Arthritis in thumb.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just been diagnosed with arthritis in my left thumb .
Hit a tree root Saturday and thought someone had stabbed me in the wrist.
Turns out it’s my joint we’re thumb meets wrist.
Can’t even lift a cup at the moment.
Anyone got any tips or have this .
Any rehab tips I can be doing while I am bored off my head already .
I am in a removable cast at the moment .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not diagnosed '(with arthiritis ) in same thumb, but I am sure I have it. Missis T pulled my hand over her in bed last week and I was near to tears. The slightest wrong thing and it's agony. Probably the only time I am happy with it is when my back or knee plays up and Mr Ibuprofen and paracetamol lends a hand and sorts out all three.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not arthritis but about a year or so back I broke a little bone in left hand around the same place you describe

As you say initially I couldn't do anything as thumb is pretty useless, but within a week or so I could putt with no pain and it took another 4 weeks before I could do chips, 4 more to start swinging irons but still restricted
I was about a month in before I got the removable cast so hopefully you're already past the first few weeks had it been broken
I still carry the elasticated thumb/wrist support in my golf bag that I used when I started playing again just in case it plays up again

For the injury/condition; Follow the appropriate physio/recovery instructions
For the break from playing golf; I still went to the club each week, even turned up on comp day as usual and putted for a few hours just to be social at lunch after they played. Its nice to just be involved
My Prescription for you; Take one PGA Players Championship with a dosage of 4-6 hours a day over the next 4 days (usually before and after a meal) No side-effects expected as you are well inside the sympathy period from other family members. If you do begin to feel tired and lethargic its likely due to the presence of a Keegan Bradley type player currently showing on your screen so the effects will pass after a couple of minutes (Sky+ can help with this)

Hope you get back out soon

U

User62651

Try hot and cold therapy to get inflammation down.

Looking forward changing to midsize grips might offer a bit of relief but it'll possibly lessen clubhead speed.

Having had 4 separate fingers operated on for tenosynovitis (trigger finger) I can sympathise, have to wait months for surgery under NHS, last one was particularly sore.

Golf probably doesn't help.

I have some arthritis in shoulders and hips, tedious really.

Any 'itis' in your hands is trouble, sorry.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try hot and cold therapy to get inflammation down.

Looking forward changing to midsize grips might offer a bit of relief but it'll possibly lessen clubhead speed.

Having had 4 separate fingers operated on for tenosynovitis (trigger finger) I can sympathise, have to wait months for surgery under NHS, last one was particularly sore.

Golf probably doesn't help.

I have some arthritis in shoulders and hips, tedious really.

Any 'itis' in your hands is trouble, sorry.
I have had a scaphoid op when I was a goalkeeper 45 yrs ago.
Then had a Carpal tunnel release 10yrs ago .
Have always had trouble ,weakness in this wrist but nothing like what happened Saturday it was a big shock.
Wear and tear I suppose.
Cheers guys.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've been on Immuno suppressants for years for arthritis,I get it everywhere depending on which way the wind blows.Ive tried compression gloves...not for me! Magnetic bracelet... jury's out.
The best I've found for my hands and plenty of other spots is a steady diet of ibuprofen and paracetamol (2 of each every few hrs as required).You need to keep topped up and deep heat won't go astray either.Keep it moving regardless