Arrrghhh!! Can't hit a draw

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Can't hit a draw with my driver for love nor money... OK I've hardly played and haven't practiced but it seems that the past 2yrs of hitting a push-fade and leaving the face open to the path has rid me of the nice natural draw I played for more that a dozen years with the big stick :angry: ...gutted,... now that means I need to get on a driving range again, and probably even video my swing :angry:

That said if anyone wants tips on how to smother your driver into the ground then I'm your man!!! :D

A

Alex1975

Thought the S&T SWING promoted a draw ?

It can/does but James's swing is his own and not S&T.

This post kinda made me laugh as I had a game with Rick and James at the end of summer and we were all having a little fun trying to psych one another out a bit, lead by James I would think... Towards the end we had Rick pretending he could not walk and making birdies... But we inadvertently discovered that James could not hit a draw off the tee, our guide Rick then seemed to assure us for the remainder of the holes that a draw was needed to keep you out of trouble. Rick won.... James never hit a draw....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thought the S&T SWING promoted a draw ?

It does but I don't follow the pattern so 'closely' with my driver. I'm still stacked, and tilted, but other elements aren't as they should be if I were promoting a draw. I like to hit it down the left side with my driver and let it 'slide' with a push-fade it's a lot of fun after having played a draw all my life.... now I can't buy a draw with the ruddy thing.

No real problem with my irons though as that swing is closer to the pattern.

Went to the weirdest driving range today.. you hit into practically a 45 degree uphill slope so you need a 5-iron to get one up by the 150 marker :mad: It was just WRONG, and may explain the fact that I was almost trying to hit every shot up in the air :mad: Ha!

Wasn't too bad a day, all things considered. (note to self... bring own clubs next time!)

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
But you had a lovely, sweet draw at Princes when I played the last 9 with you - sorry James, no, my mistake, that was Cookelad but you did have a great push fade!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
It does but I don't follow the pattern so 'closely' with my driver. I'm still stacked, and tilted, but other elements aren't as they should be if I were promoting a draw. I like to hit it down the left side with my driver and let it 'slide' with a push-fade it's a lot of fun after having played a draw all my life.... now I can't buy a draw with the ruddy thing.

No real problem with my irons though as that swing is closer to the pattern.

Went to the weirdest driving range today.. you hit into practically a 45 degree uphill slope so you need a 5-iron to get one up by the 150 marker :mad: It was just WRONG, and may explain the fact that I was almost trying to hit every shot up in the air :mad: Ha!

Wasn't too bad a day, all things considered. (note to self... bring own clubs next time!)

I played for years with a slight draw as well then during the summer i started with this poofy fade that cost me yards it took me 3 lessons and some hard work to get it back ,but its getting there.
For me i wasn't finishing the swing but cutting across on the follow thru and rotating my hands ,now i'm back swing outward and more hand rotation if you no what i mean.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
It can/does but James's swing is his own and not S&T.

This post kinda made me laugh as I had a game with Rick and James at the end of summer and we were all having a little fun trying to psych one another out a bit, lead by James I would think... Towards the end we had Rick pretending he could not walk and making birdies... But we inadvertently discovered that James could not hit a draw off the tee, our guide Rick then seemed to assure us for the remainder of the holes that a draw was needed to keep you out of trouble. Rick won.... James never hit a draw....

Ah mate that was a blinding day and the start of an amazing tour......we must do it again next year!!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
JO,

Have you checked where you are contacting the Driver face with the ball, it can make a big difference to ball flight if you are a little off centre.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
it seems that the past 2yrs of hitting a push-fade and leaving the face open to the path has rid me of the nice natural draw I played for more that a dozen years with the big stick ........

strangely I'm just getting used to using a push fade, and will be delighted if I never see my hook again :) it's taken me the same 2 years!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
JO,

Have you checked where you are contacting the Driver face with the ball, it can make a big difference to ball flight if you are a little off centre.

Yes you're right Socket, the contact was rubbish, off the heel and with about 1 degree of loft.

After a few swings today in the garden I think I was simply standing too close to the ball, getting cramped and pulling up with high hands. I was very conscious of being in a range bay which always make me feel cramped.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes you're right Socket, the contact was rubbish, off the heel and with about 1 degree of loft.

After a few swings today in the garden I think I was simply standing too close to the ball, getting cramped and pulling up with high hands. I was very conscious of being in a range bay which always make me feel cramped.

With my Driver I always setup with the club grounded and the ball towards the toe. I learned that if you setup centered with the club grounded you will tend to hit out the heel when the club strikes the ball.