Any Software Devs out there?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't get too disheartened, there are definitely opportunities out there if you plug away at it but time is indeed the enemy. If you focus on a specific area of industry it could help. Something else to think about is that software development companies need IT support too. Have a look around at some specific companies or industries that interest you and see if they're looking for people, you might find more of a sideways approach into development that way.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's a good point yeah. My good lady is creating her own botox/fillers business now that she's qualified so I'm doing her website for her. Would be good practice again to get the mindset shifted. Most companies are looking for VMWare trained IT folk these days. There's just that much we're expected to do now. It's just grown so much in the last 8 years i've been in the job.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't bother. All the work is now going to India. You would be better off training to be a bus driver.

V

vkurup

While i was a out and out code monkey for a long time, i realised I could no longer pull an all nighter on a code-beer-code - pizza- code <repeat>, so uped sticks and moved into management/IT consulting instead. I did my time on offshore development (both delivery & managing). I can safely say that Offshore has its place and most reasons for a 'failed' offshore has little to do with the skills of the offshore teams in India, Philippines, South Africa etc.

Anyways, while a lot of work goes offshore, there is a fair amount of demand for Java/J2 or new fangled phyton, Ruby et al. It is never too late to start in this line esp if you have some background/understanding in programming, databases etc. There are areas which are unlikely to go offshore e.g. high frequency IT like Banking or commodity Trading, Defense etc. There are also plenty of work in mobile, social etc in the digital space

My top tip (for what it is worth), get acquainted in 'Agile' based project delivery. Its the best thing since snake oil and if you are good at it, you can be the next snake charmer or Scrum master. I have seen advts of 100K for experienced Scrum masters, so there is money to be made..