Attending the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth

sam19113

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting my Dad tickets to the PGA at Wentworth in May for Christmas but I didn't know whether to go for two days or just one.

I've never gone to an actual tournament before so I have no experience knowing what would be better, hoping some of you can give me some advice!

Is one day enough or do you think it's better for two? It'd be the Saturday and Sunday if we went for two and just the Saturday if it was for one.

Thanks in advance.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you only have one day then go for the Sunday, just watching someone close out a tournament is something to remember.

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
Went Sunday last year and it was utterly mental.

Walking up the 18th was crazy and we ended up going home instead of barging through 15 deep at the ropes. Really enjoyed the pro-am though and will definitely be going to that again next year.

Don't get me wrong though Sunday was a great day and we saw plenty of golf but be prepared to be barged out of the way on the greens.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd agree with others and go for one day and watch the rest on the tv. I think you have to be lucky to be following the actual winner. Whereas, watching it unfold on the box...............

Wentworth is a victim of its own success, as there are so many spectators nowadays. I've been going since Volvo were the sponsors and year on year there are more people enjoying a great spectator event.

Last year for the first time I went to the Pro-am day, which was great and more comfortable with less crowds and being able to get closer to the players.

Enjoy, whichever way you choose! :thup:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If going on the Sunday then fork out for some grandstand tickets for the 18th
Spend the morning out on the course following whoever you like, then around lunchtime start walking the course up to the 18th and take your seats.

Then watch the players come home in comfort and with the big screens you can follow what else is happening on the course.

Having gone on the Sunday with 70 + year old father in law and suffered the cramming on the last group, it takes a lot off the enjoyment of the day.

We now go on the Wednesday at the pro am
Very relaxed and can recommend

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me and my old man are planning on going but were thinking about Thursday or Friday. What are those days like in terms of crowds etc?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Me and my old man are planning on going but were thinking about Thursday or Friday. What are those days like in terms of crowds etc?

You'll have no problems either day, it's Sunday that's rammed .
If you have a BMW you can park on site otherwise there is a park n ride system in operation

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends what you want. If you want to see players hit the ball close up, then pro-am day or Thursday is great. If you want to experience the drama of the finish, then Sunday. Personally I think you see the drama unfold better on TV and I just want to see the big guys hit the ball so I usually go to the pro-am or Thursday. A few years back I followed Stenson around on Thursday and it was great. Had plenty of chances to see him propel his ball miles down the fairway with his 3 wood and miles sideways with his driver.

If you have or can borrow a BMW that makes parking there much easier and avoids having to take a park and ride.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Prefer the pro am day to get a better view but as it's a special occasion I'd get grandstand tickets for the 18th and let him enjoy the final afternoon action in comfort and no hassle seeing or getting barged along in the throng

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went all days this year. Thursday was quiet, and was good to get close to some players (we followed Sergio's group until he pulled out & Ian Poulter's group). Saturday was mad, lots of fighting for position, not seeing as many shots as we would have liked.

On the Sunday, we payed an extra £20 each to get seated in the 18th Gallery for the day. It was really nice, you could see the groups coming up, usually playing their 2nd shots (18th is a par 5) so you could see some go for it in two, some lay up, some dunk their 2nd into the stream (Luke Donald did, he was in contention, the shot looked so good until the last 20 yards, the crowd reaction was amazing) & some good putts (Lowry sunk a 40ft putt to get 2nd place on his own, that crowd reaction was great, as was Rory's putt even though there were a few groups left everyone knew he would win!).

If you can afford the extra £20 each, the gallery on the Sunday is amazing. I imagine it's pretty good on the Saturday too.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went all days this year. Thursday was quiet, and was good to get close to some players (we followed Sergio's group until he pulled out & Ian Poulter's group). Saturday was mad, lots of fighting for position, not seeing as many shots as we would have liked.

On the Sunday, we payed an extra £20 each to get seated in the 18th Gallery for the day. It was really nice, you could see the groups coming up, usually playing their 2nd shots (18th is a par 5) so you could see some go for it in two, some lay up, some dunk their 2nd into the stream (Luke Donald did, he was in contention, the shot looked so good until the last 20 yards, the crowd reaction was amazing) & some good putts (Lowry sunk a 40ft putt to get 2nd place on his own, that crowd reaction was great, as was Rory's putt even though there were a few groups left everyone knew he would win!).

If you can afford the extra £20 each, the gallery on the Sunday is amazing. I imagine it's pretty good on the Saturday too.

I've done all days over the years and swore i would never go and watch the weekend again after last year, you see hadly any shots at all and spent most of the time jostling for position a few holes ahead.

The Thurs/Friday pairing means you can se the marquee pairings fairly easily as they put 9 of the top players out in order at 8am (i think) and then another 9 at 1pm. the opposite day they swap round.

watch the Weekend at home, if you get grandstand tickets on sunday i cant help but think you end up watching most of it on the big screen anyway waiting for the final groups to come in many hours later?

just my opinion :D

G

guest100718

The Pro AM is good and worth doing at least once as its relaxed and you can take s photos and get autographs etc, altough a lotof the Celebs are not really that good at golf...its a bit like watching your sunday medal.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
watch the Weekend at home, if you get grandstand tickets on sunday i cant help but think you end up watching most of it on the big screen anyway waiting for the final groups to come in many hours later?

just my opinion :D

You do end up watching whats happening around the course on the screen, but the screen also tells you who's coming up the 18th next, so you know who's on their way.

At least on the grandstand you can see almost a full hole from each player!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have tickets booked for Saturday and Sunday next year. Thinking I should add grandstand tickets for Sunday now......

Edit: Okay, maybe not. Sold out :/ Should have ordered at the time!

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have tickets booked for Saturday and Sunday next year. Thinking I should add grandstand tickets for Sunday now......

Edit: Okay, maybe not. Sold out :/ Should have ordered at the time!

When we went, I asked about Sunday grandstand tickets at the Customer Service desk on the Thursday morning. They said they'd call me if any were available, and hey presto, Sunday morning on route, I get a call with 2 spare ones.

So it could be worth calling / going early to see if they have some spare!

sam19113

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice!

Gone for two Saturday tickets and going to watch the Sunday on the TV at home. It seems like the Thursday would be the best day to go but unfortunately uni is in the way of me doing that this year.

Looking forward to it though, first time attending a tournament!

G

guest100718

Thanks for all your advice!

Gone for two Saturday tickets and going to watch the Sunday on the TV at home. It seems like the Thursday would be the best day to go but unfortunately uni is in the way of me doing that this year.

Looking forward to it though, first time attending a tournament!

Be sure to spend some time watching them at the range.