Are your mates all low handicapers (but you are not)?

jfg2000

Visit site
Just registered today, so hello everyone.
I started taking golf lessons 3 years ago, before that I'd never held a club in my hand. I took about 6-7 lessons, practiced when I could, played by paying green fees here and there, etc. 6 months later I joined a club with three other guys from work as we usually can escape on a Friday afternoon to play.
My mates are all more experienced and two of them play of 9 and the other one of 12. I play of 24, and althugh last year I thought I would reduce it, I couldn't. In fact I started of 23. It was just a year full of 'buffers' or '+0.1s'.
I understand that the handicap is there to level things so you can play against others despite their level of play, however I can't but feel frustrated and angry at myself for not getting closer to my mates' handicaps.
I haven't done much about in terms of more tuition (maybe just go to the range and try 'new things')... instead I have 'blamed' the clubs I had and have changed makes and models, added one hybrid to the bag, swapped this one for the other, etc... (just mental tricks to make you feel better).
I enjoy the game very much, but I'm fed up of being the last one off the tee in each hole :D . Do any of you fellas have had similar experiences, any suggestions/comments ??
Cheers
JFG2000

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am at the other end of the spectrum. I am the lowest of my normal 4 ball (the others being 23, 24, and 28) and I get frustrated at them regularly getting 40+ points in boucne games and then only playing over handicap in competitions. Frustrated because I know deep down they all have the potential to play much lower and also because it normally costs me a round of drinks for the lowest score.

My advice would be to stop blaming the tools and look at the guy using them. I'd suggest getting a cpurse of three or four lessons and having an MOT on your swing and getting to the range to try and groove the changes. This time of year before any major competitions start is ideal for making any changes. If you can also get a couple of short game/putting lessons too you may find that even if you aren't striking the ball well your short game will help your score.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Provided that your clubs are less than (say)10 years old, don't blame them. The usual problem is how you wield them - and I should know :).

Instead of wasting money changing them, spend some of the money on lessons with a good pro, take note of what she/he says, practice it and, when on the course with your mates, tell them what you are trying to achieve and ask them for feedback.

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
I was in a similar situation about a year ago. My regular playing partner was much better then me, and although like you say, the handicap system evened things out with scores, I couldn't help getting frustarted that his card always looked so much better then mine before applying the handicap.

The solution was so obvious... PRACTICE and lots of it. I hit the range, I bought a putting mat and I read Rotella and now on a good day I'm taking the skins off of him and on a bad day I can still hold my head up. Get a few top up lessons and practice. Its the only way!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just registered today, so hello everyone.
I started taking golf lessons 3 years ago, before that I'd never held a club in my hand. I took about 6-7 lessons, practiced when I could, played by paying green fees here and there, etc. 6 months later I joined a club with three other guys from work as we usually can escape on a Friday afternoon to play.
My mates are all more experienced and two of them play of 9 and the other one of 12. I play of 24, and althugh last year I thought I would reduce it, I couldn't. In fact I started of 23. It was just a year full of 'buffers' or '+0.1s'.
I understand that the handicap is there to level things so you can play against others despite their level of play, however I can't but feel frustrated and angry at myself for not getting closer to my mates' handicaps.
I haven't done much about in terms of more tuition (maybe just go to the range and try 'new things')... instead I have 'blamed' the clubs I had and have changed makes and models, added one hybrid to the bag, swapped this one for the other, etc... (just mental tricks to make you feel better).
I enjoy the game very much, but I'm fed up of being the last one off the tee in each hole :D . Do any of you fellas have had similar experiences, any suggestions/comments ??
Cheers
JFG2000

Welcome.
There are many many tips to be gained in golf,and you are visiting a good site for good advice, you cant beat seeing a good pro as a regular, but one thing a lot of high h/c players tend to do is try too hard mentally and some even physically.

Keep going, get lots of practice and give it time. ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
hi & welcome,

I know exactly where you're coming from. The only thing stopping me changing some of my toys is cost (not satisfied with the hybrid or fairway wood, and want a 3)
I'm just starting my 3rd year, got a starting h/cap of 24 at the beginning of last year and ended +0.5.
I've had lessons, some of which sunk in but as with everybody (no matter how good) things go wrong - at our end more frequently. I will get more lessons, finding the right pro is the issue - you have to get on, his style has to be right for you and he has to be able to teach (just having the qualification isn't enough) so that you learn something more every time.
I was told early on that the best way to learn is to play competitions, as that will teach more about course management than anything.
The thing to remember is that you won't always be the last man of the tee, I'd be surprised if you are now.
Something I was told recently which struck a chord - relax and play your game not theirs.

Oh, and think of your handicap this way - it took a whole year to get +1, you can lose that in one round.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.
My advice for what it's worth is to have an on course lesson with a pro. He will then see your "real" swing, not your range swing. He will also see your whole game and tell you which area of your game needs the most practice. That way you will be able to use your practice time to better improve your game by practicing the areas you need to. There's no point bashing your driver on the range all day if your short game is letting you down.

Bob PGA Professional

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob is spot on (as usual)

When I took up the game, I thought if i just go the range 3 times a week and practice I will be ace in no time. Sad fact was, I got worse and worse untill I had a lesson.

I was doing everything wrong and practicing it too, so I was only embedding an already awful swing in. The longer i practiced it, the deeper it got, meaning it would take longer to rid.

Once the pro had my Grip, Alignment, Stance and Posture correct, he tweeked my swing everynow and then. That enabled me to start striking consistently.

Then I learnt how to play golf, That is a whole new subject :D

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am at the other end of the spectrum. I am the lowest of my normal 4 ball (the others being 23, 24, and 28) and I get frustrated at them regularly getting 40+ points in boucne games and then only playing over handicap in competitions. Frustrated because I know deep down they all have the potential to play much lower and also because it normally costs me a round of drinks for the lowest score.

Homer - I have just worked out why you practice/play so much and don't seem to get any better - it's because these boys are draggingo you down to their level....you need to play with players better than you, it really does improve your game as you see how things should/could/can be done.....

Earl

Club Champion
Visit site
I play with a group of upto 10 i was the highest handicap and i know exactly how you feel, we play you win you drop a shot you lose you go up i am now not the highest but probably never will be the lowest. However i will never stop trying and i have told them that i will beat them at a scratch game in the future. So my advice is enjoy the game and never give up you never know when things will suddenly click into place, one thing i have found out is that whenever i shoot my best score the euphoria does'nt last long because i'm then looking to how i am going to lower it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also know the feeling, I play in a group with handicaps of 8, 16 and 18 so a fair spread but my game tends to improve when playing with better golfers. That said, they are also a bit annoyed with my high handicap scores so I have to negotiate a voluntary cut before each round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest I don't actually play that seriously with them. Saturday morning is my fun round where I can try a few different shots on the course and have a laugh and chill. The competition rounds are different and there is a whole different and more focussed Homer on the course. To be honest at the moment we are probably only playing maybe twice a month as we get drawn apart in comps and some of them have other committments so it is Saturday or bust.

jfg2000

Visit site
Dear all
Many thanks for your responses and comments. As a newly registered member, I was very surprised to see so many people writing here, it's great to hear from other like-minded golfers.
You are very right in many things, which I sum up as follows:

( Spanish goal !! get in !! - sorry fellas, watching game and Spain just scored - I'm Spanish by the way - but have been living in UK for 12 years)

1. The problem is not the arrows, but the indian. As a resolution, I will not spend any money in more equipment but use what I have.

2. As Homer says, I need an MOT of my swing, so I'm booking a few lessons with my pro. I also like the idea of an 'on course' lesson, hopefully won't be very expensive.

3. Practice. I promise to go to the range at least once a week and hit 75 balls.

4. I won't try so hard mentally, I'll play my own game and enjoy it.

5. I'll remind myself of this, which I think is a great thought : " It took a whole year to get +1, you can lose that in a round ". Thanks viscount17 for this.

OK, thanks again and see you in other posts I'm sure.

Adios

jfg2000

mono217

Journeyman Pro
i707.photobucket.com
I play in the same 4 ball every week with my friends in the compition one is off +2 the other scratch and the other 3 and im always off the T last but I looka at it as a time to shine and always take tips in get lessons practice loads.

Practice is the holy grail of golf.