Arrrghhh!! Can't hit a draw

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Never, ever pick a bay with a wall left of the tee mat. It's impossible to feel comfortable thinking your club might hit a wall. The range at woodhall spa is a prime example of poor design.

Why do you want to draw your driver all of a sudden?

Irons, fine. Driver, NOOOO!

Pointless. Just find the fairway. It's all you need off the tee.

I do think you shape it too much though. 5 yards movement is plenty.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
With my Driver I always setup with the club grounded and the ball towards the toe. I learned that if you setup centered with the club grounded you will tend to hit out the heel when the club strikes the ball.

this is particular to your own swing, yes?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

It's considered that if you raise the angle of the shaft at impact (to actually hit the ball) then that change in angle will present the heel of the club to the ball... the higher the tee the more the effect.

A bit like in this picture... [click pic to enlarge...]

heel.jpg

If you float the club directly behind the ball at address then address the ball out of the sweetspot.
If you have the club on the ground then address it off the toe.

Of course this doesn't really consider what the persons swing is like, but makes perfect sense geometrically and can help take an adjustment/compensating movement out of your swing. Takes some getting used to though :p

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not at all. Try it, address a teed up ball with your driver grounded and the ball in the centre of the face now lift the driver so the ball is in the middle of the face, as at impact. The ball will now be aligned towards the heel.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I set up with the club in the middle of the driver, then I hit the middle of the driver.............most times.
James is spot on with the persons swing comment, addressing the ball to compensate for a swing 'error' is much easier than trying to fix it. Fuzzy Zoeller is one of the more famous examples.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I set up with the club in the middle of the driver, then I hit the middle of the driver.............most times.
James is spot on with the persons swing comment, addressing the ball to compensate for a swing 'error' is much easier than trying to fix it. Fuzzy Zoeller is one of the more famous examples.

I think James was agreeing with me. Do you setup with your driver hovering behind the ball?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Went to the weirdest driving range today.. you hit into practically a 45 degree uphill slope so you need a 5-iron to get one up by the 150 marker :mad: It was just WRONG, and may explain the fact that I was almost trying to hit every shot up in the air :mad: Ha!

Wasn't too bad a day, all things considered. (note to self... bring own clubs next time!)

That range can mess with ye heed :rofl:

Ive pured many a six iron from the top tier and still not carried the 150

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I was agreeing with Socket.

If you address the ball with the club on the ground then geometry suggests you should address it off the toe. The picture was supposed to show why :mad: If you are addressing it NOT off the toe then it would suggest you have some compensation happening somewhere to try and keep the sweetspot in place.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Can't hit a draw with my driver for love nor money... OK I've hardly played and haven't practiced but it seems that the past 2yrs of hitting a push-fade and leaving the face open to the path has rid me of the nice natural draw I played for more that a dozen years with the big stick :angry: ...gutted,... now that means I need to get on a driving range again, and probably even video my swing :angry:

That said if anyone wants tips on how to smother your driver into the ground then I'm your man!!! :D

Let GM top 25 coach help you

[video=youtube_share;yiCPYi0e6lE]http://youtu.be/yiCPYi0e6lE[/video]

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think James was agreeing with me. Do you setup with your driver hovering behind the ball?

I was agreeing with Socket.

If you address the ball with the club on the ground then geometry suggests you should address it off the toe. The picture was supposed to show why :mad: If you are addressing it NOT off the toe then it would suggest you have some compensation happening somewhere to try and keep the sweetspot in place.

well I'm glad you both sorted that out ;)

Don't think I said or even suggested you weren't :smirk:

:cool: