FreeView

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our TV, which is about four and a half years old now, has FreeView built into it, but I've realised there are a batch of channels missing from it, and also some of the channels that are on it have stopped working. Digital tuning on the TV does absolutely nothing so I can't get these channels back. And the missing ones are just nowhere to be found at all.

I'm thinking I need to buy a standalone FreeView box and plug that in instead. Would that do the job? Perhaps the FreeView that's built into the telly is just outdated and a new FV box would do the job? Or would I still be facing the same issues do you think?

I thought about getting a Kodi box but obviously they're a bit dodgy and the missus reckons they're being cracked down upon so I don't think we'll go down that route.

Any other recommendations? (Not Sky/Virgin etc as they're not worth the extra cash for us.)

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
What's missing? as for boxes You won't go wrong with humax . Nothing illegal about kodi, its an open source media centre , i have an old pc running both plex and kodi.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Get a new smart Tv. Comes with Netflix, amazon.
You can stream stuff from your phone into your tv. It’ll have BBC player on it. NOWTV to watch golf on when it’s on and you can pay for the week.

Kodi isn’t illegal but the add ons that let you stream unreleased tv and films is dodgy.
Thanks to the EU court it’s illegal to stream stuff you’d usually pay for.
I’ve not heard of anybody in the UK getting slapped for it though. Only those selling the boxes. You’d have to google that.

I use Kodi to stream films or TV. I’ve not been arrested - yet.
Watching Manifest at the minute from the states. Newest episode should be uploaded by the time I finish work tomorrow morning!
Don’t think they show it here, but i don’t watch freeview or sky.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worth getting your aerial checked ? Just replaced ours and got all the HD freeview which was always a bit hit and miss.

You can get a android box to get you the stuff you want, if you're worried about kodi just uninstall it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you do decide to get something that supports kodi etc then I would recommend getting a VPN as well otherwise you may get a knock on the door.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Worth getting your aerial checked ? Just replaced ours and got all the HD freeview which was always a bit hit and miss.

You can get a android box to get you the stuff you want, if you're worried about kodi just uninstall it.
Hmm, it might be the aerial. I don't know how old it is since it came with the house.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

How much did it cost you to get the aerial done just out of interest? I've just contacted an aerial installer found on Checkatrade to ask, but just for comparison's sake.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try a re tune , we've a bog standard TV we take around in our caravan and retune each trip , only takes a couple if minutes and we get all the local stations plus the Freeview ones 👍

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How much did it cost you to get the aerial done just out of interest? I've just contacted an aerial installer found on Checkatrade to ask, but just for comparison's sake.

I’ve just got a freeview box in bedroom tv and I tried a small indoor Ariel from Amazon for £12 works perfect.

But my son tried it in his house and It didn’t work.

But for the price might be worth a try and a lot less hassle.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try a re tune , we've a bog standard TV we take around in our caravan and retune each trip , only takes a couple if minutes and we get all the local stations plus the Freeview ones 👍
I mentioned I've tried Digital Tuning and it just tells me it found 0 channels (and consequently loses them all). I then have to do Satellite Tuning just to get it back to how it was.

I’ve just got a freeview box in bedroom tv and I tried a small indoor Ariel from Amazon for £12 works perfect.

But my son tried it in his house and It didn’t work.

But for the price might be worth a try and a lot less hassle.
I used to own a cheap plug in aerial but the missus bloody lost it. I recall it was a bit of pain though anyway, only work at certain angles and then you change channel and you've got to move it across the room :LOL:

I've spoken to an aerial installer now, he said it's free call out to have a look, then a small fix could be £80, but replacing the whole aerial and cables could be up to £230. That's quite steep considering I don't watch TV that often, I just want things to work really!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
How DIY savvy are you? If it's the aerial that's at fault, you could replace it yourself, normally they have a co-axial connection point mounted on the top (simple screw down core clamp and a braid retainer). Obviously if it's a roof mount then that's a different kettle of fish, but surely most are attic installed these days?
£230 to replace seems a bit steep.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know just the thing for you dear boy, retro I know how you youngsters love that...

metal coat banter in the top, cheap as chips😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How DIY savvy are you? If it's the aerial that's at fault, you could replace it yourself, normally they have a co-axial connection point mounted on the top (simple screw down core clamp and a braid retainer). Obviously if it's a roof mount then that's a different kettle of fish, but surely most are attic installed these days?
£230 to replace seems a bit steep.
Firstly, not very, I can just about change a light bulb. :LOL: But yeah our aerial is in the loft, so he might have been factoring in an external aerial in the price he said. Since I forgot to mention it was internal, and he said 230 was the absolute most it could be.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could check to see if it's been moved or damaged. When we moved in, I forgot the aerial was in the attic and threw a box of CDs up and totally annihilated the aerial. Luckily we have never used an aerial (they are so 1980s...
Try moving it slightly then re-run the channel scan. Check the cabling isn't damaged as well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could check to see if it's been moved or damaged. When we moved in, I forgot the aerial was in the attic and threw a box of CDs up and totally annihilated the aerial. Luckily we have never used an aerial (they are so 1980s...
Try moving it slightly then re-run the channel scan. Check the cabling isn't damaged as well.
I'll have a look, it's unlikely to have moved though as I never actually go in the loft, I just sit the boxes around the hatch without actually fully climbing up. :LOL:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's likely faulty then. However, there is still a possibility that the DVB tuner in the TV is goosed and that's why you have 0 channels.

Possibly test with another DVB source like a small TV or freeview box.

To your fist post, no point in buying a freeview box if the aerial is the problem.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's likely faulty then. However, there is still a possibility that the DVB tuner in the TV is goosed and that's why you have 0 channels.

Possibly test with another DVB source like a small TV or freeview box.

To your fist post, no point in buying a freeview box if the aerial is the problem.
Oh yeah I won't now, I only thought it might be the aerial when spongebob pointed it out.

I think I'll get this aerial installer guy out with his testing kit, I'm pretty sure he said he did free call out.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
We've got Freeview with an aerial bought for £14 from Screwfix put in the loft. Just point it in the direction everyones aerial is. Works ok. Not that we watch much on it. We've also got the Firestick (cool name init?) and watch 95% of all our TV on it.
PS It's not the streaming they are after it's the sharing of those programmes.