Assisted Dying

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So what happens if they're not physically able?

There are options to press buttons and I understand, in extreme cases, there is some suggestion that eye movement can be used.

Bottom line, it’s assisted suicide. So if the patient can’t administer it can’t happen.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm convinced there's already an assisted dying policy in place.
I've watched 4 family members slip away peacefully in hospitals over the years, all were in an induced comas.
If anything happened to me, I wouldnt want resussitated .

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm convinced there's already an assisted dying policy in place.
I've watched 4 family members slip away peacefully in hospitals over the years, all were in an induced comas.
If anything happened to me, I wouldnt want resussitated .
That (dying inevitably, but 'peacefully') is not what I'd consider 'assisted dying'. To there's a difference between making the transition as peaceful as possible and 'hurrying' the transition.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I remain not having a settled opinion on this.

If I reflect on my mother’s final 15months, 4 months in when she was still pretty much fully aware of her situation, in her deep despair she might well have said Yes if the option was offered, and may have asked us to consent if she couldn’t. That she then had a further 6 months of reasonable but ever decreasing awareness, during which time she seemed to reach a form of acceptance and we with her wider family and friends had some nice and moving times together…it is possible that none of that would have happened.

And in her final months I was able to do for my mum just what my dad would have wished of their eldest son…I cared and loved her every day that I could - how much of that time she was aware of me I do not know, but I do know that very often when I visited in the later months, and when we looked through old family photos, her eyes would show a little bit of sparkle and a smile would break across her face. That she may well no longer have appreciated and understood quite what was happening to her, or indeed did not quite know who I was and who was in the photos, but I did not see the despair of the earlier months…and she left us peacefully.

And so on my limited personal experience as well as some wider concerns around a door such as this when opened slightly will only through time get opened wider - my instinct is No to what is proposed, but as I say, I do not have a settled view.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
That (dying inevitably, but 'peacefully') is not what I'd consider 'assisted dying'. To there's a difference between making the transition as peaceful as possible and 'hurrying' the transition.

When my mum had a massive stroke a couple of years ago, it became clear very quickly that there was nothing that could be done and that she would pass away in the next couple of days.

What I was not prepared for was the withdrawal of all water and food resulting in Mum dying 3 days later from organ failure bought on by dehydration.

I was with her when she passed, she was sedated and had no idea what was happening. But for me it was a traumatic experience, call me selfish, but in my opinion it would have been better for everyone, when it was clear that there was no hope, if she had been given an injection and allowed to slip away.

Society would have given a pet dog a quick humane end, but not humans

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

And then so it should remain the choice of the individual, but not of others.

My cousin could have chosen to not continue with interventions over a year ago at a point when things were very painful and very dark - and if she had not been able to make a decision at that point but others had…but she chose to continue and the interventions since received have given her many valuable months with us that were not expected and that have enriched her life as it closes and that of all around her as we support her.

Agree absolutely, H, but you offer your view as if the goalposts have been moved.
They are where they've always been. It is not "the choice of others"
No one has suggested it is. It is someone of sound mind , with safeguards to ensure the decision is genuine, and who is verified as terminally ill, being allowed to ask for medical assistance to die a peaceful painfree death.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Why , oh, why is there an objection to that.?

Why then, does the old chestnut of a scenario -where a relative rocks up to a Dr with a piece of paper saying," Here, my mother/father/whoever has signed this-take my word for it, and do the honours , will you?" keep being put forward as a counter argument against assisted dying?

Nobody is advocating anything remotely like that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agree absolutely, H, but you offer your view as if the goalposts have been moved.
They are where they've always been. It is not "the choice of others"
No one has suggested it is. It is someone of sound mind , with safeguards to ensure the decision is genuine, and who is verified as terminally ill, being allowed to ask for medical assistance to die a peaceful painfree death.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Why , oh, why is there an objection to that.?

Why then, does the old chestnut of a scenario -where a relative rocks up to a Dr with a piece of paper saying," Here, my mother/father/whoever has signed this-take my word for it, and do the honours , will you?" keep being put forward as a counter argument against assisted dying?

Nobody is advocating anything remotely like that.
Indeed, and why my view is not settled. I have not heard what the Archbishop of C has said on the matter, however I suspect my thinking might not be that far from his as I find my views generally align pretty well with his. I shall go have a listen.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I went to see a PP wife in hospital. She had a stroke, it was a big one. She was in a coma for 6 months and passed away peacefully without ever waking again and saying goodbye. My PP was grieving for 6 months. He was suffering more than her. The problem with strokes is they are all so different. Andrew Marr is back on telly hounding politicians with an excellent state of recovery. Other stroke victims are the wrong side of the pearly gates. There in lies the problem and solution of this particular stroke scenario. It is not one shoe fits all.
Hospitals, Drs, consultants, surgeons etc already make decisions as to whether a patient could or should die. Some Patients in hospitals today already have DNR ( Do not resuscitate) or the equivalent at the side of there records. Why? Because if they were to “ recover” they would have no quality of life. The end result is the same. For me it is the same with assisted dying. Why are we prolonging suffering, and I do not just mean the individual involved but family as well.

Oh ah, nice to have a discussion without falling out ?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The poor man was heartbroken by it understandably so. His direct question to the archbishop was 'who are you to say my wife cannot choose to pass away peacefully and end her suffering at a time and place of her choosing?'. The guy could not give him a straight answer.

Puts me in mind of a meme I saw Ricky Gervais share on Facebook. It went something along the lines of:

Your religion says you can’t do something - OK

Your religion says I can’t do something - Sod you

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Puts me in mind of a meme I saw Ricky Gervais share on Facebook. It went something along the lines of:

He’s spot on.
Religion should be kept out of it imo.
It’s about a choice.
If your religious then don’t do it. That’s your choice.
But don’t stop anyone else having the choice.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree that religious leaders should keep their noses out of this.
Religion is always based on the supernatural.
While you are free to believe this, there are others who understand reality.

How many people have ever existed before ourselves?
One answer given is close to 100 billion.
That represents an unimaginable amount of suffering leading up to death and just about all of them never had the drugs we have today.

Number of people just like us who died in religious wars inspired by clerics and holy books?
Nobody knows for sure but we can be certain it runs into countless millions.
Which means that no religion can ever claim to stand on the moral high ground.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Sometimes, a few words says it all. Like above.
We have all waffled on here, using many sentences to put forward our arguments about assisted dying...for and against. The opponents to it haven't glaringly pushed their religion as being the reason they are against (but it seemed likely).

But the most telling summing up of our "debate" is there above.
And as true a statement as I have seen on this forum.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've put a 'Like against Don Barzinis post quoting Ricky Gervais--(y)
BUT, having had words with St. Peter about the accommodation on offer (on at least 5 occasions--and no, I'm not boasting!-it's in my records!),SWMBO and I are both agreed that an injection/ syringe full of air or even a razor blade across the wrist, carotid artery--these 2 would be messy,-----would be just the job!!
I would have no hesitation whatsoever! Take that any way you want:love:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've put a 'Like against Don Barzinis post quoting Ricky Gervais--(y)
BUT, having had words with St. Peter about the accommodation on offer (on at least 5 occasions--and no, I'm not boasting!-it's in my records!),SWMBO and I are both agreed that an injection/ syringe full of air or even a razor blade across the wrist, carotid artery--these 2 would be messy,-----would be just the job!!
I would have no hesitation whatsoever! Take that any way you want:love:
There's a few on here that would gladly assist you Jimbo ?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree that religious leaders should keep their noses out of this.
Religion is always based on the supernatural.
While you are free to believe this, there are others who understand reality.

How many people have ever existed before ourselves?
One answer given is close to 100 billion.
That represents an unimaginable amount of suffering leading up to death and just about all of them never had the drugs we have today.

Number of people just like us who died in religious wars inspired by clerics and holy books?
Nobody knows for sure but we can be certain it runs into countless millions.
Which means that no religion can ever claim to stand on the moral high ground.
Who do you think that most people go to when they are in need of spiritual support…now let me think…ah yes.

Whether some on here and many out there like it or not, many people seek the support and advice of their own religious leader, if they have one, when the very difficult sort of decision we are talking about has to be made. The view of the religious leaders is therefore still very important - IMO - as they give a different perspective that can be helpful to some - perhaps many.

And btw I get pretty sick of hearing and reading all religion, denominations and traditions being damned as one as a result of the warped views and actions of some - often a very long time ago - whilst the huge amount of positive, beneficial and caring work that is done by the active religious community in the present day is ignored as if it was irrelevant.

Anyway…just had to get that off my chest…?

Last edited: