Assisted Dying

RichA

Visit site
For me on a personal level I am totally in favour.

Having watched what my wife went through in the last years of her life that would never be for me but I also know that assisted dying would never been what she wanted.

Sound mind is an all important factor but there should be a thorough check to ascertain whether or not the person is coming under pressure from others to do it.
Totally agree. Also a factor is the perception of the individual in question. Even if the relatives aren't applying pressure, the individual might make an irreversible decision based on guilt and a desire to be selfless.
Fortunately, my Dad is remarkably fit and healthy, physically and mentally, for an 89 year old. No amount of reassurance can convince him that he isn't a burden on his children, though. That's my only worry with the issue.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Totally agree. Also a factor is the perception of the individual in question. Even if the relatives aren't applying pressure, the individual might make an irreversible decision based on guilt and a desire to be selfless.
Fortunately, my Dad is remarkably fit and healthy, physically and mentally, for an 89 year old. No amount of reassurance can convince him that he isn't a burden on his children, though. That's my only worry with the issue.

I take your point. But the goalposts have moved a bit?
We are talking about people who are terminally ill, verified by Drs, who are in pain or very badly situated, who then make their wishes known in indisputable and proper circumstances.

D

Deleted member 16999

Very dificult subject, I had one friend who chose to go to Switzerland through Dignitas, he was only in his early 50’s but had suffered since his early 40’s with a degenaritive disease.

How he passed only came to light afterwards as only his wife, 2 Children and 1 family friend was involved, due to the fact they’d of been prevented from leaving the Country had the authorities found out.

I believe we should have the choice in the right circumstances, but the right of those opposed need to be protected as well.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
A very good friend of mine died a couple of years ago from Motor Neurone Disease, without doubt one of the cruelest illnesses there is. He had looked at Dignitas in Switzerland and was happy to go down that route, and was told he could but only if he was able to travel under his own steam and remained capable of administering the drugs himself, that being the deal. His partner refused to travel with him, so he didn’t, in the end, go. Fortunately for him, he died peacefully at home in his sleep.

I remain staggered, in this day and age, that someone of sound mind and who is able to self administer the drugs cannot do so in dignity, and in surroundings where they are cared for at the end. It is utterly wrong that this decision should be one where politicians have the ultimate say, and are swayed in their decision by religious leaders. Plain wrong.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to go to the hospital every 8 weeks for an infusion of biological medicine. A chap I see every 8 weeks there goes every 2 weeks, he is a donor-recipient, it's not going well, he is on his 2nd or third attempt. Today he said while we were waiting to go in along the lines of 'i wish they would just give up trying with me now, I am not living any form of life, I sleep a maximum of 2 hours a night and am in constant pain, I just want it all to end' The guy I thought was in his mid to late seventies.. Told me today he is 59.

I am very much a if in sound mind to make that decision, then you should be allowed the dignity of ending your own life.

D

Deleted member 21258

After seeing what Dad went though, it only confirmed my thoughts on assisted dying. It should be legal.

Assuming someone is willing to help me, then there would be many situations I can think of, I would like that option.

Hopefully I will die of a quick painless death.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
From a different perspective - though not a view on Yes/No on the debate.

My cousin, 60 next month, is in palliative care due to multiple cancers and nearing the end. She is now always living with severe pain, sometimes very severe. Most of the time she is perfectly lucid, though movement can be very painful, but sometimes the pain relief drugs are required to be so strong that they numb both the pain and her lucidity. She has been subject to multiple interventions as the cancers have spread, and at any point she could have said No More. But she hasn’t.

She has a very strong faith and she uses that faith to cope. Why does she continue? Maybe she wants to get to her 60th next month to celebrate with her twin, her younger brother, my aunt, and their wider family and community. But I think it is much more than that. I think she is doing it for others…so that in their times of pain and difficulty, such as we all have, they can take strength from my cousins fortitude and example, strength to look deep inside themselves and find that same fortitude and strength to keep going and keep positive through their difficult period - as my dear cousin has been doing for nearly 3years and as as she continues to do today, and she will do until the end.

In her final days I am as certain as I can be that, whatever pain or loss of consciousness she is subject to, she would not want her final moments to be hastened by intervention, and that might be very difficult for those who love and are close to her - and of those there are very many.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Visit site
From a different perspective - though not a view on Yes/No on the debate.

My cousin, 60 next month, is in palliative care due to multiple cancers and nearing the end. She is now always living with severe pain, sometimes very severe. Most of the time she is perfectly lucid, though movement can be very painful, but sometimes the pain relief drugs are required to be so strong that they numb both the pain and her lucidity. She has been subject to multiple interventions as the cancers have spread, and at any point she could have said No More. But she hasn’t.

She has a very strong faith and she uses that faith to cope. Why does she continue? Maybe she wants to get to her 60th next month to celebrate with her twin, her younger brother, my aunt, and their wider family and community. But I think it is much more than that. I think she is doing it for others…so that in their times of pain and difficulty, such as we all have, they can take strength from my cousins fortitude and example, strength to look deep inside themselves and find that same fortitude and strength to keep going and keep positive through their difficult period - as my dear cousin has been doing for nearly 3years and as as she continues to do today, and she will do until the end.

In her final days I am as certain as I can be that, whatever pain or loss of consciousness she is subject to, she would not want her final moments to be hastened by intervention, and that might be very difficult for those who love and are close to her - and of those there are very many.

And that is absolutely her choice, which she has every right to exercise. For me, this is all about choice, and those who choose to end their lives should be allowed to do so without it feeling somehow dirty and opposed by those who have zero knowledge of their wishes or circumstances.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
It should be a choice, it shouldn’t be a taboo subject, shouldn’t be frowned upon or looked at as if you need help or a cowardly way out.

Absolutely should be allowed for who are in pain and certainly allowed for those who see the world differently and just feel “life” isn’t for them.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
A very good friend of mine died a couple of years ago from Motor Neurone Disease, without doubt one of the cruelest illnesses there is. He had looked at Dignitas in Switzerland and was happy to go down that route, and was told he could but only if he was able to travel under his own steam and remained capable of administering the drugs himself, that being the deal. His partner refused to travel with him, so he didn’t, in the end, go. Fortunately for him, he died peacefully at home in his sleep.

I remain staggered, in this day and age, that someone of sound mind and who is able to self administer the drugs cannot do so in dignity, and in surroundings where they are cared for at the end. It is utterly wrong that this decision should be one where politicians have the ultimate say, and are swayed in their decision by religious leaders. Plain wrong.

Well said, indeed.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are states worth than death, severe pain, some neurodegenerative diseases. I hope that if I ever reach that state, someone does me the mercy of ending it for me. Medicine and caring are as much about quality of life as length of life, and some treatment extends and prolongs death rather than life. The reality is that despite improvements in palliative care, there are some situations where genuine comfort and relief cannot be provided.

Assisted dying is a difficult area, and is an unwelcome choice between bad outcomes to find the least worst. Washing your hands of it and claiming ethical objections doesn't help the patient involved much, can be a bit of a cop-out.

Like abortion, it should be a matter of conscience, but also like abortion, people should apply their personal religious beliefs to their own choices and not those of others.

In Ireland, death is not seen in quite the same way as England. Obviously it is often a sad time, but sometimes it is a relief to the patients and their family and is welcomed even if not assisted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

And that is absolutely her choice, which she has every right to exercise. For me, this is all about choice, and those who choose to end their lives should be allowed to do so without it feeling somehow dirty and opposed by those who have zero knowledge of their wishes or circumstances.
And then so it should remain the choice of the individual, but not of others.

My cousin could have chosen to not continue with interventions over a year ago at a point when things were very painful and very dark - and if she had not been able to make a decision at that point but others had…but she chose to continue and the interventions since received have given her many valuable months with us that were not expected and that have enriched her life as it closes and that of all around her as we support her.

Billysboots

Visit site

And then so it should remain the choice of the individual, but not of others.

My cousin could have chosen to not continue with interventions over a year ago at a point when things were very painful and very dark - and if she had not been able to make a decision at that point but others had…but she chose to continue and the interventions since received have given her many valuable months with us that were not expected and that have enriched her life as it closes and that of all around her as we support her.

Totally agree.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Who does the assisting though, it can't be right for a clinician to end another life. Some may be able to take a lethal drink or press a button but some won't. Even if it's a form of lethal injection someone has to make the preparations.

The DNR instruction is more acceptable to me even if it doesn't address those with long term pain and suffering. I'm not suggesting the concept of someone wishing to end their life prematurely is wrong but there are some complications in my mind as to how it can be used.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I’m definitely in favour of this with proper conditions and monitoring.

It’s not about shortening life, it’s about shortening the process of death.

It was said this morning,” it’s not about prolonging life, but not prolonging death”. The same thing but different Words.
The end product is the same, so why prolong. Listening to the archbishop this morning, he embarrassed himself and if he as a spokesperson is the strongest argument for not assisting with death. Then he should stick to religion and religion only.
Missis T saw the assisted death story this morning and as a nurse she said that people who vote on this need to spend a day with people who are prolonging death and there families.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was said this morning,” it’s not about prolonging life, but not prolonging death”. The same thing but different Words.
The end product is the same, so why prolong. Listening to the archbishop this morning, he embarrassed himself and if he as a spokesperson is the strongest argument for not assisting with death. Then he should stick to religion and religion only.
Missis T saw the assisted death story this morning and as a nurse she said that people who vote on this need to spend a day with people who are prolonging death and there families.
He would consider his religion to be all about life and death. People may not agree with his view but I can understand why he wants to express it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
He would consider his religion to be all about life and death. People may not agree with his view but I can understand why he wants to express it.

I totally get that, but he knew what the topic of conversation was the day before he was interviewed. Am positive there is another side not assisting with death. But his responses were very poor.

Billysboots

Visit site
Who does the assisting though, it can't be right for a clinician to end another life. Some may be able to take a lethal drink or press a button but some won't. Even if it's a form of lethal injection someone has to make the preparations.

The DNR instruction is more acceptable to me even if it doesn't address those with long term pain and suffering. I'm not suggesting the concept of someone wishing to end their life prematurely is wrong but there are some complications in my mind as to how it can be used.

If it was anything like Dignitas the patient has to be able to administer the drugs to themselves.