Away Ryder Cup

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone done a US Ryder cup trip?

I have a milestone birthday around the time of the Ryder Cup next year so I'm toying with the idea of going over for a few days/week, but I've no idea how easy/difficult it will be to get tickets, or see when they are released for sale.

The prices i've seen for 'organised' trips seem very expensive for what is just Tickets and Accommodation, and the hotels are about an hour from Bethpage.

Just looking for any advice from anyone that has been previously.

Thanks

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I have, day 3 of Medinah 2012 whilst on Honeymoon - tickets bought on a re-sale site at a reasonable price, US fans were generally friendly but as always there were some morons there.

Overall it was a great day and I'd say go for it, cost dependent.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have, day 3 of Medinah 2012 whilst on Honeymoon - tickets bought on a re-sale site at a reasonable price, US fans were generally friendly but as always there were some morons there.

Overall it was a great day and I'd say go for it, cost dependent.
Wow! what a day to go... I'm not too bothered about the US fans, although NY sports fans do have a bit of a reputation I'm lead to believe.

I wouldn't want to go without securing tickets first, just not sure how easy that's going to be.

Thanks

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone done a US Ryder cup trip?

I have a milestone birthday around the time of the Ryder Cup next year so I'm toying with the idea of going over for a few days/week, but I've no idea how easy/difficult it will be to get tickets, or see when they are released for sale.

The prices i've seen for 'organised' trips seem very expensive for what is just Tickets and Accommodation, and the hotels are about an hour from Bethpage.

Just looking for any advice from anyone that has been previously.

Thanks
Prepare to rent a car.
Outside of downtown, America has next to NO public transportation, unfortunately.

Also, if you get to the mainland much, practice driving there.
You cars seem to have the steering wheel on the wrong side--like rural post delivery trucks!
It's not that you don't know how to do it properly.
The Jaguars and Bentleys that you sell to us are made just fine....if one could afford them.

Riding in cabs in both London and Bermuda, I was certain I was going to die in a head-on collision.
I didn't, though.
[Tokyo is the same to the chagrin of visiting Koreans and Chinese.]

Anyway, if you come, enjoy the golf.
Even though this is America, you probably won't get shot.
In all these years, I've only been shot once!

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Prepare to rent a car.
Outside of downtown, America has next to NO public transportation, unfortunately.

Also, if you get to the mainland much, practice driving there.
You cars seem to have the steering wheel on the wrong side--like rural post delivery trucks!
It's not that you don't know how to do it properly.
The Jaguars and Bentleys that you sell to us are made just fine....if one could afford them.

Riding in cabs in both London and Bermuda, I was certain I was going to die in a head-on collision.
I didn't, though.
[Tokyo is the same to the chagrin of visiting Koreans and Chinese.]

Anyway, if you come, enjoy the golf.
Even though this is America, you probably won't get shot.
In all these years, I've only been shot once!

It wouldn't be my first time in the US or driving over there, I was in Miami earlier this year and didn't manage to crash or get shot :)

Than plan would be during the tournament to stay as close to Bethpage as possible £/$ dependent, but maybe spend a day or two either side 'downtown' as i haven't been to NY for about 35 years and i was but a nipper.

Thanks

Burnsey

Visit site
I've a friend lives a couple of miles away, so accommodation sorted and he knows some of the staff so says access guaranteed - lucky me!

He came over a couple of months ago and brought us Ryder Cup merchandise already - towel, caps and balls, but lost those 🤣

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
It wouldn't be my first time in the US or driving over there, I was in Miami earlier this year and didn't manage to crash or get shot :)

Than plan would be during the tournament to stay as close to Bethpage as possible £/$ dependent, but maybe spend a day or two either side 'downtown' as i haven't been to NY for about 35 years and i was but a nipper.

Thanks
Whatever happens, have fun.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I was a Marshall at Medinah in 2012, 5 days at the course mainly working on 16th hole, best thing I’ve ever done outside of family.

Cost via package tours was too expensive.

Went on the PGA site to enter ballot for tickets, also saw on the site they were looking for volunteer Marshalls, so applied for both.

Got an email informing me I was unlucky in the ballot, 2 days later got the email inviting me to be a marshall, being a marshall cost me $75.00 for that I got 5 day access, 2 sets of “Uniform” trousers, Polo, Cap, plus a waterproof, waterbottle and bag and ticket for the practise day.

I then had the luxury of finding my own flights and accomm which was really good as I could suit myself and save sn awful lot.

Park and ride to the course was very well organised so hiring a vehicle was ideal, plus I could look a bit further for accomm deals, a lot of hotels had daily “free” transport to the course, but their prices were slightly higher.

Not sure about availability of tickets near the venue as I never looked as not needing them.

Finally, if you are going to do a Ryder Cup, go to the states.

I was also at Gleneagles, but winning away from home is something else.