s worse than you think:

Custom club fittings for mid-high handicappers is a standard requirement now
Shorts are compulsory
Sexless tees are coming
6 hour rounds are expected
Putters must be designed by George Lucas
Poker chip ball markers cannot be moved once placed on the green
Hybrids are the devils new pitch fork
The only black glove you can wear is a rain glove
Filthy shoes on the 1st tee says your manky
Everyone can it hit 300yards now

& for gawds sake, make sure you stand in the right place when an FC is teeing off!

Enjoy :D

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Welcome back to the game

Shorts are compulsory
Sexless tees are coming

& for gawds sake, make sure you stand in the right place when an FC is teeing off!

<Like button>:putt:

Visit site
Welcome back to the game

Shorts are compulsory
Sexless tees are coming

FC= Fellow competitor?

I have noticed, on the odd round that I have had, there is a lot of 'all the gear, no idea types' kicking about, same in a lot of sports industries tbf; consumerism is rampant. Incredible though really as someone new could kit themselves out with some good stuff from ebay for less than £200.

Yeh, hate these space age putters - And these square drivers as well! Baffled! Opinion may change over time, just shocked for the time being though!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
welcome to the forum.

where did you play before?

i only started playing in 2006 and even then kids had electric trolleys, there were people with GPS and square drivers. I'm not sure golf has changed that much in the 10 years, there were even adjustable drivers about when i started i think.

the street shoes i will give you though, but square drivers came and went.... the only place you are likely to see those would be the SH bin in a pro shop.:)

just get out, play some comps and I'm sure you will be back to SF in no time

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome back to the game

Shorts are compulsory
Sexless tees are coming

Oh and don't forget, the hole is too small and is encouraging the yips.

Welcome back to the game, and good luck getting your game back!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Welcome back! Good luck with sticking with your old gear. I had that plan 18 months ago yet not one of my original clubs remains!

Single figures will come, once you have already been there I think it is reasonably easy to come back to it, especially at 27.

Visit site
welcome to the forum.

where did you play before?

i only started playing in 2006 and even then kids had electric trolleys, there were people with GPS and square drivers. I'm not sure golf has changed that much in the 10 years, there were even adjustable drivers about when i started i think.

the street shoes i will give you though, but square drivers came and went.... the only place you are likely to see those would be the SH bin in a pro shop.:)

just get out, play some comps and I'm sure you will be back to SF in no time

Cheers - Blundells Hill GC was my regular knock, just outside Liverpool. I see you play in the fastest town in Scotland :D I used to live in Aberdeen so played a few courses around there!

Hardly ever saw a kid with a trolley tbh. I believe GPS existed but I don;t remember it being common. or considered essential. The course I'm joining has buggies with a touchscreen/GPS, heard some lads talking about playing without the buggy to svae some money and someone popped up and said how you going to know your distances etc without the touchscreen, as if it was worthless trying to play without it! I think it's funny! Give it a years time I'll be sucked in by all the gizmos and gadgets :eek: haha

I hope so! If those yips have cleared up I think ill have a good chance!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hardly ever saw a kid with a trolley tbh. I believe GPS existed but I don;t remember it being common. or considered essential. The course I'm joining has buggies with a touchscreen/GPS, heard some lads talking about playing without the buggy to svae some money and someone popped up and said how you going to know your distances etc without the touchscreen, as if it was worthless trying to play without it! I think it's funny! Give it a years time I'll be sucked in by all the gizmos and gadgets :eek: haha

When I came back to golf after a similar break I was also bemused by GPS. For the first year I refused to have anything to do with them - said it was "tantamount to cheating". Now I have GPS and a rangefinder, wouldn't be without them, and am regularly reminded of my attitude during that year!

Don't fight it - just get one! :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers - Blundells Hill GC was my regular knock, just outside Liverpool. I see you play in the fastest town in Scotland :D I used to live in Aberdeen so played a few courses around there!

I hope so! If those yips have cleared up I think ill have a good chance!

first few games were in Hertfordshire and was surprised how many kids had great big tour bags on electric trolleys, lazy little buggers;)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
No offence mate, but being off 19, are you really particular about what balls you use?

Being the sensitive sort..... absolutely am. Just because I play of 19 doesn't mean I don't have a sense of touch. or feel...... some balls play like stones, others don't. The Wilson for me is a good value ball at the price break it sells at, it's comparable with Bridgestone rxs333/ Srixon Z star/ Titleist Pro-V/ Vice Tour/ Callaway Chromesoft, and sells at a much cheaper price.

How does 19 dictate how particular I should be in what balls I play? or perhaps what brand clubs I use, or clothes I wear even?

Visit site
Being the sensitive sort..... absolutely am. Just because I play of 19 doesn't mean I don't have a sense of touch. or feel...... some balls play like stones, others don't. The Wilson for me is a good value ball at the price break it sells at, it's comparable with Bridgestone rxs333/ Srixon Z star/ Titleist Pro-V/ Vice Tour/ Callaway Chromesoft, and sells at a much cheaper price.

How does 19 dictate how particular I should be in what balls I play? or perhaps what brand clubs I use, or clothes I wear even?

Fair enough if value is the reason, just checked and saw you can get 12 for £14-20. Obviously though from a performance point of view it's only really the pros who can appreciate the variety of 'feel' between balls. I don't think I've ever met an eveyday golfer who exclusively uses one ball.

I remember just breaking balls down into distance (hard) and then you had a range of soft (NXT Tour, Pro V etc). I'd use anything really in the winter and save the better balls for the summer, weren't fussed over brand though!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Obviously though from a performance point of view it's only really the pros who can appreciate the variety of 'feel' between balls.

I disagree with this. I agree that not everyone feels it, some people can be pretty ham fisted holding golf clubs, but there can be a big difference in feel between balls, especially off the irons and putter, and I feel that I can feel the difference between some of them.

I don't think I've ever met an eveyday golfer who exclusively uses one ball.

I don't exclusively use these balls, they just happen to be the ball I put in my signature last time I edited it..... and are one of my preferences. I'll use a variety of balls, currently switching between Wilson, Vice and Taylormade Project A. It just depends on what I've bought or have to hand

Visit site
I disagree with this. I agree that not everyone feels it, some people can be pretty ham fisted holding golf clubs, but there can be a big difference in feel between balls, especially off the irons and putter, and I feel that I can feel the difference between some of them.

OK this convo could grow arms and legs. It just appeared you were particular about that ball, and only used that ball, over all other balls (including top of the range Pro Vs etc) for performance reason. You clarified that not the case :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yup I started back about three years ago and the change in gear was immense. When I golfed years ago only posh people were custom fitted for clubs. Now it is the norm. Welcome back and enjoy.

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I came back to golf after a similar break I was also bemused by GPS. For the first year I refused to have anything to do with them - said it was "tantamount to cheating". Now I have GPS and a rangefinder, wouldn't be without them, and am regularly reminded of my attitude during that year!

Don't fight it - just get one! :D

Re: The Rangefinder - You needed a little encouragement :eek:ne: