Augusta-Too Hard?

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
Am I the only person that thinks the course this year wasn't a test of who was the best golfer but a test of who could handle the conditions best? Call me a cynic but Ican't see Zach Johnson going on a run of victories from this point. Take nothing away from the guy, he tamed the course the best over the four days but I feel all it would have taken was a rain shower overnight or so and it'd have all been differnet. I was very proud of the British and Irish gus though. They did brilliantly, especially Harringotn, Casey and most of all Justin Rose. Surely there'll be a major won by one of the brits this year!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, when they decided to lengthen the course and make it tighter, they should have at least made the greens more receptive. They had no chance of holding the ball on the green with a 3/4 iron from 200+ yards.

Monty for the Open !

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know I quite enjoyed seeing the players really having to scramble and dig deep. People are always complaining that it's too easy and that courses need to toughen up but when they do people reckon it's too diffficult!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Was it just me or did we see a lot of bad golf any way regardless of the course they were playing? snap hooked drives, missing greens on completely the wrong side, mis-hit irons. Guess all of this is caused by the pressure of playing such a tough golf course.

NEWQUAYTR7

Hacker
Visit site
What about the millions of $$$$ they are earning, just like the pro footballers, if the whining & poor excuses start to come out maybe they should pack it in, maybe they should have layed up on a couple of the nastier greens & then played to hold, at the end of the day they are the ones getting the big bucks, i for one moan like f*** when i miss a simple shot, putt, etc but i am not getting mega bucks for playing a game i enjoy......rant over

Tommy

Visit site
I too agree with Paul09.
Not only are they supposedly Professionals, but they have the perfect conditions.
Slight wind, nice and dry, the fairways were quite sandy.

They want to try playing some of the public courses.

Admittadly the greens were very difficult but that does not justify shooting in the 80's.

B

birdieman

Not too hard, just different from the usual Masters because of dry conditions they get every 10 years or so. It seemed more like a US Open than a Masters. It was still excellent last round competition, always exciting. Johnson showed some good course management by playing par 5's as 5's not 4's and being patient. Great psychological test for those pampered pro's.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought that the course was actually lengthened a few years ago - its just because the greens are so rock hard its impossible to get anything to stop on them. Just one tap and balls were going further than my seven iron.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played it yesterday. It's looking tremendous. They've changed the character of the 3rd and turned it into a bit of a risk and reward hole. It's either an iron from the tee and lay up or try and carry Jockies burn with a driver. It will be interesting to see what option they go for. They've also cut down a lot of trees. Especially aroung the 6th (Hogans Alley) to try and give the course a more linksy feel to it.

I got my season ticket yesterday. (quite excited)