Arran golf

Jsl1972

Visit site
I’m in the process of putting together a trip to the Isle of Arran for my Dad and I, and am wondering if anyone has done anything similar? Arranging the golf looks straightforward, it’s more about getting there! I’m in the South of England, so any tips on flights, car hire, ferries etc would be really helpful. TIA.
JSL1973

Jsl1972

Visit site
I’m in the process of putting together a trip to the Isle of Arran for my Dad and I, and am wondering if anyone has done anything similar? Arranging the golf looks straightforward, it’s more about getting there! I’m in the South of England, so any tips on flights, car hire, ferries etc would be really helpful. TIA.
JSL1973
Oh, and accommodation!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fly to Glasgow, pick up hire car at airport then 40 min drive to Ardrossan to get the CalMac ferry across to the island. Alternatively just drive up.
Make sure you plan a few extra nights, so that you have time to fully savour the delights of Ardrossan itself :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I went there a couple of years ago, drove up from the Midlands and took the CalMac ferry.
Stayed in a house on the east side of the island which my wife sorted via Airbnb.

Great set of courses but none of them are long so if you're a big hitter you'll overpower them. I took two half sets, one of hickory and one of old persimmons and blades.

Favourite course by far was Corrie, beautiful surroundings and a real old school feel to it, I played hickory there which was perfect.
If you only have modern clubs then I'd suggest just a 3 or 4 wood and a half set of irons.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Ardrossan recommendation was possibly just a little tongue in cheek. Its subtle charm and beauty are a taste that is not acquired by all visitors.
Particularly at weekends the ferries are often fully booked for cars, book in advance,
Depending on time available you can cross from the other side of the Island to the Kintrye peninsular and play some of the courses there.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Ardrossan recommendation was possibly just a little tongue in cheek. Its subtle charm and beauty are a taste that is not acquired by all visitors.
Particularly at weekends the ferries are often fully booked for cars, book in advance,
Depending on time available you can cross from the other side of the Island to the Kintrye peninsular and play some of the courses there.
Perhaps!
Last time I was there we arrived at about 5:30 in the morning to catch the early ferry.. A ghost town with newspapers & litter blowing down the main street. If, for any reason, I think of Ardrossan, the theme tune of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly mysteriously pops into mind ...

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Perhaps!
Last time I was there we arrived at about 5:30 in the morning to catch the early ferry.. A ghost town with newspapers & litter blowing down the main street. If, for any reason, I think of Ardrossan, the theme tune of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly mysteriously pops into mind ...
You caught it on a good day. ;)

Jsl1972

Visit site
Perhaps!
My favourite film, I should love it!

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We went for a week recently and I played Shiskine, Lamlash, Brodick, Corrie and Machrie Bay and looked at Whiting Bay and Lochranza. We stayed in Lamlash.

When we go to Scotland each year, we usually fly to an airport local to our area of holiday eg Inverness for Nairn /Dornoch and hire a car from the airport - but this year we were later booking so took the car.
Glasgow airport is on the west of Glasgow, so ideal for a trip to Arran. It does add cost but will save the time in the long run. I use Flybe usually but you will have to add golf clubs transport costs to each flight.
Ferries are easy to book to suit you but book early once the timetable becomes available to ensure you get what you want if it is a busy time of year.

If you have any specific questions, just ask

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Without a shadow of a doubt Shiskine is the best course on the island. It's tremendous course and the most fun you'll ever have on a golf course.

After that I'd say Brodick is the next best although if it's been wet it can hold the water and be wet under foot.

I also love Corrie, great 9 hole course but be careful in the rough, the place is teaming with Adders. I had never seen an adder in the wild till I played Corrie and saw five in a short period of time on an absolute scorching day a few years back.

Lamlash is also good fun. Used to be good food in the clubhouse, not sure if it's still like that. Whiting Bay is "interesting" and Machrie is also rough but fun. Only course i didn't really enjoy was Lochranza.

Accommodation wise I would recommend the Blackwaterfoot Hotel where you can just walk along the road to Shiskine. Or if you want to be a bit more central then the Douglas in Brodick is superb. Also if you want a bit more "luxury" and maybe a spa then the Auchrannie is good but it is expensive.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think you can still get the Arran golf pass to play all 7 courses.
https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/arran-golf-pass-p736771
Course featured here is Corrie on the slopes of Glen Sannox with Goat Fell in the distance, my favourite Scottish mountain.
I've played them all and for different reasons they are all worth playing.

I was told recently that Lochranza is no longer on the 7 course pass, the person who told me said that they were offered to play one of the courses twice.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I wonder if that's because players tend not to go there, so the money is split among the other 6.
Lochranza might be judged to be below standard, but it's real golf in a deer park.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I went there a couple of years ago, drove up from the Midlands and took the CalMac ferry.
Stayed in a house on the east side of the island which my wife sorted via Airbnb.

Great set of courses but none of them are long so if you're a big hitter you'll overpower them. I took two half sets, one of hickory and one of old persimmons and blades.

Favourite course by far was Corrie, beautiful surroundings and a real old school feel to it, I played hickory there which was perfect.
If you only have modern clubs then I'd suggest just a 3 or 4 wood and a half set of irons.

Played Corrie a few years ago. Absolutely stunning setting - walking up into the mountains. Money in the Honesty Box; Clubhouse open lunchtime when lady members will make tea and sandwiches available; greenkeeper joining us for a couple of holes (he had his clubs in the box on back of his tractor) when he checked our tickets as he did work on the course. A glorious golfing experience.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played Corrie a few years ago. Absolutely stunning setting - walking up into the mountains. Money in the Honesty Box; Clubhouse open lunchtime when lady members will make tea and sandwiches available; greenkeeper joining us for a couple of holes (he had his clubs in the box on back of his tractor) when he checked our tickets as he did work on the course. A glorious golfing experience.

I loved Corrie too - helped by playing really well !!

Jsl1972

Visit site
We went for a week recently and I played Shiskine, Lamlash, Brodick, Corrie and Machrie Bay and looked at Whiting Bay and Lochranza. We stayed in Lamlash.

When we go to Scotland each year, we usually fly to an airport local to our area of holiday eg Inverness for Nairn /Dornoch and hire a car from the airport - but this year we were later booking so took the car.
Glasgow airport is on the west of Glasgow, so ideal for a trip to Arran. It does add cost but will save the time in the long run. I use Flybe usually but you will have to add golf clubs transport costs to each flight.
Ferries are easy to book to suit you but book early once the timetable becomes available to ensure you get what you want if it is a busy time of year.

If you have any specific questions, just ask
That’s a great help, It’s worth a trip then?