Are you having problems hitting the driver?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If so, you're not alone.
The most common fault I see is people try and hit it as hard as they can.
Now, while that's good fun, it doesn't always work because they hit the power too soon.

For right handers.........
Imagine driving a car round a left hand bend (this should suit driving instructors :D), if you hit the accelerator too soon you will either spin the car or end up in the ditch on the right or both.
Same with the golf swing.
But, if you hit the power at the right time, you can 'accelerate' as hard as you want.

I would say imagine the first 2 feet of the downswing is the same speed as the last 2 feet of the backswing you won't go far wrong.
And if you can finish in a balanced position, even better.
HTH

Wolf

Visit site
If so, you're not alone.
The most common fault I see is people try and hit it as hard as they can.
Now, while that's good fun, it doesn't always work because they hit the power too soon.

For right handers.........
Imagine driving a car round a left hand bend (this should suit driving instructors :D), if you hit the accelerator too soon you will either spin the car or end up in the ditch on the right or both.
Same with the golf swing.
But, if you hit the power at the right time, you can 'accelerate' as hard as you want.

I would say imagine the first 2 feet of the downswing is the same speed as the last 2 feet of the backswing you won't go far wrong.
And if you can finish in a balanced position, even better.

HTH
First ever group lesson I had as junior about 13/14 years old our club pro told me pretty much exactly that word for word and its stick with me ever since.

Good sound advice that thanks Bob